Author Topic: weight training  (Read 8416 times)

Offline Ricky

• Forager
    • View Profile
weight training
« on: July 04, 2011, 03:50:53 pm »
Hello friends....!
How does weight training differ to body building...?If anyone knows then please reply me...Your suggestions will be highly appreciated....Thanks in advance...!

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: weight training
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 06:47:10 pm »
Hello friends....!
How does weight training differ to body building...?If anyone knows then please reply me...Your suggestions will be highly appreciated....Thanks in advance...!
Bodybuilding is, or at least should be, strength training. One uses weights for strength training.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 07:12:48 pm by TylerDurden »
“A man should be able to build a house, butcher a hog, tan the hide,
preserve the meat, deliver a baby, nurture the sick and reassure the dying, fight a war … specialization is for insects.”

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 08:19:43 pm »
The idea behind body building is to increase muscle mass to build a bigger body I think. Weight training is used to achieve this. However, one can weight train without becoming huge like a body builder. Take Bruce Lee for example...he weight trained a lot and he was ripped as fuck, but was not huge like a body builder. A huge muscle mass would slow him down and hinder his martial arts performance. I think what must have stopped Bruce getting big was his high frequency/volume of training. This is just my thoughts.
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 08:57:44 pm »
To get stronger a muscle must get bigger. Without triggering strenght increases one cannot trigger growth increases. Without progressive overload it is impossible to trigger growth. Weight training allows for progressive overload because one can adjust the weight to be precisely right. To licht and intensity is to low to stimulate adaptation(growth) to heavy and the time under tension is to short to trigger growth.

Bruce lee could have been much stronger(and thus bigger) if he reduced volume and increased intensity. Bigger muwcle mass does not neccecary slow down. The speed of a limb is determand by the strength of the muscle moving it and the weight of it. The higher the strenght/weight ratio the faster one can move. In a small man a very large part of the bulk is bone and connective tissue. As one grows bigger the strength/weight ratio improves thus one gets faster. If one gets very big the effecienty of the muscle goes down because the angle of pull changes (part of the muscle is pulling the wrong way) Therefore there is a turning point at a certain muscular mass when strenght/weight ratio goes down again. This turning point is individual off course but lays very close to ones maximum potential for muscular mass. The reason a muscle can not grow bigger is because it can only grow thick to a certain percentage of its lenght, this is called aspect ratio. Only when a muscle aproaches it maximum aspect ratio (thickness vs lenght) does the efficientcy go down a lot. So for all practicall purposes we can say that the stronger (thus bigger) one gets the faster one gets. fat does not contribute strength but does add mass so for maximum speed one has to be ripped.

Someones with superior neuromuscular effeciency, lots of fast twitch fibres and good leverage factors is always much stronger than someone with the same muscular mass with less favourable physiology. Bein stronger with the same mass makes him much faster than the rest. (bruce lee was obviously genetically gifted to be faster/stronger than most)
preserve the meat, deliver a baby, nurture the sick and reassure the dying, fight a war … specialization is for insects.”

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 06:58:49 am »
Some professional sprinters are pretty big. This makes me think that big muscle won't slow you down.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 08:24:55 am »
What about agility, Sure strength and speed can be improved by heavy weight training, but does it come at the loss of agility. I personally want to build up functional strength while at the same time increase dexterity and flexibility.

The theory of weight training making one muscle bound does have a hint of truth to it, although it is often over stated. To much limited motion heavy weight lifting may build up great strength but leave one with limited flexibility and dexterity. I seriously doubt Bruce lee could perform his amazing feats if he were laden down with extra thick muscle tissue.

A muscle bound Mr. universe could never do this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SncapPrTusA
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 08:31:42 am by sabertooth »
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 02:23:15 pm »
muscle bound is myth. stronger people are usually more flexible because there stronger muscles can pull the limb further to its extreme position. fat does limit flexibility

when training correct, that is focussing on a largest possible range of movment in all exercises, strength training will greatly improve flexibility.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 04:54:49 pm »

when training correct, that is focusing on a largest possible range of movement in all exercises, strength training will greatly improve flexibility.
I agree that done properly weight training can have amazing results

What I am saying is that many who I see that train with weights don't bother to do the full range of motion exercise. Also one does not have to be muscle bound to lose dexterity and agility. I am not talking about just flexibility, but also the capability of the muscles to coordinate precision movements could be negatively effected by adding to much mass too fast. I have known ball players who lose the ability to hit jump shots after bulking up on weight training.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 04:59:54 pm by sabertooth »
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 08:44:22 pm »
I have known ball players who lose the ability to hit jump shots after bulking up on weight training.

I gained 5kg in a month and I didn't lose any of my shooting abilities, far from... I increased my range I now shot three pointers without a problem I had weak arms before that fuck that I now shot from the middle of the court lol...

how can you say that weight training performed correctly the way it atleast should be performed wont increase flexibility?
Dumbbell pullovers when performed for full range of movement and with the correct weight will increase shoulder flexibility..
Stiff Legged deadlift when performed correctly with smooth form will blast your hamstring flexibility, some people can touch the floor with their elbows after practicing stiff legged deadlift for few months..
and weighted back squats are a fucking miracle at least for me...
I couldn't sit in full squat bodyweight because I had very bad ankle flexibility..

the gym coach told me to not even try doing barbell back squats because I will fall back and I can get injured...
I didn't agree with his opinion I started back squatting with 40kg at first 2months ago or so... the weighted squats forced my ankle to dorsiflex like a mother fucker after the first week I increased my ankle flexibility by 40 percent(self estimated) now I squat with 70kg and getting stronger every workout.. soon i'll be squatting with 100kilograms without a problem with picture perfect form...
and I now can sit in deep asian squat for few minutes...

HIT_IT_RAW knows his shit don't mess with this dude   ;)

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 10:33:13 pm »
I'm starting to think that too.

I've increased my over head press reps. I was doing them last year and couldn't get them above a measly 50kg. I've dropped the weight right down, increased reps and see how I go.

“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2011, 07:57:35 am »
    Ricky, you're a physical therapist?
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline Domitilla

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2011, 09:17:04 pm »
Hello friends....!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk