Author Topic: Cynics discriminated against in life  (Read 3218 times)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Cynics discriminated against in life
« on: May 29, 2015, 06:57:55 am »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/11636844/Why-optimists-will-earn-nearly-2000-a-year-more-than-cynics.html

This is depressing news for cynics like me. I mean, we cynics are actually "realists" yet we get so badly treated..... Well, I suppose I could simply adopt an optimistic approach to life, live in a fantasy world etc.,  just in order to get ahead, but I  do not think it would work.....
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline RogueFarmer

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Cynics discriminated against in life
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 07:45:48 am »
I'm a cynical optimist. You should strive to find the positive things in life. I don't know how your brain can handle it. I had to stop learning about politics because it causes me to be depressed and yell. Focusing on negative things causes my consciousness to shut down and I go into a vegetative state.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 01:27:19 pm »
Who ever said being delusional was a bad thing... when given the choice(which we all have a choice) I would much rather be a delusional optimist, than the cynical realist.

Though perhaps a middle ground approach is more optimal for maintaining one's sanity and responsibility, while in this insane and chaotic reality of human life on planet earth.
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline RogueFarmer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 02:56:58 pm »
Yeah but you can you even become a raw meat eater without having some level of cynicism?

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 11:50:02 pm »
This is not a discrimination.

This study most likely focuses on office environment or similar where interoffice politics influence compensation.  Cynicism is not an advantage when you negotiate for monetary compensation.  Cynicism is not a selling point so I totally agree with the results of this study.

That's also the reason why shy people and women get pay less because they are weaker negotiators.  And it is the same reason why they pay more at car dealerships and anywhere else where negotiations are involved.

Offline JeuneKoq

• Chief
  • It's french for "Cockerel"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 03:10:24 pm »
"The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly either proven right or pleasantly surprised"
George Will

A person who believes that only pessimism or cynicism equals realism, lacks realism.

I wonder if optimism and pessimism are part of an unconscious mechanism of survival of the specie, like right-y and left-y brains. In a sense that they come up with different solutions to a same problem, or react differently, and that they can either prove to be right or wrong and hypothetically save 50% of the people in the most extreme situations.

Say a group of HGs are trapped in a forest fire. They're hiding in a hole. Either the pessimists or optimist believe that they should wait for the forest fire to stop and stay protected in their hole, while the others disagree and think that if they make the run for it, they will live. At the end of the day, the optimists or pessimists who stayed in the hole turned into roasted pork chops, and those who ran from the fire get to live another day.
If these people were all pessimists or optimists, they would've either all made it, or would've all burned to death.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 03:53:26 pm by JeuneKoq »

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 08:46:40 pm »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/11636844/Why-optimists-will-earn-nearly-2000-a-year-more-than-cynics.html

This is depressing news for cynics like me. I mean, we cynics are actually "realists" yet we get so badly treated..... Well, I suppose I could simply adopt an optimistic approach to life, live in a fantasy world etc.,  just in order to get ahead, but I  do not think it would work.....

It's a point of view.
Engineers are realists.
"Factor of Safety" is an engineering term.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk