Author Topic: It's too much!!!!!  (Read 2897 times)

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
It's too much!!!!!
« on: July 29, 2010, 04:55:24 am »
Without cooking, what would people have done if they killed an animal which was much larger than what they would like to eat in one day..?

Whether or not you know what would have been done, what do you think is the best option, if in 'the wilderness'? I said without cooking.. I know there is drying using a flame, but I don't think that's really going to be particularly good(but I don't know), and maybe they don't have fire.

Also consider other organisms which may wish to feast on the remainder of the catch, many of which you would not want near you.

Would it perhaps be best to leave what can't be eaten? After all, what's left goes back in to the environment, where it can be recycled into other animals which you can eat later... <-- Actually I think this is probably the ideal option.

5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: It's too much!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 06:47:25 am »
Without cooking, what would people have done if they killed an animal which was much larger than what they would like to eat in one day..?

Whether or not you know what would have been done, what do you think is the best option, if in 'the wilderness'? I said without cooking.. I know there is drying using a flame, but I don't think that's really going to be particularly good(but I don't know), and maybe they don't have fire.

Also consider other organisms which may wish to feast on the remainder of the catch, many of which you would not want near you.

Would it perhaps be best to leave what can't be eaten? After all, what's left goes back in to the environment, where it can be recycled into other animals which you can eat later... <-- Actually I think this is probably the ideal option.

Fire would keep predators away. And humans are naturally wasteful. Some people believe wolves that were friendly and not scared of humans would eat leftovers and eventually this is how dogs were domesticated.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 09:02:48 pm »
Raw meats can be dried in sunlight, no need for fire. Then there's the Inuit habit of freezing raw meats long term, the use of very stinky high-meat ...
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 09:49:00 pm »
What about the attraction of other predators?
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 09:51:00 pm »
What about the attraction of other predators?
HGs would see that as a bonus so as to get more prey that way. Besides, very few animals are so big that 1 tribe of people can't eat it all in one go.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 11:29:00 pm »
Some hunter people's set up drying and smoking huts near the kill site so that could be an option.

However some articles have described the paleolithic as a time of abundant game, so like other predators maybe we just take what we want and leave the rest.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk