Author Topic: How to stop buying so many plant foods?  (Read 3914 times)

Satya

How to stop buying so many plant foods?
« on: March 12, 2009, 09:04:27 pm »
It may seem like a stupid question, but as I cut down on plant foods, I have to really watch the amount of produce I buy or it gets wasted (the chickens will eat most things at least).  It is just really hard for me to adjust to this new WOE when I shop, which is vlc right now.  I have other family members who eat some fruit or other plant foods, and I do too to some extent, but we all are approaching less and less plant matter over a long course of time.  I guess I will just have to continue to take baby steps.  I have a huge order of meat coming over the weekend, and that helps.  So does having various organic, dried seaweeds in the house, which never go bad and yet fulfill that plant-like role on the food plate, even though they are not really plants.  Part of the problem has to do with having greens and things in the frig - the frig is pretty empty without plant matter, and so I feel like the space needs to be filled, lol.  So, any other strategies out there to change shopping habits?

JaX

Re: How to stop buying so many plant foods?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 09:15:47 pm »
How often do you go grocery shopping?

I go to my health food store and grass-fed meats butcher every day (or at least every 2nd day) so I only get what I know I need for that day and for the next morning. This way nothing is really wasted.

I only occasionally buy vegetables, since I don't have any craving for them when I eat meat, and I also find it that mixing raw meat with raw vegetables makes digestion a lot harder.

Whenever I do buy some vegetables I make soup/broth out of them (to get the minerals from vegetables, while at the same time destroying the anti-nutrients: makes it a lot easier on digestion). I never eat raw salads, lettuce, kale, celery or other rough vegetables as I used to: they are tough on the digestion and are not really taken up by the body anyway. The only vegetables I eat raw are the vegetables which are actually fruits, like cucumber, zucchini, bell peppers, avocado, and even these I eat as snacks between my meat/fat meals.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 02:07:38 am »
I just don't go food shopping very often. Sometimes it back fires because I'll get about a months supply of meat and only go to the store once or twice that month for a little bit of fruit like berries and when my meat starts to run out I am a little lethargic about it because I'm out of the habit of shopping.

I can't imagine how it would be to feed a family, I have plenty of other things occupying my mind rather than feeding myself.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 09:25:46 am »
We buy organic vegetables once a week Saturdays (this morning).
We go to the fishport every other saturday early morning.
Land animal meat when it runs out I buy or my driver buys in the wet market.
We have a wet market culture and nearby markets.
Literally we could go to the wet market everyday if we wanted to.
I used to do that when I was learning my way.
Nowadays it's more systematic.
Fruits we need to buy every 2 to 3 days.
Veggies, just once a week.
Ever since I got into raw paleo for myself and pushing the kids to be more paleo, we've been buying less veggies.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Satya

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 02:19:19 am »
I shop less and less - used to be a few times a week, now once a week max.  I plan to cut back more now that I am not eating a ton of salads.  And I think it's the only way to really break the habit of always buying produce.  I buy all my meat direct from the ranch once a month.  Seafoods I buy every week or 2, depending on season.  I have made a commitment to only buy organic foods at any store.  If I can't find something organic, I go without.  I buy a good amount online too; like herbs and spices from Mountain Rose Herb, seaweeds from Maine Coast Sea Vegetables & Eastern Sun, dried fruits (for the kids) and gluten free tamari at Gold Mine, and olives and nuts from Sun Organics.  But again, I am eating mainly animal foods, and the majority of those are raw, as is most any plant food I buy.  Plant foods I eat are mainly fruits.  So they are like condiments to my meat meals, basically.

I also plan to grow more of my own herbs and fruits, like pickling cucumbers this spring to make my own lacto-fermented pickles.  That way, they are raw, naturally preserved and all that jazz.  I have peach, plum and apricot trees and blackberries.  If I get loads of fruit this year, I will dry some of it.  Apricots I just lurve!  That way, I am staying away from major, industrial foods, organic or not, for the most part.

I may never make it zero carb (obviously), but I am not going to Whole Foods to buy salad greens and such out of season from some greenhouse in CA any longer.  Instead, I will buy raw, sun dried olives once every six months from CA or something.  If there are chives in the garden, great.  If not, then I go without.  That is my intention, and there is a huge amount of freedom involved in not having to go shop all the freakin' time.  I live some distance from major health food stores anyway.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk