Author Topic: Farming - "100% Grass-Fed" question  (Read 2252 times)

Offline Rawr

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
Farming - "100% Grass-Fed" question
« on: April 15, 2012, 10:09:39 am »
When a farmer feeds cattle "100% grass-fed" - what does he feed it during the winter when the grass is not available/under the snow?
Does he feed hay and still consider it "grass"? Sorry but I'm new in this topic, I've never farmed anything before, and want to know how this works so I know what to ask farmers and what to expect to hear if I want to have "100% grass-fed" beef. So far I know I should try to avoid buying grain-fed which is usually corn.

I've been thinking of actually suggesting a new forum category like "Hunting & Farming" for this type of information, but I'm still pretty new and not sure how many people would "chime in" on these topics with experience/knowledge. I've noticed some interspersed information about raising and feeding chickens (as far as I remember Dorothy is feeding them worms [I guess on top of grains? I've read somewhere that grains are "OK" for chickens and that the "bad stuff" for them is soy] and wrote about how they love them ;D), so maybe such category would catch on. :)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 10:22:15 am by RawR »

CitrusHigh

Re: Farming - Grass Fed - question
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 10:20:58 am »
Yes, make sure the farmer is clear that it's 100% grass fed. Just plain 'grassfed' can technically mean that the cows has seen pasture only once in its life. Same with pastured, just because they stand in the grass for a couple days of their life, does NOT mean they're not getting grains or worse.

During the winter, grassfed means they're fed stored forage, mean hay, haylage, or some other form of pasture. They should NOT be getting corn silage or anything else but dried grass and a clean mineral supplement eg : kelp, real salt or some other source that doesn't contain chemicals or artificial ingredients.

Also some farmers (like fucking slankers) spray poisons on their pastures and/or chemically de-worm  their animals, both are unacceptable ideally. The only inputs a ruminant animals should get is pasture forage and or browse (leaves).

Offline Rawr

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
Re: Farming - "100% Grass-Fed" question
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 11:00:39 am »
Thanks! I'll definitely be asking farmers along these lines and buying the most grass-fed & drug-free beef I will find "around".

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Farming - "100% Grass-Fed" question
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 01:56:38 am »
hay

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk