Author Topic: Craig Goes Omnivore...  (Read 19675 times)

xylothrill

Craig Goes Omnivore...
« on: August 05, 2008, 10:57:23 am »
Wild, cork bark passion flower are ripe and all over the place. I've been eating some lately. I'm going to try other wild fruits such as sea grapes, coco plums, sow thistle, purslane, wild grapes, and mulberries. I'll try to get some pictures of them up when I get a chance.

The wild passion flowers (or is it passion fruit?) haven't much flavor nor are they very sweet. If my suspicions are correct, the low amounts of fructose will not have an effect on my BG and I won't experience BG crashes and excessive hunger like I did eating high-sugar fruit, such as bananas and mangoes. I'll eat them separately from my RAF meals.

When I can't find them wild, I'll buy blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, etc.

Wish me luck!

Craig

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Craig Goes Omnivore...
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 11:00:15 am »
wow!! big change! I'm down to one or two pieces of fruit a day, depending on whether I go to the gym or not. A lot less than I used to eat, but I'm not missing them terribly.

Best of luck to you, friend!

xylothrill

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 11:13:17 am »
Thanks,

If I start getting ravenously hungry, I'll have to stop. That's how I fell off the wagon last time but then I was eating the wrong kinds of fruit ie modern sweet fruits.

Craig

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 08:35:53 pm »
I just bought Aajonus' book, he does have some interesting personal observations on mixing fruit with meat.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Satya

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 02:30:36 am »
Good luck, Craig!  Question: Why did you decide to add plant parts back in your eating plan?  BTW, I love purslane, and have a small bit of it growing in the garden.  Come over and eat some with me.

I have cut back on plants for the last 8 months, but I don't think I could ever cut them out completely.  I would get bored at the very least.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 02:35:32 am »
When I have no organic fruits from the store. I go out early in the day and pick some fruit..Then later I eat it after my meat during my meal. My main fruits I have been picking now are...Small sour cherries and mulberries (black and white). Later in the year I'll be gathering some apples, pears, peaches, plums, grapes and black walnuts. i occasionally gather some raspberries (red and black). And goose berries or could they be currants...I think they are related...

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 02:37:48 am »
there's also a local organic farmer who grows vegetables near me. I only get the carrots and squash. However my mom will buy potatoes and other junk.

xylothrill

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 03:32:12 am »
Good luck, Craig!  Question: Why did you decide to add plant parts back in your eating plan?  BTW, I love purslane, and have a small bit of it growing in the garden.  Come over and eat some with me.

I have cut back on plants for the last 8 months, but I don't think I could ever cut them out completely.  I would get bored at the very least.

I jumped from a high carb non-paleo diet to carnivorism and it worked. Now, I want to see if eating only paleo foods, including paleo plant foods would work for me. Even living in Florida though, it'd be hard to get the seasonal stuff beyond summer and fall. Veggies, yes but berries and wild fruit, no.

I really like being in fat burning mode and am hoping that the small amounts of paleo plant foods that would have been available to our ancestors won't knock me out of ketosis so long as I'm active.

I like purslane too. It has a lemony flavor to it and the texture reminds me of okra.

Satya

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 06:12:17 am »
I jumped from a high carb non-paleo diet to carnivorism and it worked. Now, I want to see if eating only paleo foods, including paleo plant foods would work for me. Even living in Florida though, it'd be hard to get the seasonal stuff beyond summer and fall. Veggies, yes but berries and wild fruit, no.

Really, I didn't hear this story.  More details, please.  When did you go carnivore?  Was it raw from the get go?  Etc?

Yes, yes, animal foods are by far the important basis, but what about seaweeds dried?  I am thinking seafood is muey importante for minerals as the oceans are 75% of the earth's surface, and our soil ends up in them.  Weston Price found this traveling to native villages all over: not just shell/fish, but seaweed too was really vital for natives to obtain.  It is loaded with calcium, magnesium, iodine and other things we need (why is iodine called a mineral when it is not a metal?).  Did you know that iodine deficiency is the #1 cause of mental retardation on the planet?  Many many soils are lacking (I am looking for a map of iodine deficient or of iodine deficiency cases).  And many think the recommended levels are super low.

I really like being in fat burning mode and am hoping that the small amounts of paleo plant foods that would have been available to our ancestors won't knock me out of ketosis so long as I'm active.

Oh, in my experience, it is the starches that do you in.  And I never eat bananas, and rarely mangoes (like none this year).  But give me cherries and I am all over them.  The season is short and the activity level high in summer.  It is a natural thing to eat fruit in season.  Just be selective and don't go too sweet, especially at first.

I like purslane too. It has a lemony flavor to it and the texture reminds me of okra.

Okra?  Hmm, maybe it is a different variety.  Let's compare.

xylothrill

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 09:40:03 am »
Wow! I've never seen lips like that before!

Anyway, I started out as a raw vegan. Couldn't eat enough. Wanted to lose weight but was afraid of becoming emaciated so I made sure I had bags of fruit when I wasn't able to consume green smoothies at home. I'd frequently run out food and get enormous cravings that I couldn't deny. I'd fall off the horse and get back on until one Jeff Wissler convinced me on a vegan forum that we needed raw animal foods.It made sense to me so I tried raw eggs and raw cheese. It about knocked me out!
Then, I started searching for raw animal foods and thankfully came across the rawpaleodiet yahoo group. That was like culture shock at first! I read the posts there and found that many had come from raw veganism.

I was really interested in the Inuit diet and Stefansson. Tyler was very knowledgeable and I really liked the links he'd post. Then, I started seeing posts from Lex. I asked him a lot of questions and he answered. I hadn't heard of zero-carb before but the idea of an all meat diet fascinated me. He gave me his recipe, which I misinterpreted, and told me about Slanker's. I ordered, and I started eating. I was trying to get down 2 1/2 pounds a day! That's where the misinterpretation came in! I don't remember the exact amounts but I was eating what he prepared for two or three days! I was almost literally shitting bricks! My stools were very large and hard. I just had to bear it. When through, I'd half-expect to see a newborn in the toilet as it felt like I'd given anal birth to a turd.

Then, I stopped eating so much and went through keto-adaptation. That was pretty bad. I had no energy and no strength but I was able to adapt. After a while, I started getting the heart palpitations, constant thirst and the feeling of being hot all the time. I remembered feeling light and cool on the raw vegan diet so I decided to make one meal a green smoothie ( 9-11 bananas...however many I could fit in it) and the second meal RAF. I did feel better but then, the hunger and cravings came again - BIG TIME. I fell off! Instead of being able to say no to a burger or pizza, I had to have it! The vicious cycle had started all over again!

When I came back in the fall of last year, I'd concluded that sodium was the culprit in my inability to maintain an all-meat diet. Per my own experience, this was true. as the temperature got warmer and the more I'd sweat, the more I could taste the salt in my meat. I started supplementing sea salt. THEN I found out that Lex had been adding salt all along! Not his fault at all. After all, I didn't think that clay was very important and I failed to mention that to him.

So, that's the whole story.

Iodine and Iron are elements, aren't they?

I won't go to heavy on the fruits. How much would Paleo person gather and share? A cup or two?

Mabe it's cooked okra I'm thinking of. Purslane has a sliminess to it similar to the okra that I know.

100% agreement about starches! Modern fruits can be just as bad.

Craig

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 10:01:55 am »
Wow what a story!
haha it was really interesting reading that story, especially when you were telling about seeing the posts of people that now post here!
I dunno, I thought that was really cool.
What a great forum this is!  :D

I find it interesting that you had such a hard time with 2 1/2 pounds of meat... I eat three pounds everyday, sometimes more, and I never have problems like you described. Although I do get cravings sometimes... used to be for pizza and ice cream, those were my two weaknesses. Now I don't ever really get the pizza cravings anymore, but I always want ice cream!

And Craig, you did start this forum correct? Or am I completely mistaken for thinking that?

xylothrill

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 11:02:08 am »
Wow what a story!
haha it was really interesting reading that story, especially when you were telling about seeing the posts of people that now post here!
I dunno, I thought that was really cool.
What a great forum this is!  :D

I find it interesting that you had such a hard time with 2 1/2 pounds of meat... I eat three pounds everyday, sometimes more, and I never have problems like you described. Although I do get cravings sometimes... used to be for pizza and ice cream, those were my two weaknesses. Now I don't ever really get the pizza cravings anymore, but I always want ice cream!

And Craig, you did start this forum correct? Or am I completely mistaken for thinking that?

Keith,

It drove me crazy whenever I'd find out that skinny people were eating more than twice as much as I was! I'm pretty sure now that it's because I was eating 80% or more fat by calories. Lex's experiment has confirmed for me that a little more fat equals a lot less hunger.

As for this forum, it was the original idea of another member. I volunteered to donate the hosting expense (which is next to nothing) as I am curious about the administration side, behind the scenes. As it turns out, I'm loving it and learning a lot! Tyler mentioned getting a forum like this started a while ago and I agreed but we all decided to put it off. Then, we decided to give it a go with a free forum. We didn't like the copyrights, ads all over the place, nor the fact that it could be taken away at any time so we agreed to get it hosted on our own.

I don't consider it "my" forum but ours, the community's.

How did you find us by the way?

Craig
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 07:13:54 pm by Craig »

Offline Nicola

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 09:12:29 pm »
How can you 2,5 lb of beef cause that much waste - Charles mentioned that raw meat caused him loose stools. Many eat more than that and say all is normal - and why should cooked meat "work" better?

Why should salt be "the answer" - "salt", "raw vs. cooked meat & fat" and "amount of food" does vary like the weather...

Nicola

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 11:36:05 pm »

How did you find us by the way?

Craig

Ah, well I will do my best to answer that question. Sorry, it might get a little long!

Let's see, I would always be searching the internet for natural things to help my mood... someone had hurt me a great deal, and I just couldn't get over it or stop it from running through my mind over and over again. So I would try all sorts of herbal supplements and whatnot. Somehow I stumbled upon a website about the paleo diet, and read it and it made sense... about grains being bad and everything.
Well, I still ate pizza a good deal and still ate my sprouted breads and cereals. This was I think around last March or so.

Then, on the nutrition section of a bodybuilding forum I go to, I came across a thread by a guy who eats 100% raw, including meat. He was very muscular and looked very healthy, and I couldn't help but be interested in what he was saying... raw meat? Really? That can't be healthy... can it?

So I did some more google searching, and came across the Wai diet. The information on this website convinced me that cooking food is not good and that raw can be safe and healthy. I stopped eating my sprouted breads and cereal, and started eating raw eggs and a little bit later, raw fresh fish. I was also eating LARGE amounts of fruit, as I had joined a raw vegan forum (I wasn't a vegan obviously, but it was the only large raw forum that I had found). Everyone on this forum was convinced that green smoothies were the key to life and that the best ratio of nutrients was 80/10/10  C/P/F.
So I ate lots of fruit and veggies, green smoothies, nuts and seeds, and a few eggs everyday, and some fish here and there.
 I would have been eating meat, but I certainly wasn't going to buy any grocery meat, especially not to eat raw.
Eating this way, I felt a bit better healthwise, but not great by any means. And I was getting really skinny, which I wasn't too happy about. And I had awful gas  :-\ (not as bad as when I would eat large amounts of oats in my pre-raw days though!)

Now I don't remember exactly how I came across this forum... I think I was just searching and came across the yahoo group and found a link to the raw paleo website. I didn't join it until I found some grass-fed beef at a nearby grocery store and ate it raw. It was then that I felt "qualified" to join!

Anyway, I feel sooo much healthier since starting to eat this way:
-improved sleep
-improved energy
-improved mood (more control over my thoughts as well)
-improved allergies
-no more ringing in my ears
-no more gas (ever!)
-less muscle aches (back pain was a problem)
-better skin

I wish I could say improved eyesight was a benefit, but sadly none yet... I'd LOVE to not have to wear glasses anymore.

anyway, that was my little narrative/testimonial  :)

xylothrill

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2008, 02:56:36 am »
Awesome Keith! You really should think about making an official testimonial! 
Here's to all things that improved! I'm sure the eyesight will come - even if only a few diopters. Are you nearsighted?

Craig

Satya

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2008, 02:58:36 am »
Wow! I've never seen lips like that before!

If you have seen my face, then you have seen these lips.  That is a print of some Aveda brand Shizandra lipstick that I smacked on a paper.  Am I artsy or what? 

You know, you sometimes comment on my avatar du jour; but when it changes, as it regularly does, what must new members think you are talking about? :P

Anyway, I started out as a raw vegan. Couldn't eat enough. Wanted to lose weight but was afraid of becoming emaciated so I made sure I had bags of fruit when I wasn't able to consume green smoothies at home. I'd frequently run out food and get enormous cravings that I couldn't deny. I'd fall off the horse and get back on until one Jeff Wissler convinced me on a vegan forum that we needed raw animal foods.It made sense to me so I tried raw eggs and raw cheese. It about knocked me out!
Then, I started searching for raw animal foods and thankfully came across the rawpaleodiet yahoo group. That was like culture shock at first! I read the posts there and found that many had come from raw veganism.

I was really interested in the Inuit diet and Stefansson. Tyler was very knowledgeable and I really liked the links he'd post. Then, I started seeing posts from Lex. I asked him a lot of questions and he answered. I hadn't heard of zero-carb before but the idea of an all meat diet fascinated me. He gave me his recipe, which I misinterpreted, and told me about Slanker's. I ordered, and I started eating. I was trying to get down 2 1/2 pounds a day! That's where the misinterpretation came in! I don't remember the exact amounts but I was eating what he prepared for two or three days! I was almost literally shitting bricks! My stools were very large and hard. I just had to bear it. When through, I'd half-expect to see a newborn in the toilet as it felt like I'd given anal birth to a turd.

Then, I stopped eating so much and went through keto-adaptation. That was pretty bad. I had no energy and no strength but I was able to adapt. After a while, I started getting the heart palpitations, constant thirst and the feeling of being hot all the time. I remembered feeling light and cool on the raw vegan diet so I decided to make one meal a green smoothie ( 9-11 bananas...however many I could fit in it) and the second meal RAF. I did feel better but then, the hunger and cravings came again - BIG TIME. I fell off! Instead of being able to say no to a burger or pizza, I had to have it! The vicious cycle had started all over again!

When I came back in the fall of last year, I'd concluded that sodium was the culprit in my inability to maintain an all-meat diet. Per my own experience, this was true. as the temperature got warmer and the more I'd sweat, the more I could taste the salt in my meat. I started supplementing sea salt. THEN I found out that Lex had been adding salt all along! Not his fault at all. After all, I didn't think that clay was very important and I failed to mention that to him.

So, that's the whole story.

Iodine and Iron are elements, aren't they?

I won't go to heavy on the fruits. How much would Paleo person gather and share? A cup or two?

Mabe it's cooked okra I'm thinking of. Purslane has a sliminess to it similar to the okra that I know.

100% agreement about starches! Modern fruits can be just as bad.

Hey, maybe you will want to edit your testimonial on rawpaleo.com to include this more extensive info on what you were doing before raw paleo and how your transition progressed.

Dietary mineral is not the most descriptive term.  We need both diatomic iodine and iodide salts, the latter being a true mineral.

xylothrill

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2008, 03:01:28 am »
How can you 2,5 lb of beef cause that much waste - Charles mentioned that raw meat caused him loose stools. Many eat more than that and say all is normal - and why should cooked meat "work" better?

Why should salt be "the answer" - "salt", "raw vs. cooked meat & fat" and "amount of food" does vary like the weather...

Nicola

I hope you don't mean that you're going to start eating cooked meat.

Craig

xylothrill

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2008, 04:18:47 pm »
I've split and moved the topic. Anyone looking for the eyesight improvement discussion can find it here:
http://www.rawpaleoforum.com/general-discussion/natural-eyesight-improvement/

xylothrill

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2008, 04:23:25 pm »
If you have seen my face, then you have seen these lips.  That is a print of some Aveda brand Shizandra lipstick that I smacked on a paper.  Am I artsy or what? 

You're artsy fartsy!

You know, you sometimes comment on my avatar du jour; but when it changes, as it regularly does, what must new members think you are talking about? :P

I've thought about that and now that you have your face up there, what are they going to think when they see me talking about your strange monkey face?

Hey, maybe you will want to edit your testimonial on rawpaleo.com to include this more extensive info on what you were doing before raw paleo and how your transition progressed.

Sure!

Satya

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2008, 06:43:22 am »
When I have no organic fruits from the store. I go out early in the day and pick some fruit..Then later I eat it after my meat during my meal. My main fruits I have been picking now are...Small sour cherries and mulberries (black and white). Later in the year I'll be gathering some apples, pears, peaches, plums, grapes and black walnuts. i occasionally gather some raspberries (red and black). And goose berries or could they be currants...I think they are related...

Hey Sully, apricots and blackberries are in May, then plums in June, then peaches in July, here in Texas.  Pecans come in October if memory serves.  BTW, I like your definition of fruit, and it is the one I use.  So it is not necessarily some sweet thing.

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2008, 09:38:29 am »
Awesome Keith! You really should think about making an official testimonial! 
Here's to all things that improved! I'm sure the eyesight will come - even if only a few diopters. Are you nearsighted?

Craig

Like to go on the website? That would be way cool!  :)

xylothrill

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2008, 10:50:09 am »
Like to go on the website? That would be way cool!  :)

Yeah, like that!

xylothrill

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2008, 11:13:16 am »
Today I got some pictures of some of the plants I've been eating.

This is the cork bark passion flower, or passion fruit. It has very little taste at all and is not very sweet either. They grow on vines and have tiny unnoticeable seeds.

Below are coco plums. They have a large nut, are a little sweet but still have enough flesh on them to make it worth while.

These are unripe seagrapes. The ripe ones turn purple. They have a large nut but much less flesh than the coco plums although they are pretty sweet.

These below are a type of persimmon. These are actually larger than usual. If you pick one right off the tree, it will be very bitter. The ones one the ground are the only ones that are sweet. They have quite a bit of hard seed in them.

I can't find much info on this at the moment but I learned it as being called a coffee plant. The fruit is tasteless and not sweet. They are small and have a small nut inside.

This little guy is an exotic iguana from Mexico. They are over-running our neighborhoods and wreaking havoc on our native wildlife. I was salivating at the sight of this catch but the little bugger was very good at playing dead. I was so disappointed I almost cried. It was pretending to be dead, and when we let our guards down, it got up and ran away! The freaking thing had been speared with a fishing spear!

Offline akaikumo

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2008, 02:58:17 pm »
This little guy is an exotic iguana from Mexico. They are over-running our neighborhoods and wreaking havoc on our native wildlife. I was salivating at the sight of this catch but the little bugger was very good at playing dead. I was so disappointed I almost cried. It was pretending to be dead, and when we let our guards down, it got up and ran away! The freaking thing had been speared with a fishing spear!

That's one way to deal with non-native species  :D sucks that he got away.
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. - Anais Nin

Satya

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2008, 10:33:26 pm »
I've thought about that and now that you have your face up there, what are they going to think when they see me talking about your strange monkey face?

I dunno.  Maybe they'll think you are on drugs.  And asking me if I am wearing a corset?  Like, what gives you that idea?  You are definitely off your rocker.  Teach you to comment on my avatar!

Nice photos! 

And thanks for increasing the recent posts.  Is there anything you won't do for me?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk