Author Topic: what is your job/profession?  (Read 32929 times)

Offline subfarm

• Trapper
    • View Profile
Re: what is your job/profession?
« Reply #100 on: December 13, 2010, 08:30:22 pm »
I ended up in special ed for a while. They wrongly assumed that I was autistic, based on my temperament. Schools....blech.

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 13, 2010, 08:35:45 pm »
I ended up in special ed for a while. They wrongly assumed that I was autistic, based on my temperament. Schools....blech.

Most kids labeled "autistic" are just riding the sugar rollercoaster, are just shy, or both.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 13, 2010, 09:51:29 pm »
I'm an artist, I dare say I'm very creative. BUT I'm also very good at math and critical thinking science-y stuff- otherwise  I wouldn't be in school for Biochemistry/math. Growing up though, "they" had me convinced that since I was good at art and creative tasks, that I COULDN'T be good at math. "They" convinced me that one could be either rational or intuitive, NEVER both. So, when I do choose to breed, I'm homeschooling.
Interesting, that follows what the girls in that book I mentioned said. Lefties will tend to be creative/intuitive and if they develop the other side of their brain by use of their non-dominant hand for instance they will have mastered the both sides of the brain and thus have mastery of the whole brain. You may not see the logic, but you are fortunate. Most of us righties are not so fortunate.

Your teachers inadvertently gave you a gift although it certainly may not seemed like it at the time.

I too have no love of the teachers in school for my own reasons. I'll spare you the rant. ;) ;D
Cheers
Al

Offline subfarm

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 13, 2010, 10:52:28 pm »
raw-al- they totally makes sense. I suppose I can appreciate my teachers' ignorance. I paint/draw/sew/shoot alternating between right and left. I use right handed scissors and can openers just fine. I can write legibly with my right hand, I'm just much slower.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 13, 2010, 11:11:45 pm »
very interesting!
In that book I mentioned they suggest that anyone can learn to improve their lot by exercising their non-dominant side with a variety of modalities. They give a test that shows where you are in terms of your right/left abilities and then show how to bring both sides to equilibrium.

This book is one of the many that I have not finished but plan to.......... someday l)
I found it at
http://www.betterworldbooks.com/whole-brain-thinking-id-0345322045.aspx
Cheers
Al

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 14, 2010, 07:09:35 am »
My mother is left handed and was teaching me to read and write before kindergarten. The kindergarten teacher physically forced me to write with my right hand and told my mother that her teaching me was ruining her lessions. I soon adapted and became a right hander although some of my early development was under left handed influences. I am a halfling who has creative aspirations and am trapped in between the mental hemispheres within a nexus of all inclusive thinking. I swear I have always viewed things dualistically and this split perspective has been both a curse and a blessing.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 07:29:56 am by sabertooth »
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline subfarm

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 14, 2010, 07:20:49 am »
haha Sabertooth- I can agree somewhat. Sometimes I don't know what angle I want to approach a problem from. The inconsistency in my problem solving methodology is irritating sometimes, but I suppose it's nice to have a full arsenal.

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
  • "...embrace your fear..."
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
« Reply #107 on: December 22, 2010, 09:27:32 pm »
I love my job......From my duo's last live gig in 2010 (at the UUCL):

I love my cigar box guitar!
-
--
David M. McLean