Author Topic: New to RAF diet  (Read 3409 times)

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
New to RAF diet
« on: February 19, 2011, 09:07:56 pm »
Hello everyone!

I decided to adopt a cooked Paleo diet plus a little dairy (Neolithic, I know) just over a month ago.  That didn't go over so well with my family and some friends who were worried I would not get enough fiber, though I was able to convince them I was getting way more vitamins by substituting fresh fruit and veggies for grains and starches.  All of my meat has come from a whole grass fed lamb that I purchased direct from the farmer. 

Four or five days ago I decided to switch to all raw, because my stomach would be throbbing/pulsating after eating a cooked meat meal (even if it was all meat, no fruit or veggies).  I have no problems digesting raw fruits or veggies.  Since switching my meat to raw meat I have vastly improved digestion.

Just from the switch to cooked paleo: my bowel movements are easier and less messy/require no cleanup (sorry for the added detail but it's relevant), I had a twitch in my eye that went away, I had an inflamed and sore rectal area that has totally gone back to normal.  I sleep more soundly (even though I have yet to cut out caffeinated teas), my mood is significantly elevated and I have more energy, my mind seems sharper, and I have lost all cravings for alcohol (I was drinking about 2-3 beers a day on average).  I had a hypoglycemic episode (I think I was pre-diabetic from my SAD) on the second or third night and ran to the kitchen and had to scarf down an apple and a grapefruit, but have had no other issues with the switch since then, even on days when my carbohydrate intake was near zero.

Most of the above improvements are a result of ditching grains, starchy vegetables and legumes.  I have not changed the amount of exercise I get (I have walked about 5 miles a day for the last year).    The exception is the digestion problem, which might have just been due to my body not being used to grass fed meat.  In any case, I am hoping to see more improvements in mood, energy, etc.

Mt reasons for switching to paleo, then raw paleo have to do with health, so I am not really interested in reenactment, in duplicating hunter-scavenger-gatherer behavior exactly.

I eat with my instincts by eating lots of raw fruits (botanical fruits, which of course include avocado, tomato, pepper, squash) and berries.  But I get my dose of raw meat also.  For instance, I really wanted fruit this morning so I ate a banana, an apple, some lime, a few dates and a small handful of walnuts.  For lunch I am going to eat some raw lamb I cut off the bone (I cut up over a pound) until I am full.

My instincts have steered me away from leafy greens and tubers and starchy vegetables.  They just aren't appealing.

I plan on buying some sushi grade raw fish soon as I am trying to conserve the last of my lamb.  I think I am going to buy a quarter of grass fed beef soon as well.

I haven't had any negative physical or psychological reactions to raw meat or raw eggs (I lied, I find raw eggs unappealing and probably won't buy any more, but I will eat them if I'm in a pinch).  I started with ground lamb the first day but have moved on to eating it off the bone or cutting it off and eating it.  It has less flavor but so does almost everything eaten raw.  It has all the nature flavor intended it to have.

I look forward to learning about the experiences of others here!

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: New to RAF diet
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 10:14:51 pm »
Welcome !!  ;)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 10:26:53 pm »
Welcome to the forum!
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline CHK91

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 02:12:55 am »
WAZZUP!?  ;D
All I want is the truth... Just gimme some truth.
"I wanna be the minority."

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 04:27:36 am »
Very cool intro. Welcome! Even more benefits will come.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 05:13:29 am by TylerDurden »
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 08:02:36 am »
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome!   :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk