Author Topic: how long is raw fish safe to eat  (Read 18207 times)

Offline Sorentus

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: how long is raw fish safe to eat
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2014, 10:25:53 am »
I still like it when it gets old, after about a week or more. I got into "high meat" when I started raw paleo in 2010 and enjoyed it and did feel "high" from it, so older fish is still OK to me, and who cares except I have a friend who's super sensitive to smells and one day I had just eaten some old fish before I arrived at her house and she was all..."what is that smell?" LOL I seriously didn't think that it smelled that bad.

I get fish that's pretty fresh and have some from Saturday and now it's Thurs and it's still so fresh—I should keep some to test how long it takes to get smelly.

Ya I recall when i was eating high meat and planned to make it my staple, it was a feast at the time and i wouldn't think it smelled bad at all. I was forced to eat it outside in the cold freaking winter because of the smell. I never felt it smelled much but my parents freaked out so many times and kept getting pissed and acting like i was a wild animal. Funs times, i guess. I still very enjoy raw meat but i dont plan to eat high meat ever again, it tasted MUCH better when i was eating it on a daily basis. I would eat 2 week old thawed frozen meat and even with the fat and it was a feast, now i cant even enjoy a 3 day old one, but a fresh thawed still taste like the best thing ever to me.

Offline FRANCIS HOWARD BOND

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: how long is raw fish safe to eat
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2014, 03:16:21 am »
REPLY:

So pleased you also like ‘old fish’, which always has a lovely smell!   Going into Church I am usually offered a strong mint after enjoying fish for my breakfast! LOL    Whole house smells of fish, and I like it that way!

After a week fish smells and tastes better and a month in refrigerator it begins to be good.   Speed the process by cutting fresh fish into bite size pieces, put in a jar at room temperature, and air daily outdoors.   Helps to get it going and you keep it indefinitely at this higher temperature with airing.   A further tip is to leave previously rotted fish in the jar to start process with the new fish.   It ‘encourages’ it into a better condition

Am sure you will love your week old fish and probably soon find you prefer old fish to fresh like I do!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk