Author Topic: Land of the free indeed!  (Read 4184 times)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Land of the free indeed!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 11:54:32 pm »
That is just wonderful. Here in the UK, we are treated like children with so many substances/chemicals prohibited and  no right to carry guns etc.. The US is so much more mature re the guns issue. Sure, there may be Columbine-like shootings in the US every now and then as a result(easily solved anyway by allowing everyone everywhere to carry guns to thwart such potential threats), but it does mean more freedom for the rest of us.

I heard of a similiar campaign where a US-based company insisted that every one of its employees own a  gun of some sort.

There was even a marvellous SF story I read once which featured a possible future where the average  American family had a nuclear missile in their back-yard!
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Brother

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 12:16:50 am »
LOL. Well. M.A.D taken to a whole new level.

I share your views a long way down the line. Where the record skips a beat for me, is in the fact that we are faced with atleast 2 generations who have been raised to believe they are going to be rockstars. All of them. A very narcassistic view on life. In responsible hands, guns are what makes the government fear its subjects,, just like it should be. In immature hands, it is a recipe for national disaster.

Michael Moore wondered why there could be so many guns in Canada but so few people using them to run nuts in the street compared to the US. I think the above is part of the explanation. The same could be said about our nation. We have pretty strict gun laws, but there is A LOT of perfectly legal high powered hunting rifles and shooters (you just have to take a course + test to own one or more). We just dont use them to shoot eachother with that much, and part of that is because they are not easily available, not because we are smarter. To make more liberal gun laws at this point would be a disaster imo.

Tl;Dr - "Just because you are smart and responsible does not mean the rest of the world is. It is a dangerous assumption. Evidence so far argues that the large majority are not"

Offline Brother

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 12:25:23 am »
Orwell was wrong. it is not 'big brother', it is 'Big Mother'.

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 12:59:19 am »
Remember one of the kids who shot up columbine what on drugs prescribed by doctors. They kept that quiet and blamed the inanimate objects(guns). He was on the same crap I was on. I refused to take it when I was introduced to cannabis at 15. Now with RAF I don't medicate with anything!

This is just a few links

http://www.happinessonline.org/BeTemperate/p1.htm

http://www.thebinarycircumstance.com/2007/04/20/2893/did-prescriptions-medications-contribute-the-columbine-killings/

http://www.infowars.com/articles/us/columbine_shooter_prescribed_antidepressant.htm

The link Is awesome, we need to have more of this. maybe a free uzi when you upgrade your phone at verizon wireless?  ;D

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 01:07:41 am »
That is just wonderful. Here in the UK, we are treated like children with so many substances/chemicals prohibited and  no right to carry guns etc.. The US is so much more mature re the guns issue. Sure, there may be Columbine-like shootings in the US every now and then as a result(easily solved anyway by allowing everyone everywhere to carry guns to thwart such potential threats), but it does mean more freedom for the rest of us.

I heard of a similiar campaign where a US-based company insisted that every one of its employees own a  gun of some sort.

There was even a marvellous SF story I read once which featured a possible future where the average  American family had a nuclear missile in their back-yard!

World is way better off if guns are banned. End of story.
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

Offline Brother

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 03:01:39 am »
The link Is awesome, we need to have more of this. maybe a free uzi when you upgrade your phone at verizon wireless?

;D

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 03:36:22 am »
World is way better off if guns are banned. End of story.

The world would be way better off without guns. however that is not an option, government can only control the obedient followers.
Guns are here to stay so we might as well have them as evenly distributed as possible.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 06:27:12 am by TylerDurden »

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 05:14:29 am »
The world would be way better off without guns. however that is not an option, government can only control the obedient followers.
Guns are here to stay so we wight as well have them as evenly distributed as possible.

thanks for saying that. couldn't have said it better

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 05:36:23 am »
    I have walked with a pistol.  I am really not sure if could ever kill anyone no matter what. I do think guns should not be banned. Violent evil people will run guns, and that won't stop them.

Oh, I hear a town near where I live, that they don't let anyone rent or buy a residence if the don't have a gun.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 10:29:26 am »
    I have walked with a pistol.  I am really not sure if could ever kill anyone no matter what. I do think guns should not be banned. Violent evil people will run guns, and that won't stop them.

Oh, I hear a town near where I live, that they don't let anyone rent or buy a residence if the don't have a gun.

I would never want to, but time is limited for the anyone who tries to hurt anyone I love, or any peaceful person in my presence. If we accept lower level tyranny as normal, then I would not be surprised to see tyrants running around in positions of power.

That town might be one of the safest places in the world.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk