Author Topic: Restricted calorie diet may not lead to longevity  (Read 5055 times)

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Restricted calorie diet may not lead to longevity
« on: August 30, 2012, 09:09:15 pm »

Offline Barefoot Instincto

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Restricted calorie diet may not lead to longevity
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 11:16:48 pm »
I saw a news report about this on the news this morning, but I can't help but think this study seems flawed.

I'm personally a strong believer in fasting, because its shown, when done properly, to have an amazing benefit in terms of healing. A load of science and personal experiences back this up, too.

What I don't agree with is a diet that is everyday constantly restricted by a certain amount. That's just simply keeping the body at a reduced state of efficiency. What I DO believe in is eating very healthy and normally everyday, and then once a week for 24 hours you fast with only water. This is roughly a 15 percent reduction in your overall diet, but the key is that its done in a much more proper way. Your body can be buzzing with nutrition the whole week, and then apply that nutrition and energy with the help of a fast like you never would otherwise be able to achieve without that concentration of a 24 straight block.

Regular monthly 2 and 3 day water fasts can be very beneficial as well. The important thing is that you do it right. Eat very nutritiously, wind down slowly for the fast beforehand, eating easier and a bit lighter. Then when you're done the fast, wind up again slowly, eating mostly veg items at first and bring your metabolism back up gently.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 01:37:36 am »
The key point re that study was that dietary composition and genes were more likely to lead to increased longevity, rather than CRing. This confirms what I've stated so often in the past, that the primary benefit of fasting was that people who ate smaller amounts of cooked, processed foods allowed their bodies more time/resources to get rid of the heat-created toxins produced by cooking, thus making them a little healthier and age at a slower rate. I suspect, therefore, that rawpalaeodieters get a smaller benefit than cooked-foodists from going in for IF or CR dieting.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Brad462

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 10:50:36 am »
I just did my own scientific inquiry and it said that scientists are full of shit. Perhaps you should meditate on this. I am full of great wisdom. 
I'm actually a really nice guy, once you get to blow me.

— Anthony Jeselnik

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 03:25:37 am »
Thank you for sharing your great wisdom, Brad. I don't know what we'd do without you.

CitrusHigh

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 10:17:03 am »
I just did my own scientific inquiry and it said that scientists are full of shit. Perhaps you should meditate on this. I am full of great wisdom. 

Well  would've missed out on a LOL withoutcha Brad, so thanks for chiming in! Funny AND true.

Offline Brad462

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 10:38:20 am »
Thanks. :)
I'm actually a really nice guy, once you get to blow me.

— Anthony Jeselnik

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 11:31:54 am »

Double Blind placebo controlled?

scientists have knobs on them
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline Duke

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 04:35:44 pm »
I saw a news report about this on the news this morning, but I can't help but think this study seems flawed.

I'm personally a strong believer in fasting, because its shown, when done properly, to have an amazing benefit in terms of healing. A load of science and personal experiences back this up, too.

What I don't agree with is a diet that is everyday constantly restricted by a certain amount. That's just simply keeping the body at a reduced state of efficiency. What I DO believe in is eating very healthy and normally everyday, and then once a week for 24 hours you fast with only water. This is roughly a 15 percent reduction in your overall diet, but the key is that its done in a much more proper way. Your body can be buzzing with nutrition the whole week, and then apply that nutrition and energy with the help of a fast like you never would otherwise be able to achieve without that concentration of a 24 straight block.

Regular monthly 2 and 3 day water fasts can be very beneficial as well. The important thing is that you do it right. Eat very nutritiously, wind down slowly for the fast beforehand, eating easier and a bit lighter. Then when you're done the fast, wind up again slowly, eating mostly veg items at first and bring your metabolism back up gently.

Good strategy. I am from the same opinion on this point.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk