Author Topic: Manuka Honey  (Read 7706 times)

Offline Coatue

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Manuka Honey
« on: August 12, 2010, 10:06:50 pm »
 Is raw manuka honey truly the best honey to have? Seems to be the one that sticks out about the rest.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Manuka Honey
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 10:29:22 pm »
I would be suspicious of any jarred honey, but especially one from abroad. I only buy raw honeycomb(usually heather honeycomb) from local beekeepers, on a seasonal basis, as I want to be 100% sure.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 04:03:47 am »
I've seen it touted as the most anti-biotic & anti-microbial of the honey. It seems to be the one most recommend for treatment of wounds, etc. Tastes horrible IMO.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 04:06:25 am »
Manuka Honey = Over-hyped honey

I'm sure that if they found some other plant with superpowers, the honey from it would contain superpowers as well.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 09:38:06 pm »
I tend to believe that local honey is the best because the immune system of the bees are dealing with the same climate and stressors that our bodies are dealing with and so you take on the intelligence of the honey which has the bees inherent immunity intelligence.

It's like the tea story. Supposedly the best tea comes from Sri Lanka where the weather is very hot and humid. The immune system of the tea therefore has to devise strategies to fight off the infectiion  / rotting of the local humid environment. It does so by creating (via it's immune system) a tendency to reject water from the plant.

This translates in us that when we drink tea it has a diuretic effect. (makes us urinate.)

Interestingly England which I have always heard has a damp climate is the home of some of the worlds most avid tea drinkers.
Cheers
Al

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 06:31:40 am »
Interestingly England which I have always heard has a damp climate is the home of some of the worlds most avid tea drinkers.

ha, ha  :)  I can confirm that your suspicions are correct raw-al.  Tea drinking is expected of all upstanding English citizens at an early age and is a powerful social tool.  Interesting link between our damp climate and tea consumption! 

I like your broad thinking and also agree with your beliefs on local honey.
1. When offered something that is too good to be true. It is.
2. Greed and fear are poor states of mind in which to make decisions; like shopping at the supermarket when you are hungry.
3. Exponential growth is mathematically unsustainable.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 01:16:32 am »
Michael,
Each society has it's ways and sensibilities. In Canada we get lots of radio, tele stuff from England and some of my ancestors are from your way. The stuff about stopping the war of life for a spot of tea are a delightful window into the life of jolly ole "E".
Cheers
Al

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 06:45:40 am »
Yes raw-al, a 'spot of tea' has been an integral ritual of life in England for some time.  I presume it dates back to the days of Empire when the British tea clippers such as the Cutty Sark would bring teas back from India.  Of course, the whole sorry slave trade and sugar industry was a big part of the equation too but that's another story!  It's difficult to imagine English life before tea.

As you so rightly say, each society and culture has it's own tradition.  In my view, one of the saddest facts of the globalisation trend is the homogenisation of such unique cultures.  My globe-trotting best friend has now visited, I think, about 163 different countries and forever relays disheartening tales such as eating spaghetti bolognese in a hut in Nepal whilst watching premiership football.
2. Greed and fear are poor states of mind in which to make decisions; like shopping at the supermarket when you are hungry.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 08:35:24 am »
Michael,
It''s sad to go to aboriginal places in Canada and see fried chicken outlets as a permanent part of their diet. Even inside the Arctic circle! I was in Inuvik Canada a couple of months ago and there everyone is eating all the garbage food from the south. I saw the midnight sun also, very cool, kids playing outside at 4 in the morning.

England wasn't the only country to indulge in the slave trade. It still goes on today in parts of the world.
Cheers
Al

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 06:41:33 am »
England wasn't the only country to indulge in the slave trade. It still goes on today in parts of the world.

That wouldn't surprise me at all.  England, I think, were the driving force of the slave trade sadly and of so much evil during the days of Empire.

It''s sad to go to aboriginal places in Canada...

Yes, I can imagine.  I spent a few months backpacking around your great country in '95 raw-al but only had time to go coast to coast.  Perhaps fortunately, I didn't get time to visit any aboriginal areas.  Sadly, I didn't get to make it to the Northern territories at all.  A biologist and outdoor enthusiast friend of mine canoed up the Yukon and spent a few months up there working (studying some kind of wildlife I think).  It sounded like an incredible adventure!  Inuvik is about as far North as it goes!  What were you doing up there?  Sad and disheartening to hear that it's also gone the same way as most other places.  It must still have been a breathtaking region to visit and the midnight sun must've been an incredible experience.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 07:29:44 am »
That wouldn't surprise me at all.  England, I think, were the driving force of the slave trade sadly and of so much evil during the days of Empire.

Yes, I can imagine.  I spent a few months backpacking around your great country in '95 raw-al but only had time to go coast to coast.  Perhaps fortunately, I didn't get time to visit any aboriginal areas.  Sadly, I didn't get to make it to the Northern territories at all.  A biologist and outdoor enthusiast friend of mine canoed up the Yukon and spent a few months up there working (studying some kind of wildlife I think).  It sounded like an incredible adventure!  Inuvik is about as far North as it goes!  What were you doing up there?  Sad and disheartening to hear that it's also gone the same way as most other places.  It must still have been a breathtaking region to visit and the midnight sun must've been an incredible experience.
Recently I have done some reading on slavery and indeed most countries/civilizations and believe it or not religions have indulged in it including  ??? Christianity  ??? .
I lived somewhat north 53 degrees 33 minutes north for 20 years or so and was a vege the whole time so I missed out on the caribou, moose, and various types of fish but recently I have done a bit of contract flying which has taken me to among other places Inuvik, 3 degrees inside the Arctic Circle. We flew over magnetic north coming back (Dassault Falcon 50) so at the speed we were going it was strange to watch the heading swing 40 degrees in a short distance. We thought the GPS was having a fit till we realized.
Years ago a friend invited a friend of his from England who came with us on a canoe trip through Labrador around 1991. That was an adventure!
Cheers
Al

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 03:18:29 am »
That doesn't surprise me at all raw-al.  Like the British Empire, religions are not usually too far to be found from examples of greed, hatred, violence, prejudice and most other examples of negative human traits.  That must've been some interesting reading!  What were you reading particularly?

The canoe trip sounds like a great adventure!  I do love your great country.  More accurately, the landscape, people and laid-back lifestyle.  And, of course, two of your greatest exports - Joni Mitchell and Neil Young!  :)

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 10:48:28 am »
One book was called "Inheriting the Trade"
http://www.inheritingthetrade.com/
It was the story of an American guy from the North Eastern US whose ancestor was probably the largest slaver in the US at the time. His family still has some of the money made in "The Trade". He decided to check out the stories/history/records and then he went to Africa to the main place where the slaves were sent from. That part was heart breaking. There are lots of people who used various passages of Bible to justify it and indeed the churches in some places had slaves and there were churches close to where the slaves were held in Africa getting ready to be shipped over. The whole thing is incredible. I am sure there are lots of other books. I just stumbled on this one. In the US, the southern states get tarred with being the ones that were the longest and most heavily involved but that seems to be a whitewash if you'll pardon the pun.

Not that this has anything to do with Manuka Honey.....
Cheers
Al

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 04:23:42 am »
ha ha :)  yes, we do seem to have wandered off-topic somewhat!

Thanks for the book link raw-al.  Recommendations are always welcomed!  It's now in my amazon shopping basket.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 06:08:39 am »
Cheers
Al

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2010, 03:33:26 am »
Thanks Alan.  I hadn't seen that thread.  I'll have a look through the list!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk