Author Topic: oxtail  (Read 3506 times)

Offline nicole

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
oxtail
« on: July 01, 2011, 03:14:08 am »
what is oxtail like? Is is similar to bone marrow? i'm asking because a new butcher says he can get it for me.
Give it to us raw, and wriggling. You keep nasty chips.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
Re: oxtail
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 05:59:34 am »
It's more similar to pig's feet, except meatier. It's kind of like beef shanks (shins) or extra-fatty and bony beef chops.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline nicole

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 07:41:51 am »
so it's a fatty meat then?
Give it to us raw, and wriggling. You keep nasty chips.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 09:55:01 am »
Nah, more like meaty fat and bone. LOL
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 01:24:24 am »
I just tried some oxtail. It's okay/good if you really like to gnaw. The fat is greasy - neither flaky nor grisly. The meat is fatty in a good way, but not much of it. The bone structure is hard to eat around. I wouldn't go out of my way to get more - I'd leave it for the coyotes.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 02:34:59 am »
Yup, that's why it's typically used in stews and soups, to make it easier to eat, but that's not kosher here, of course.

Tyler, have you ever tried to eat oxtail raw?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 04:21:01 am »
Yup, that's why it's typically used in stews and soups, to make it easier to eat, but that's not kosher here, of course.

Tyler, have you ever tried to eat oxtail raw?
I don't think I've ever had it raw or cooked.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk