Author Topic: meat storage ideas?  (Read 14086 times)

Offline donrad

• Bear Hunter
  • Raw Omnivore
    • View Profile
Re: meat storage ideas?
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2010, 10:20:05 am »
I have been using my containers for a couple of years without problems. Don't see how they could explode as the have a vacuum inside. Implode possibly? I have 3 different brands all working good. They are clear plastic containers in many different sizes with lids that have rubber gaskets. A vacuum hose is hooked up to a one way valve on top which draws the air out when hooked to a vacuum pump.

Yes, I recommend experimenting with storing the meat at 50 degrees. That is also the optimal temp for red wine and cheese.

I'm inspired to get back to a plan I had researched about a year ago to construct a meat storage frig. The problem is that you can not maintain 50 degrees in them. The solution is to use a line voltage thermostat hooked up externally to the electrical cord with the probe stuck inside. Meat can be stored on racks as well as hung. Any old frig works fine. Better to have one with a single door so the freezer space is not lost. I thought about using an upright freezer but would have to rig a fan inside because they usually don't have fans. If kept outside in winter I would need a heat/cool thermostat with a heater of some sort.

It would be great to get a huge chunk of meat and take wafer thin slices off as needed. They do this in Europe and have a name for it.

Anyone done this sort of setup?
Naturally, Don

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk