Author Topic: Do cats like raw beef marrow?  (Read 4141 times)

Offline nicole

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
Do cats like raw beef marrow?
« on: September 22, 2012, 10:10:09 am »
Do any of you have a cat that will eat raw beef marrow and likes it? Do you feed it raw fish?
Thanks,
Nicole
Give it to us raw, and wriggling. You keep nasty chips.

Offline intrigued

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Do cats like raw beef marrow?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 08:14:51 pm »
Yes and yes.  If you're looking for anything more specific, let me know.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 08:36:30 pm »
I read somewhere that cats should not be fed on raw or cooked seafood, at least not mainly or wholly raw or cooked seafood.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline intrigued

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 08:42:19 pm »
I haven't heard that, but I certainly don't feed my cat mainly seafood, it's a once in a while thing.  They mostly get chicken/beef/pork.

CitrusHigh

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 09:54:41 pm »
Ty, what you read, was it probably in regards to mercury, and or small bones from fish, and or pointy bits from shells and limbs of shellfish/crustaceans?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 10:17:31 pm »
Ty, what you read, was it probably in regards to mercury, and or small bones from fish, and or pointy bits from shells and limbs of shellfish/crustaceans?
None of the above, mercury etc. is all a hoax. This is what I read:-

http://www.beyondveg.com/tu-j-l/raw-cooked/raw-cooked-1h.shtml

"Raw fish blocks thiamine absorption in cats. As an aside, it is known that raw fish contains an enzyme, thiaminase, which blocks thiamine absorption in cats. Thiamine deficiencies may occur if cats are fed raw fish in excess, so we find here a benefit in destroying enzymes by cooking if cats are fed this food. (This point is an issue primarily of academic interest, of course, since fish were an insignificant part of the natural diet of the wild African ancestors of today's domestic housecats.)"

This may be b*ll, though, as I have heard anecdotal accounts of a cat on a  years-long round the world trip who lived off raw fish, primarily, without issues.

The other argument re pottenger is bogus since it suggests that cooked/processed cat-food supplements are fine as long as synthetic amounts of taurine are added.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

CitrusHigh

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 10:40:21 pm »
I understand your views on Mercury, I was only speculating as to why someone would recommend cats not eat any seafood at all based on the first results from a quick search.

The best thing to do would be to look for reports of cats living on all seafood diets and see how they fare.

This is not that report, but it's something...

http://www.rawlearning.com/fish.html

« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 11:05:07 pm by Thoth »

Offline nicole

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 06:49:16 am »
Thanks for the information...I may be getting  a kitten soon and want to plan for her diet to be of good quality but of course not too expensive. I already feed my dog all of my meat scraps. I remember when my father had the uncooked fish out on the table preparing to cook it, our cat sebastian would jump up there and try to eat it...so it seems like it would be pretty natural. I think I will get poultry too.
Give it to us raw, and wriggling. You keep nasty chips.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk