Author Topic: Northern Nevada/Northern California  (Read 3539 times)

Offline zeno

• Elder
    • View Profile
Northern Nevada/Northern California
« on: May 10, 2011, 11:33:31 am »
I doubt there is anyone who adheres to a raw animal food diet in Reno, Nevada, but if so, feel free to contact me!  O0

Offline pantherx

• Forager
    • View Profile
Re: Northern Nevada/Northern California
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 02:50:53 am »
Hello ,
               I have been here in Reno for about two years, originally from Michigan , and have been on a  90% raw vegan regime  for about one year , but recently  decided to start eating some raw meats .Locally the only store who sells grass fed beef is Whole Foods .  Where do you buy your products ?

I have tried every diet there is practically ,cooked vegetarian , Macrobiotics , Ayurveda , on and on , but it feels that raw food is what keeps my energy up .The trouble is I cannot take in enough calories on a raw vegan diet and definitely  need some good sources of raw protein to gain about twenty pounds and  get  to a normal weight while improving my health .
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 03:15:54 am by TylerDurden »

Offline zeno

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 07:15:43 pm »
Well, first off, stop shopping at Whole Foods--it's overpriced and the quality of the meat is dubious!

You can shop for quality, pre-frozen meats at the Great Basin Community Food Co-op. The meats are sourced locally from a farm in Fallon. The only downside is the meats are pre-frozen.

Other than Whole Foods and the Co-op, there aren't any store fronts to get quality grass-fed meats. Of course, you can get some raw, unfrozen seafood at other grocery stores around Reno.

When you have the chance I'd like to meet up! A friend and I may be buying an animal soon to butcher. Perhaps you'd like to be a part of it?

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 08:37:23 pm »
true! i worked at whole foods market for five years
they make the LARGEST PROFIT in the meat department, honestly those guys get paid at least 25 an hour due to profit shares, etc.
a year after i worked there i was still receiving profit gain pay checks due to the deli really pushing sales and jacking up prices! 
there produce is also extremely over priced, i have been a produce buyer and their margins are insane!
also the most bacteria ridden depts happen to be the meat and deli!
go to eatwild.com or localharvest.com and find a ranch!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 08:39:49 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline pantherx

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 12:13:43 am »
Thanks for the great information , I have shopped at Great Basin one time  before but never realized they sold  locally produced meat. Whole Foods is overpriced for sure ,  I usually  buy a couple items such lose red beets and watercress . My health is the number one factor in making culinary decisions , heart disease  and gluten are some tough problems ! I followed the Price - Pottinger  diet  for about a year straight , which included mostly raw or slightly steamed vegetables and raw venison . It was perfect for me at that time (1989). All my so called vegetarian friends convinced me that meat eating was detrimental ...etc  it's complicated .

It would be great to meet up with both of you, we could  support our common raw food ideals to start . Lets talk  then when time permits.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk