Author Topic: question on raw milk  (Read 10264 times)

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
question on raw milk
« on: October 13, 2011, 02:58:11 am »
I dont have a source to raw cow milk...
But I do have a source to raw grassfed goat milk!!

I don't have any problems with dairy.. non at all in fact i dont have problems with it to such extent
that i can easily digest pasturized milk products (yup the highly Processed grainfed crap)

So I was wondering if I add raw grassfed goat milk to my diet will it be somehow different from cow milk??

Is it better than cow milk ? will it give me health more than cow milk??

I need your opinions  brothers as I feel that raw dairy might really be the best next thing in my life.

I crave milk i want milk but so far never gave raw milk a shot...

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: question on raw milk
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 03:01:52 am »
Goat milk is usually easier to digest.  It tends to cause more weight gain that cow's milk, in my experience.  I recommend fermenting it.

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 06:16:17 am »
Weight gain? Is it because it has more fats or carbs in it? Btw I would like to gain some more weight to bulk up and get slightly fat for the winter. What av says on raw goat milk?? Anybody here used this food?

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 11:05:15 am »
Weight gain? Is it because it has more fats or carbs in it? Btw I would like to gain some more weight to bulk up and get slightly fat for the winter. What av says on raw goat milk?? Anybody here used this food?

I think it aids weight gain because it's more absorbable/digestible.  I eat fermented raw goat milk pretty much daily.

Offline AwfulRawful

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 01:41:41 pm »
how do you go about fermenting it, just straight up kefir grains ooor ?

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 01:57:33 pm »
I think it aids weight gain because it's more absorbable/digestible.  I eat fermented raw goat milk pretty much daily.

Awesome!! can you tell me more about your experience with this food? how did you feel when you first started with it? what did it do for you? eeeeeeeeeeee im very excited I am introducing goat milk and goji berries to my diet but before im doing a huge research on them both  :)

And why you eat particularly goat milk and not cow ? what made you add this to your diet?

Thanks man!!

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 10:05:18 pm »
how do you go about fermenting it, just straight up kefir grains ooor ?

I just let it sit at room temp in a dark cupboard. I have used kefir in the past.  I have a friend who sometimes kefirs it for me, but I haven't done that in about 10 months or so.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 10:06:57 pm »
Awesome!! can you tell me more about your experience with this food? how did you feel when you first started with it? what did it do for you? eeeeeeeeeeee im very excited I am introducing goat milk and goji berries to my diet but before im doing a huge research on them both  :)

And why you eat particularly goat milk and not cow ? what made you add this to your diet?

Thanks man!!

It's not great for my teeth, but it doesn't completely destroy them. When it's very sour and fermented, I am careful to not let the whey sit on my teeth, otherwise it will make them sore.

It helps me keep some weight on.  I use goat because it's better for gaining weight.

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2011, 06:12:13 pm »
if it helps gain weight especially bulking for winters then its for me!

but cherimoya how do you store it at home? how long will it last at room temperature?
when should i know if i can drink it or throw it? should i put it in the fridge ??

how do i preserve raw milk or it will just turn into high milk or something??

Sorry if my question sound primitive but my experience with raw dairy is absolutely 0!  :'(

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2011, 07:16:08 pm »
how long will it last at room temperature?
when should i know if i can drink it or throw it? should i put it in the fridge ??

Keep it in a non porous container, like glass.  Add a little extra cream and a drop of honey.  Keep it in a dark cabinet. 

You preserve milk by making it into yogurt, kefir, butter and cheese.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2011, 08:12:19 pm »
This discussion should be moved to « Hot Topics » or perhaps to “Primal Diet” or “Weston Price” sections because:

- Just as grain, animal milk  was not consumed by hominids and humans until the Neolithic – except, perhaps, in extremely exceptional circumstances and in negligible amounts.
- No animal routinely drinks the milk of other animal species.
- No adult animal drinks milk.
- Consumption of milk of other animal species has been shown as one of the main causes of health troubles in the long run.

If you want to gain weight, train and build up your muscles with hard physical work and sports. If you want to become fat and maybe obese, eat cooked junk food - including cheese and other dairy products.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 08:17:35 pm by Iguana »
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2011, 10:21:56 pm »
if it helps gain weight especially bulking for winters then its for me!

but cherimoya how do you store it at home? how long will it last at room temperature?

Sorry if my question sound primitive but my experience with raw dairy is absolutely 0!  :'(

It will last a long time at room temp.  It just gets more and more fermented.

You throw it away if you can't stand to drink/eat it. 

You can refrigerate.  It slows down fermentation.  I don't refrigerate. 

It ferments just like most any other food will. 

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2011, 10:25:28 pm »
Iguana has a point, and I will shift the topic to the PD forum. Iguana, in future, if you notice this kind of raw-dairy-related topic before I do, please shift it to the Primal Diet forum, unless it is Weston-Price-related. There's a simple function below each post which enables you to do that.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Waldpfad

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 12:52:37 am »
About the weight gain on raw milk.
I've been drinking 2-3 gallons of raw goats milk for over a year now and lost 20 lbs. At the same time though, I switched to a primal/paleo/caveman/... diet cutting out all grains, all nuts and all beans and processed sugars.
I'm at a normal weight, stomach is flat but doesn't show a 6-pack.
Insulin is what drives weight gain, keep the raw milk and a few berries a day your only Carb intake a day.
It is literally impossible for me to get fat on this primal diet. Nuts put the weight on, not raw animal milk when fed grass. If you're aware of your daily carb intake there is NO way you will gain weight drinking nutritious, raw milk.

Just make sure you don't show any symptoms like bloating, cramping or headaches after consuming it. Sometimes when consuming too much (raw) milk you end up with constipation because of the imbalance of Mag/Cal. I don't recommend drinking tons of milk over long periods of time. Take seasonal breaks if you can, like during winter months when goats tend to 'dry up' anyways. 1 cup of raw milk a day for the rest of your life won't hurt you, but gulping down a quart or more a day will probably cause allergic symptoms over time and your body will let you know it. I know so because that's where I currently am.
My massive milk consumption is finally dwindling down, hopefully I can completely stop drinking milk all together this late fall + winter.
Raw milk is a great way to get all minerals and vitamins and hundreds of other good things not even discovered yet into your body and really nourish your skin, nails and hair.
Some people say even raw milk is bad for teeth. I've had the opposite experience. My teeth got stronger, the bone density in my face and head seems thicker and soft spots on teeth filled in with hard enamel.
Don't let people scare you from drinking raw milk. See for yourself what symptoms you might get (gas) and just drink either less or skip it. The gas is due to the fermentation process it undergoes when milk hits acid. Kinda like when you put vinegar and milk together, lots of air bubbles. It'll be gone the next day.

CitrusHigh

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2011, 01:08:12 am »
Wow that is a really solid perspective Waldpfad, I don't think I really disagree with anything except maybe nuts causing one to gain weight, considering the high levels of fat and fiber in them, and certainly not more likely than dairy (how sweet is a glass of fresh whole grassfed milk!) to do so. Other than that everything you said was right on. Dairy is great for some, but you really need to determine that for yourself, the signs will be there.

Offline RedMeat

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2011, 05:32:56 pm »
Just make sure you don't show any symptoms like bloating, cramping or headaches after consuming it. Sometimes when consuming too much (raw) milk you end up with constipation because of the imbalance of Mag/Cal. I don't recommend drinking tons of milk over long periods of time. Take seasonal breaks if you can, like during winter months when goats tend to 'dry up' anyways. 1 cup of raw milk a day for the rest of your life won't hurt you, but gulping down a quart or more a day will probably cause allergic symptoms over time and your body will let you know it. I know so because that's where I currently am.
My massive milk consumption is finally dwindling down, hopefully I can completely stop drinking milk all together this late fall + winter.
Raw milk is a great way to get all minerals and vitamins and hundreds of other good things not even discovered yet into your body and really nourish your skin, nails and hair.

What raw food can provide enough magnesium to balance large intake of raw milk? I've been asking myself this question for a long time. My magnesium levels always seem to be on the low side. I find it strange that a food that is supposed to be enough in itself to support a living being is not balanced in minerals !?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2011, 06:05:28 pm »
All I can think of are raw pumpkin seeds, which are extremely high in magnesium but very low indeed in calcium.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Fermenter Zym

• Bear Hunter
  • microcosm monkey, navigating inner-space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2011, 11:40:08 pm »
What raw food can provide enough magnesium to balance large intake of raw milk? I've been asking myself this question for a long time. My magnesium levels always seem to be on the low side. I find it strange that a food that is supposed to be enough in itself to support a living being is not balanced in minerals !?

I would assume it is due to the fact that it evolutionarily supports growing animals (rather than adults) so the calcium supports bone growth at that vital stage of development. That's just my guess.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2011, 12:05:19 pm »
What raw food can provide enough magnesium to balance large intake of raw milk?

Scallops are VERY magnesium-rich.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk