Author Topic: Becoming raw...  (Read 3980 times)

Offline castsomelight

• Forager
    • View Profile
Becoming raw...
« on: October 08, 2008, 05:18:48 am »
Been eating a very low to no carb all animal diet for a while, and am looking to add the benefits of raw foods. I am trying to do this on a budget. I was thinking of ordering Beef suet and stew meat as the main part of the diet. What are some other cuts of beef or lamb that are good raw and not too expensive?

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Becoming raw...
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 08:16:53 am »
I do stew meat (or beef cubes as they are also called) with suet and it is very cheap. Organs are pretty cheap, you could just add a very little bit (hardly noticeable) to the mix or stew meat and suet.

As far as cheap cuts the stew meat is the cheapest, some of the roasts are almost as cheap pound for pound but aren't already cut up for you so you have to do that yourself.

If you're into fish I've noticed you can find some wild caught fish (tuna, salmon, swordfish etc) sometimes for under $8/lb.

I don't know anything about lamb except that it has an interesting and strange flavor, but I used to love gyros!

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 09:00:20 pm »
Been eating a very low to no carb all animal diet for a while, and am looking to add the benefits of raw foods. I am trying to do this on a budget. I was thinking of ordering Beef suet and stew meat as the main part of the diet. What are some other cuts of beef or lamb that are good raw and not too expensive?

Order from Slanker's online website(Texas). They insist on people buying in bulk(75$ minimum order), but, on the other hand, kilo for kilo, they're very cheap by 100% grassfed standards - Lex buys their petfood mix as he says it's human-grade. Generally speaking, the organs are the cheapest parts of the animal(tongue, marrow, suet), but otherwise go for brisket(?) and stewing-steak as they're a lot cheaper than fillet-steak/rump-steak.

Kyle's right re raw fish. If you're near the coast, you should be able to find some very cheap kinds of fish - I highly recommend sardines and similiar stuff. I also go in for more exotic cheap stuff such as raw mussels and live crabs, but you might not be interested in them as they take a bit of time to prepare/open.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline castsomelight

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 11:20:32 pm »
Thanks for the tips. I was planning on ordering from Slanker's. Tongue is a good idea, never had that raw. I will probably try marrow as well. I unfortunately live in the middle of the country, about as far from fresh seafood as you can get.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk