Author Topic: butter attack  (Read 20355 times)

Offline rawlion

• Elder
    • View Profile
Re: butter attack
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2009, 01:46:36 am »
correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't all those hormones PROTEINS, therefore their presence in raw butter or ghee would be very little?

This is just what I wanted to say. There may be plenty of hormones in milk, but they are protein bound, so little if any remain in butter...
It’s time to Eat Like An Animal!

Offline rawlion

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2009, 01:51:27 am »
Rawlion, butter is more expensive than most suet (when comparing grain-fed to grain-fed or grass-fed to grass-fed). Do you think butter is superior to suet, nutritionally? If not, why bother with it?

Personally, I find butter to be more easily digested as compared to suet.

Here are some further reasons why would I be so insistent that you eat butter... Take a look at the long list of the benefits you receive when you include it in your diet:

1 Butter is rich in the most easily absorbable form of Vitamin A necessary for thyroid and adrenal health.
2 Contains lauric acid, important in treating fungal infections and candida.
3 Contains lecithin, essential for cholesterol metabolism.
4 Contains anti-oxidants that protect against free radical damage.
5 Has anti-oxidants that protect against weakening arteries.
6 Is a great source of Vitamins E and K.
7 Is a very rich source of the vital mineral selenium.
8 Saturated fats in butter have strong anti-tumor and anti-cancer properties.
9 Butter contains conjugated linoleic acid, which is a potent anti-cancer agent, muscle builder, and immunity booster
10 Vitamin D found in butter is essential to absorption of calcium.
11 Protects against tooth decay.
12 Is your only source of an anti-stiffness factor, which protects against calcification of the joints.
13 Anti-stiffness factor in butter also prevents hardening of the arteries, cataracts, and calcification of the pineal gland.
14 Is a source of Activator X, which helps your body absorb minerals.
15 Is a source of iodine in highly absorbable form.
16 May promote fertility in women.
17 Is a source of quick energy, and is not stored in our bodies adipose tissue.
18 Cholesterol found in butterfat is essential to children's brain and nervous system development.
19 Contains Arachidonic Acid (AA) which plays a role in brain function and is a vital component of cell membranes.
20 Protects against gastrointestinal infections in the very young or the elderly.

maybe even more...

Offline rawlion

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2009, 02:58:51 am »
Butter is mainly small/medium chain triglycerides, while fat is mainly long chain TG. The former is metabolised like sugar, while the latter does not burden the liver.

You are wrong.

In addition to saturation, fatty acids are short, medium, or long.
Short chain fatty acids (SCFA) are fatty acids with aliphatic tails of fewer than six carbons.
Medium chain fatty acids (MCFA) are fatty acids with aliphatic tails of 6–12 carbons, which can form medium chain triglycerides.
Long chain fatty acids (LCFA) are fatty acids with aliphatic tails longer than 12 carbons.

I prepared the chart. You can see that butter is mostly LCFA, just like suet:

Offline rawlion

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2009, 03:01:06 am »
Butter is mainly small/medium chain triglycerides, while fat is mainly long chain TG. The former is metabolised like sugar, while the latter does not burden the liver.

No, not quite like sugar.

Short- and medium chain fatty acids are absorbed directly into the blood via intestine capillaries and travel through the portal vein just as other absorbed nutrients do. However, long chain fatty acids are too large to be directly released into the tiny intestine capillaries. Instead they are absorbed into the fatty walls of the intestine villi and reassembled again into triglycerides. The triglycerides are coated with cholesterol and protein (protein coat) into a compound called a chylomicron.
Within the villi, the chylomicron enters a lymphatic capillary called a lacteal, which merges into larger lymphatic vessels. It is transported via the lymphatic system and the thoracic duct up to a location near the heart (where the arteries and veins are larger). The thoracic duct empties the chylomicrons into the bloodstream via the left subclavian vein. At this point the chylomicrons can transport the triglycerides to where they are needed.

carnivore

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2009, 03:15:06 am »
Butter has 19% of short/medium fatty acids, while suet has only 2.8%.

I see butter more like a medecine than a food. W.A. Price got good results with his high quality butter. They are indeed many available nutrients that most of us lack on a SAD.
However, like medecine, it can have some side effects.

Offline rawlion

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2009, 03:24:55 am »
Butter has 19% of short/medium fatty acids, while suet has only 2.8%.

I see butter more like a medecine than a food. W.A. Price got good results with his high quality butter. They are indeed many available nutrients that most of us lack on a SAD.
However, like medecine, it can have some side effects.

Food scientists have long noted the nutritional benefits of medium-chain triglycerides...

http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org/article10612.htm

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2009, 11:28:46 am »
How's the butter working out?

Offline rawlion

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2009, 12:23:51 am »
Well, butter is a HUGE dilemma for me. That is why I decided to start this thread.

Way back in 2007, when I just started the Primal Diet, little did I know that some foods could be problematic. At the time my adrenals were strong enough to protect me from any allergic reactions. I could eat dairy, eggs, fruits without problems. But when I exhausted them through intermittent fasting everything changed dramatically. My overall health declined rapidly and my tolerance to most foods severely decreased. The key to treating allergies is to build the adrenals. So far it has been the greatest challenge in my life.

As compared to other animal fats, butter, along with yolks, seems to be much easier for digestion. Suet would be the hardest. Marrow and soft subcutaneous fat somewhere in between. So the issue of digestibility worried me most.

Then the quality problem. We don’t have such notion as “organic” or “grass fed” in this country. And with the fat and organs you risk the most of getting all those toxic substances that the animals might have been given. Of all the fats that I have access to, I can only be sure about butter (I do it myself from fermented cream). All the rest are risky choices…

Finally, although the quality of butter in question is exceptional, it is still the cheapest source of fat around here…

Currently I don’t consume any butter. Just like the eggs, it is purely seasonal food for me. I usually eat it from early spring and through the summer. However, in view of certain circumstances, i.e. my poor digestion, compromised health and all other fats possible toxicity, I was pondering whether I should or should not rely on butter for the rest of the year.

In any way, I have found this discussion to be rather useful and informative…

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2009, 07:10:29 am »
Wow, butter cheaper than suet? I've never seen that before. The price for grain-fed suet here has been 50 - 90 cents/lb; this week Land 'o Lakes butter is on sale @ $2.99/lb, and it's usually more. Grass-fed suet was recently introduced at the local health food market. It started out at $5.99 pound, which I think was a mistake, because that is the same price as the grass-fed beef. Then it dropped to 90 cents a pound, which was a bonanza! I'm assuming the new price was just a temporary reduction to clear out some stock, though it wasn't that old and there was no sale tag. Strange, but I'm not complaining. Slanker's grass-fed suet is $2.48/lb, which is still cheaper than butter on sale here.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk