Author Topic: Too Much Liver in Diet?  (Read 20026 times)

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Too Much Liver in Diet?
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2012, 11:49:50 am »
US Wellness $4.19 a pound plus shipping. That's 25% more than Slankers - but I guess I gotta do what I gotta do! That will make feeding my beagle cost about $300 a month - not to mention the other two and the chickens. I'll have to research if they use the whole animal. The bison people are outrageously expensive I'm afraid.

Thanks so much Zi for the lead! I sure do need some alternatives.

Modification:

Looks like US Wellness just uses two organs and is LEAN meat (they brag about it like it's good or something). That's not going to work. I need to keep my beagle in ketogenesis and for that I think I need the whole animal.

I might have found someone today that maybe, might, perhaps could sell me a whole goat and then they might be starting up selling whole cow ground up for pet food for local folk so I could continue to get a supply. I'll know tomorrow. Wish me luck!

I'm still waiting on Slankers though hoping and praying that they can fill my order.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 01:11:46 pm by Dorothy »

Offline Joy2012

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2012, 01:54:20 pm »
So Joy - YOU'RE the reason Slankers can't fill my order!  >: ;)  And you already have WF to buy from and I don't. Bwwwwaaaa.

But really - no food for doggies, no food for chickens - I'm never going to recommend Slankers again! They won't let me automatically order but don't have food for me when I do order. My poor beagle is suffering because of the radical change in diet.

Without a constant food source - how on earth can someone do a ketogenic diet?! You need ALL the organs - the whole animal. Slankers is undependable. Sucks.

What culture are you Joy?

Nope, Dorothy.  My very first order from Slanker's has not yet been shipped.  So, blame on Slanker's.  ;)   But I am not upset with them.  There was a bad drought and they are just being honest.  I would rather they be honest with me than shipping me something of less quality.
As there has been good rain from heaven lately, let us hope this year Slanker's will be blessed and so do we.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2012, 09:49:16 pm »
I had to troll around craigslist for a few months looking for sheep and goats before I got a good source.

Most people who post adds are trying to down size their flocks. There was a lot of people who wanted to find homes for their pet livestock.

I eventually talked to a woman who was trying to sell her older flock of wool sheep, she didn't want me to eat her sheep, but she had a friend that lived only 10 miles from me that raised meat sheep. I got 5 of the most delicious tasting sheep ever from the lady, for an excellent price.(I soon ate all her unwanted males).

Once I finished off her extra sheep, I asked the lady to call around for me and she eventually found a friend who has six to get rid off. They are all raised up on a hillside in Kentucky, and grass feed. These farmers are just as fanatic about raising healthy animals as I am about eating healthy animals. Both family farmers live in nice cabins, and have well kept grounds. The Kentucky hills has some of the cleanest, most nutritious soil for raising grass fed animals as well.
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2012, 08:46:00 am »
Nope, Dorothy.  My very first order from Slanker's has not yet been shipped.  So, blame on Slanker's.  ;)   But I am not upset with them.  There was a bad drought and they are just being honest.  I would rather they be honest with me than shipping me something of less quality.
As there has been good rain from heaven lately, let us hope this year Slanker's will be blessed and so do we.

But it wasn't the drought! They told me my last order that they were just fine. I think it was demand and process (unless they were more honest with you than me ;) ) But at least you are off the hook now Joy! Good thing too. Since we live in the same town I might meet you one day and it could get pretty ugly if you go around chiseling in on my meat supply! snark snark ha ha.

Finally though - next week they said they will send out one third of my order and not give me the discount for the quantity I ordered even though because they will be shipping it separately over time because they don't have enough. Better than nothing! I didn't hear back from that other farm today like I was supposed to. :( I'll call tomorrow and see what they can do. I KNOW I will find something.

Hey Joy - are you far along with any of this stuff yet to ever share an order with me? I'm hunting hard for small farmers.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2012, 08:50:32 am »
I had to troll around craigslist for a few months looking for sheep and goats before I got a good source.

Most people who post adds are trying to down size their flocks. There was a lot of people who wanted to find homes for their pet livestock.

I eventually talked to a woman who was trying to sell her older flock of wool sheep, she didn't want me to eat her sheep, but she had a friend that lived only 10 miles from me that raised meat sheep. I got 5 of the most delicious tasting sheep ever from the lady, for an excellent price.(I soon ate all her unwanted males).

Once I finished off her extra sheep, I asked the lady to call around for me and she eventually found a friend who has six to get rid off. They are all raised up on a hillside in Kentucky, and grass feed. These farmers are just as fanatic about raising healthy animals as I am about eating healthy animals. Both family farmers live in nice cabins, and have well kept grounds. The Kentucky hills has some of the cleanest, most nutritious soil for raising grass fed animals as well.

Way to go Sabertooth! Nice. I can just see those green hills of Kentucky when reading your post. That sure does sound like the best place for goats.

I never really thought of craig's list because I want the animal ground up by a processing plant - but I guess even a small farmer can do that themselves or send it to a plant. I'm really trying to find a farmer that will keep on getting stock and replenishing to keep an even supply - otherwise I was thinking of searching c-list for hunters that have deer. Deer are what are really plentiful around here. My dogs adore venison.

Offline Joy2012

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2012, 11:51:11 am »
Hey Joy - are you far along with any of this stuff yet to ever share an order with me? I'm hunting hard for small farmers.

I might not be the right person, Dorothy.  My need is small as hubby does not want to bite into bloody animal stuff yet.  If Slanker's does not meet my small need for organs, I will just buy beef and veal liver from WF and fish from HEB.  I also eat/enjoy  a good quantity of raw dairy.  Honestly I do not know if this animal diet will work for me. I have not felt any difference (I have mostly done raw Paleo this past month). So I am yet to be convinced that this animal diet works for me.  I do not know where I will be two months down the road. So I only plan month by month.

You sound somewhat desperate. You must have great love for your family members who are waiting for you to feed them.  I pray you will have succees in locating trust-worthy suppliers.  :)

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2012, 12:11:13 pm »
I might not be the right person, Dorothy.  My need is small as hubby does not want to bite into bloody animal stuff yet.  If Slanker's does not meet my small need for organs, I will just buy beef and veal liver from WF and fish from HEB.  I also eat/enjoy  a good quantity of raw dairy.  Honestly I do not know if this animal diet will work for me. I have not felt any difference (I have mostly done raw Paleo this past month). So I am yet to be convinced that this animal diet works for me.  I do not know where I will be two months down the road. So I only plan month by month.

You sound somewhat desperate. You must have great love for your family members who are waiting for you to feed them.  I pray you will have succees in locating trust-worthy suppliers.  :)

That is sweet of you to say Joy - I am kinda desperate for my doggie with cancer. The ketogenic diet is important for her. My other poochie is getting skin stuff since running out of good food too - I hate having to treat him with coconut oil and making him look a mess when it's so easy to prevent instead. And my other old dog is hacking. My husband has what he needs glad to say.

If you aren't needing the whole animal then it's not nearly as hard.

The good news is that I AM getting a box next week!

So Joy, what was diet before trying raw paleo?

Offline Joy2012

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2012, 12:30:32 pm »

So Joy, what was diet before trying raw paleo?

Dorothy, It is a blessing that you have three pets to love. I am sure they adore you too.

I read RawFoodTalk often these past several years.  However I was not strictly raw vegan.  When I ate with friends, I did not refrain from animal foods.  But I did not have vibrant health so I was still looking for an ideal diet. One month ago I was just looking for a non-vegan raw forum that would accept raw dairy and not brand animal-eaters as un-ethical; and I bumped into this raw paleo forum.  I have read much this past month and am getting a preliminary knowledge regarding how raw paleo/low carb works.   Now I do hope it works for me.  The most obvious sign would be that my long-time dark eye circle would go away.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2012, 01:01:29 pm »
Dark circles often have to do with dehydration (kidneys) and dehydration can often be helped a great deal by increasing fat intake. Maybe that can help you? Have you been eating animal fat? How much water do you drink? Does it run in your family - sometimes it's just genetic.

I understand fully about not seeing any difference - but that might be because you are already pretty healthy. I think here the biggest changes I've noticed seem to have come to people that were the most sick. I haven't seen any changes at all since including red meat in my diet. The biggest difference I personally have experienced are ease, enjoyment and diversity - but I think those are worth a lot. When I added other raw animal foods like eggs, dairy and fish there were too many other variables to fully judge their affects.

Logically, keeping some animal products in the diet if you can get good stuff seems prudent even if you don't feel any big differences. I would work on tweeking this for a bit. If I were you, I might try going without dairy for awhile like some folks here say made a real big difference. I mean to really try raw paleo and give it it's full shot would mean not eating dairy. Who knows? Maybe that might be the thing that swings it. It's all an experiment right?

Offline Joy2012

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2012, 01:56:57 pm »
Dorothy, thanks for input.
Dark eye circle does not run in my family.  I got dark eye circle because of a very long period of poor quality sleep several years ago due to internal struggles.  Well, I guess my sleep pattern could be more regular and disciplined even now.    I did not drink much water because I used to eat much fruit.  I drink 8 cups daily now because VLC makes me thirsty.

A Chinese medicine doctor told me that my liver and kidneys were not working well. So I am hoping to get some grass-fed  kidneys/livers to see if they will help. Oh, you asked me about my ethnicity. I am from Taiwan originally so my ethnicity is Chinese. Chinese thinking is that if you are weak in a certain organ then eating much of that organ of aminals will bring healing.

I am relying upon cheese/coconut oil/nuts for fat. I have never had any problem with dairy. And in my raw vegan days I did not have dairy for years and that did not bring vibrant health to me.   I am still waiting for my marrow bones to be shiped. If I like marrow, I will cut out dairy for a while.

"Logically, keeping some animal products in the diet if you can get good stuff seems prudent even if you don't feel any big differences. "  That is right. So I am going to give raw animal foods a try for several months at least.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2012, 09:29:41 pm »
Dorothy

If you are looking for cheap dog food, you may want to cruze the highways for fresh road kill. I use to pick up deer off the side of the road. I would eat what I found salvageable; the heart, liver and kidneys where delicious. I threw the awful to the chickens and the rest of the more mangled scraps to the dog.

I have a little Shetland sheep dog that was raised on raw meat scraps.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2012, 10:40:20 pm »
Hey Joy, you wrote,

"I am relying upon cheese/coconut oil/nuts for fat. I have never had any problem with dairy. And in my raw vegan days I did not have dairy for years and that did not bring vibrant health to me.   I am still waiting for my marrow bones to be shiped. If I like marrow, I will cut out dairy for a while."

I can understand how on raw vegan you might not have experienced vibrant health without dairy - but that does not necessarily mean that you won't when eating raw paleo. Raw vegan might not have had what you needed generally to achieve vibrant health - kinda hard to do that say without vitamin b12 as an example. If you give up dairy when you're fasting that wouldn't exactly count right? You have to conduct your experiment with all the same variables in place. Do you feel any better now than when you were raw vegan?

Kidneys - right - life force. Lack of sleep sure can stress out the kidneys. Kidney strength can be a bit tough to regenerate - but I'm sure you can. You know kidney 1 at the bottom of the foot right? I just love holding that point. I think doing that has helped my kidneys some. I hold that with liver 3 on the top of the foot at the same time. Feels so good.

Offline Joy2012

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2012, 01:02:36 pm »
Dorothy, thank you for your input, which gives me food for thought.
So self-ministered massage/acupuncture works for you? Maybe I should investigate this branch of ancient Chinese medicine.

"Do you feel any better now than when you were raw vegan? " Not really. But it has been only one month.  Besides I am not really suffering bad health....So I will give raw animal food more time.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2012, 01:35:15 pm »
Sabertooth, I told my husband your suggestion that I load up our car with dead deer and he almost split his side laughing at the vision of me doing that. I can't even imagine lifting up a dead dear let alone putting it into the car!

It's such a great idea really and I wish I could do it, I'm just not ready for that yet.

A woman on my chicken meetup group told me she did that and slit open the belly for her dogs that guard her other animals and they feasted off the carcass for days. I was so impressed!

Maybe one day I will be that strong.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2012, 11:57:02 pm »
Dorothy

If you are looking for cheap dog food, you may want to cruze the highways for fresh road kill.

This is actually genius.  I don't have a dog right now, but this has got to be the smartest/cheapest way to feed a dog I've ever heard of.  I might even eat the liver and organs myself, if it's not too high already.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2012, 06:52:45 am »
I guess I never realized how lucky I am to live around such a rural area.

I also have the advantage of knowing a few roving hillbilly's who help me search for fresh kill.

My bosses brother hit a 180 pound doe, in the head with his truck. The rest of the body was fully intact. So he loads it into the truck bed and takes it to my front door.

A Mexican co worker and his brother picked up a small buck for me. He will also set deer off to the side of the road and call me to pick it up.

In the summer time I will ride all around hooking up pool equipment. I got a deer, a ground hog and several squires, just on the way back from work last summer. A Palestinian co worker helped me load the deer into the work van. 

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2012, 12:34:04 pm »
i've been wondering about too much liver... i've been eating egg yolks and lamb liver for breakfast and i love eating the liver... only a few ounces, but i'm entirely addicted to my morning liver!

i expect the liver will not be pleasing to me once i've had enough??  or at least i can recognize signs of too much vitamin a.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2012, 04:14:40 pm »
I don't think it's easy to get vitamin A overdose from eating raw liver too much. Even Stefansson mentioned getting some stomach-problems as a warning after eating polar bear liver, and it's only the livers of Arctic animals which are in any way dangerous.

I once ate far too much raw liver(only eating raw ox liver every 2nd week) for some months, and what eventually happened was that my body refused to absorb any nutrients from it, and I just quickly got diarrhea after eating any liver. Otherwise, I had no symptoms.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Fermenter Zym

• Bear Hunter
  • microcosm monkey, navigating inner-space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2012, 11:11:18 am »
I don't think it's easy to get vitamin A overdose from eating raw liver too much. Even Stefansson mentioned getting some stomach-problems as a warning after eating polar bear liver, and it's only the livers of Arctic animals which are in any way dangerous.

I once ate far too much raw liver(only eating raw ox liver every 2nd week) for some months, and what eventually happened was that my body refused to absorb any nutrients from it, and I just quickly got diarrhea after eating any liver. Otherwise, I had no symptoms.

Tyler, did you eat only liver every day for an entire week?

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2012, 12:35:50 pm »
I've eaten over 1kg of liver. It's a complete myth you can sick from it you just crap it out.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2012, 12:39:40 pm »
Tyler, did you eat only liver every day for an entire week?
Yes. Every alternate week, that is. I had found raw organic, grassfed liver to be ultra-cheap(2 pounds sterling per kilo) and I knew raw liver was very nutritious so  thought this was a great way to avoid extra costs. Turned out not to work for me, though.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Fermenter Zym

• Bear Hunter
  • microcosm monkey, navigating inner-space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2012, 01:03:04 pm »
Yes. Every alternate week, that is. I had found raw organic, grassfed liver to be ultra-cheap(2 pounds sterling per kilo) and I knew raw liver was very nutritious so  thought this was a great way to avoid extra costs. Turned out not to work for me, though.

I actually think I thrived on similar amounts at one point. I had no idea about Vitamin A overdose at the time, and I probably ate 1/2 pound a liver every day for three months. I could be wrong in that estimate but I remember buying 7 pounds every two weeks or so.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk