Author Topic: Hello from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan!  (Read 3171 times)

Offline Huntsforfood

• Forager
    • View Profile
Hello from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan!
« on: February 18, 2010, 03:04:53 am »
Hi all.  Just recently started exploring the raw diet and found this site.  Been eating mostly organic for the last year and have eliminated all the processed crap.  A few days ago I had my first eggs raw.  Not that bad so I've been having 2 a day now.  I get my eggs from a neighbor who has healthy free range chickens.  Also drink fresh raw goats milk, don't think I could ever go back to store milk.

For meats I eat a lot of venison I kill myself.  This is great meat although I've yet to eat any raw.  I would be willing to bet that by the end of the week I will though.  It's all kept in my freezer so I need to know it's safe to eat.  I would assume it's much better than anything that can be bought as I take great care in the processing of my deer.  It's just that sometimes you get a little freezer burn which I usually just trim off.  I'm tempted to take some out right now and gnaw on it tonight.   

Well anyways hope to learn much here. Blessings to all!

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Hello from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 03:06:57 am »
Welcome to the forum!
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 03:19:23 am »
Welcome.
Wild venison is fine to eat raw; I do all the time. I've had friends give me roasts from the back of their freezers which are months old with a bunch of freezer burn and I've never had issues with that either. Make sure you keep getting enough fat as venison is so lean. The egg yolks and raw dairy should cover you but you could try some other raw fats as well if you want. :)
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 03:22:02 am »
Minor issue:- While some people do appear to thrive on raw dairy, I do think that it's a bad idea for anyone to rely mainly on raw dairy as a source of raw fat. As a food within a varied diet, that's fine, but I find that very few people thrive if they depend on raw dairy as a large proportion of their diet.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Huntsforfood

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 02:35:15 am »
Minor issue:- While some people do appear to thrive on raw dairy, I do think that it's a bad idea for anyone to rely mainly on raw dairy as a source of raw fat. As a food within a varied diet, that's fine, but I find that very few people thrive if they depend on raw dairy as a large proportion of their diet.

I don't eat much dairy at all.  The only thing really is raw goats milk, one glass a day.  I eat a tablespoon of virgin coconut oil each day as well as raw eggs, plus salmon and other healthy fats.  I think I have a good balance of quality protein and fats in addition to my fruits and veggies.

Thanks for the welcomes and tips. 

Offline Sitting Coyote

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 10:19:19 am »
Welcome to the forum.  I also hunt deer and also eat it raw.  Did you save the fat from your deer?  If so, you can eat that raw and you won't have to worry about how lean the muscle meat is.  I've found that deer fat is quite mild in flavor, although admittedly a little stronger than cow fat.  

When I first started eating deer raw, I found drizzling a little balsamic vinaigrette dressing made it more palatable.  Now I just chop it in bite sized chunks and can eat it without any adulteration at all.

I hope you stick with the raw diet.  I've enjoyed a lot of benefits from it, not the least of which is much reduced meal prep time, which creates time for other things like learning to make bows and arrows, and brain tan deer, moose and elk hides.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk