Author Topic: Dry skin, cold shower therapy...  (Read 27511 times)

Offline Raw Rob

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
Dry skin, cold shower therapy...
« on: April 11, 2009, 11:30:10 pm »
I've had dry skin my whole life. I also had very bad Keritosis Pilaris, which has improved significantly since going low/zero carb. I still had very itchy dry skin though, which I figured had to be Candida. I've always had to put lotion or oil on after getting out of the shower, and thought to myself, "I shouldn't have to be doing this." Now I think I've figured it out. I've always taken very hot showers and I think that's been washing away my naturally protective oils. I've recently been reading about people who started taking cold showers and how they've dramatically helped their skin and hair. I took my first one yesterday and it was invigorating. My hair felt so clean and I didn't use any shampoo or VCO. My skin was still dry, but tolerable. I think I'm going to stick with this, and take a cold shower every day with absolutely no hot water. I'm hoping it will get rid of the last traces of Keritosis Pilaris as well. I will keep you all posted on my progress. Anybody else here take cold showers? 

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Dry skin, cold shower therapy...
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 12:02:35 am »
I used to do a thing where I'd put the water on cold at the end of a shower and my heart would start racing at the drastic change in temperatures. Interestingly I don't have dry skin except on my head where sometimes I have dandruff or even on my face where my facial hair grows in might flake off dry skin if I rub it really hard. But generally the rest of my body doesn't.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 12:16:08 am »
I've never had an issue with dry skin. However, I have noticed that a cold shower does boost my energy-levels, whereas hot baths/showers make me sleepy.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Raw Rob

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 01:17:38 am »
I have thought maybe that I'm genetically predisposed to it because I'm of Irish descent. I've heard or read that the air is very moist in Ireland. (Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, as I have never been there.) It seems that other Irish people have dry skin on our side of the pond.

Also, it just makes sense in general, because none of our ancestors would have gone in hot water. (Unless they found some hot springs, which are few and far between.)

Offline Roselene

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
    • I like We Want 2 Live.
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 04:32:40 am »
Good point.  I have very fair skin and it wasn't dry for the first time when I was using only unheated water.  I need to go back to that.

I have thought maybe that I'm genetically predisposed to it because I'm of Irish descent. I've heard or read that the air is very moist in Ireland. (Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, as I have never been there.) It seems that other Irish people have dry skin on our side of the pond.

Also, it just makes sense in general, because none of our ancestors would have gone in hot water. (Unless they found some hot springs, which are few and far between.)

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 05:08:25 am »
Have you considered filtering your shower water Rob?  I remove 99.9% of chlorine and other damaging chemicals by use of a shower filter and both myself and my partner have noticed significant improvements in our skin and hair since - to the degree that many people initially commented on it!  Like Kyle, I too have experimented with finishing my showers with an invigorating cold burst - paying particular attention to the adrenal area - but I'm not sure that I'm brave enough to have a completely cold shower!!   :o

However, I do also still suffer with dry skin on my hands, scalp and a little on my face.  I, too, have candida problems and have noticed an improvement since going zero/low-carb raw paleo.  I think getting sufficient good fats is also incredibly important (grass-fed marrow, suet, VCO etc) and have noticed further improvements since improving matters in this area.

An interesting point with regard to ancestry!  If it adds further to your theory - I am also of Irish decent!  My family surname is Fitzgerald and we originate from Southern Ireland.
1. When offered something that is too good to be true. It is.
2. Greed and fear are poor states of mind in which to make decisions; like shopping at the supermarket when you are hungry.
3. Exponential growth is mathematically unsustainable.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 06:14:50 am »
Im half irish, the rest mainly gypsy i think and i have a dutch last name.

I've had dry skin, keratosis and dandruff. These are all caused by candida.

I have cold showers and always feel great afterwoods. Hot showers strip my skin of oil and make me feel like crap and my definition of hot is nothing compared to the scalding showers most girls have.

Try warmed suet for face cream, superior to crappy plant stuff.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline Nicola

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 07:07:37 pm »
Im half irish, the rest mainly gypsy i think and i have a dutch last name.

I've had dry skin, keratosis and dandruff. These are all caused by candida.

I have cold showers and always feel great afterwoods. Hot showers strip my skin of oil and make me feel like crap and my definition of hot is nothing compared to the scalding showers most girls have.

Try warmed suet for face cream, superior to crappy plant stuff.

You are in Australia; spend some time in Ireland (or any other colder country) - you might like a warm shower / warm water...

I do that with the suet too; when I have finished eating I will use any left over suet (I have it in small vacuum bags) for my skin.

Nicola

Offline Roselene

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
    • I like We Want 2 Live.
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 08:34:58 pm »
I have to try suet for this now.  How warm?  About 103 Fahrenheit?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 08:45:58 pm »
An interesting point with regard to ancestry!  If it adds further to your theory - I am also of Irish decent!  My family surname is Fitzgerald and we originate from Southern Ireland.

Well, I'm more than half Irish and don't have a problem with dry skin(I did have a problem with very greasy hair/skin before doing this diet), so I doubt genetics is a factor. Besides, there've been so many different populations mixing in Ireland over the centuries(English/Norman Irish/Irish and Scottish Celts/Vikings) that the theory seems unlikely.

By the way, are you any relation to the poet Edward FitzGerald?

Re cold showers:- I hate showers and go for baths. I usually have a hot bath followed by a cold one.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Raw Rob

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 05:43:32 am »
Yes, I got a shower filter. It definitely helps a lot. Plus, I just don't trust Chicago water. I also distill and remineralize my drinking water.

My whole diet right now is pemmican, and grass-fed, high-fat ground beef. Also, some lamb liver once a week.

I'm definitely going to try the suet. What do you guys think of using tallow? I was thinking of buying some from U.S. Wellness Meats. (That's where I get my pemmican.) It seems like the tallow would be good for rubbing into your skin, but if you guys really recommend suet I'll try that. Heck, I'll try both.

p.s. Sorry, my quote thing wasn't working right, I think it's my browser. I'll try to figure that out.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 07:05:17 am »
You probably know this but tallow is heated and filtered suet. So from a raw paleo perspective, anything tallow can do suet can do better, except keep.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 02:15:50 pm »
Marrow is best as it melts in your hands.

Animal fat on the skin feels much better than say coconut oil or cocoa butter and was applied to the skin by American Indians, Africans and Australian aborigines. It helps protect the skin against harsh sunlight, wind and to ward off insects. Raw animal fat has almost no smell whereas tallow might leave you smelling a bit like roast beef.

Grass fed animal fat is also good for candida infected skin as omega 3's are the food of choice for good bacteria and fungi whereas omega 6's are the preferred fuel for the dandruff producing fungus Malassezzia Globosa.

Albert Camus

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 02:36:12 pm »
Another thing I just read mentioned that high insulin levels from eating carbs turns on Insulin Growth Factor 1 (IGF-1)  then testosterone to produce Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) which turns on the oil glands so more food for the fungus.

The fungus uses triglycerides for food and the fungus produces enzymes (lipases) to break down the triglycerides to oleic acid which is an omega 6. The oleic acid penetrates the skin and triggers skin cell production to increase.

hmm make sense?

Albert Camus

Offline ANDREAS

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2009, 06:06:22 am »
Another thing I just read mentioned that high insulin levels from eating carbs turns on Insulin Growth Factor 1 (IGF-1)  then testosterone to produce Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) which turns on the oil glands so more food for the fungus.

The fungus uses triglycerides for food and the fungus produces enzymes (lipases) to break down the triglycerides to oleic acid which is an omega 6. The oleic acid penetrates the skin and triggers skin cell production to increase.

hmm make sense?

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2009, 06:46:02 am »

hmm make sense?

Hmm...I say hmm. I think you just gave me hope for a dandruff cure. I don't have it horrible, but I'd like it to be completely gone. I just cut my hair relatively short (not as short as yours) and am thinking of grabbing some suet or marrow, warming it up real well in my hands, and rubbing it into my scalp some day and leaving it there for a few hours.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2009, 06:08:22 pm »
Zero carb got rid of mine. 15 years of dandruff, RP wasnt enough.

Pets put on all meat diets also heal their dandruff.

Albert Camus

Offline kravmagamen

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2009, 05:48:36 pm »
I have a dry skin also. At the moment i take more olive oil (4 spoons a day). My dry skin is better.

Offline dizzybee6

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2009, 03:22:10 am »
yes,  but cleaning some of the oil off your skin wil be helpful if you shower daily try every 3 or 4th day using hot water you have to wash the free-radicals and toxins off your skin and they do get caught in your body's natural oils. i have never shampoed every time i shower the oils in your scalp protect your head. Also try eating avocado more frequently the natural oils of it are extremely good for your skin and stay in your body longer then animal fats as they are used up faster (they disapear) at a higher temperature so maybe that will help. I have spent a long time in the skincare industry and still use the same products (i think we have diferent things causing us to age, dry out and wrinkle prematurely now days that were not always considerations to living life times ago) But if you are strict about not using anything think about avocado.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2009, 07:34:16 am »
I have pale Irish skin that was also very dry and flaky in areas. Cooling down my showers only helped a very tiny bit. The dry skin didn't clear until I eliminated the last of the carbs from my diet.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline sherrylouz

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2009, 09:47:59 am »
 If you have dry skin, apply Vaseline on skin and massage for a few minutes before going to bed. You will see an amazing difference in the morning when you wake up.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2009, 09:54:55 am »
You mean lard.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2009, 08:02:05 am »
Zero carb got rid of mine. 15 years of dandruff, RP wasnt enough.
Pets put on all meat diets also heal their dandruff.
hmm make sense?
Marrow is best as it melts in your hands.
Animal fat on the skin feels much better than say coconut oil or cocoa butter and was applied to the skin by American Indians, Africans and Australian aborigines. It helps protect the skin against harsh sunlight, wind and to ward off insects. Raw animal fat has almost no smell whereas tallow might leave you smelling a bit like roast beef.
Grass fed animal fat is also good for candida infected skin as omega 3's are the food of choice for good bacteria and fungi whereas omega 6's are the preferred fuel for the dandruff producing fungus Malassezzia Globosa.

I must've missed these great replies Andrew!  Some great info there.  I'm having similarly postive experiences resolving life-long dandruff with being VLC/ZC these last 2-3mths.  It hasn't completely gone yet though so I will try your suggestions using suet/marrow.  Thanks.

By the way, are you any relation to the poet Edward FitzGerald?

Sorry Tyler.  I didn't see your post.  As far as I'm aware he's no relation but nobody in my family has made extensive strides in family genealogy. All I know is that the Fitzgerald's were apparently knights that came over with William the Conqueror.
2. Greed and fear are poor states of mind in which to make decisions; like shopping at the supermarket when you are hungry.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2009, 05:49:03 pm »
Sorry Tyler.  I didn't see your post.  As far as I'm aware he's no relation but nobody in my family has made extensive strides in family genealogy. All I know is that the Fitzgerald's were apparently knights that came over with William the Conqueror.

Hmm, I was told by my father that I was distantly related to the poet Edward Fitzgerald, among other historical figures.I forgot  one minor detail  that wasn't actually his original surname, he changed his surname from my family's name to his wife's name, which was Fitzgerald. Whatever the case, we both seem to be descended from Norman knights.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2009, 07:37:07 pm »
Hmm, I was told by my father that I was distantly related to the poet Edward Fitzgerald, among other historical figures.I forgot  one minor detail  that wasn't actually his original surname, he changed his surname from my family's name to his wife's name, which was Fitzgerald. Whatever the case, we both seem to be descended from Norman knights.

That's interesting.  I wonder if his wife sits among my family tree somewhere?!  Do you know any details about her?  Wouldn't that be incredible if we could both trace our family tree back to her?!  I find it bizarre that Edward would decide to change his name for that of his wife.  Do you know why he did that?  Have you ever made a visit to Ireland Tyler?  I went to stay with an Irish ex-girlfriend's mother 5 years or so ago who happened to live in the same region that the Fitzgerald's castle ruins stand.  Of course, I went to see the ruins but there was little left.  I don't know if there are other Fitzgerald castle's remaining elsewhere in Ireland.  I'd be interested in studying the family history a little more in-depth when I have the time.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk