Author Topic: vitamin C in dried meat  (Read 13351 times)

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
Re: vitamin C in dried meat
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2009, 01:23:12 pm »
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Akutaq or agutak (????    ? ? ? ? ), also known as Eskimo ice cream, is a common food in western Alaska, consisting of whipped fat mixed with berries. The word comes from Yupik and means "something mixed".[1]

There are many variations of Akutaq, but most are based around mixing berries, meat, leaves, or roots with animal oil or fat. Cranberries, salmonberries, crowberries, cloudberries, and blueberries are common fruits. Salmon and caribou are common meats. Reindeer tallow, moose tallow, walrus tallow, caribou tallow, or seal oil can be used. ... Occasionally, extra water is needed as well.

"Mouse akutak" is made from roots found in mouse holes. Only a portion of the mouse's stored roots is taken, and some people replace the roots with something else the mouse can eat.
[edit]See also

Pemmican

I imagine this desert has Vitamin C.  Anyone here Native Alaskan and have real experience making this?  Is acutaq made with dried meat?  I've mixed fish, berries and raw fat to kind of replicate this.  It was good how I made it, but not special enough to make an effort to make it often.  My berries and everything else were not hand foraged by me etc.  I bet that difference would make a real improvement.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
Re: vitamin C in dried meat
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2010, 03:29:59 am »
    raw, how are you doing?

For anyone who's interested, here's a link that has pictures of making akutaq:

http://fwmail.teenee.com/strange/20363.html

I can't read Thai, so I don't know if they're using Crisco shortening instead of animal fat.  

Ok, this is the title translated into English:
... With a delicious ice cream, fat seal together.
Contains fat from the church list polar (seal) of Discovery Bay and salt and bring to spawn frozen
 Must be seal oil, it's the traditional way.  I doubt they add salt.  Probably mean the seal is from saltwater.

Here's more depth on subsistence akutaq I just found:
Otherwise, the roe was partially dried, stored in wooden barrels to age slightly and then eaten in winter, or used in mak'aaq, a type of akutaq. Served primarily as a dessert, akutaq means "a mixture," usually of berries and fat substances, such as vegetable shortening, reindeer tallow, burbot liver, aged roe, or cooked fish flesh, thinning agents, such as seal oil, vegetable oil, water and milk, and in most cases, sugar

I guess it might turn out to be a modern invention, unless it is reindeer or walrus milk and they using vegetable oil too now for convenience, and I'm sure they didn't used to have sugar.  Sorry.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk