Author Topic: Should you eat the skin of wild raw fish like salmon?  (Read 20112 times)

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: Should you eat the skin of wild raw fish like salmon?
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2010, 10:01:02 pm »
Does freezing kill the parasites?

I've started eating loads, as in at least a kilo per day, of pre-frozen (sometimes still frozen) wild salmon.
Before this I ate fresh wild fish every day, such as tuna and cod. Cod tastes alright but I got sick of seeing parasites in them so I ended up eating tuna every day (until I found frozen wild salmon to replace it (hell of a lot cheaper!)). I've never seen a parasite in tuna and I've eaten hundreds of euros worth of tuna the past month.
Common consensus seems to be 14 days of freezing will wipe out any parasites. :)
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2010, 02:20:13 am »
It looks like a worm. I'm not sure what kind.
I've inspected some of my fish before and did find some worms in it. It's disturbing especially if you've already eaten some of it without bothering to check it.
You can eat it. When people de-vein shrimp they pull that out but I know people who eat cook & eat shrimp with it in.

So after having seen worms do you continue to eat fish?
I mean i've just been thinking about this worm stuff for the last 14 hours non stop. I was having dreams about parasites and worms in my gut.

I mean, better to take these wormy things out of the fish, no?
But, should we even be eating fish with this stuff in it?

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2010, 03:25:58 am »
So after having seen worms do you continue to eat fish?
I mean i've just been thinking about this worm stuff for the last 14 hours non stop. I was having dreams about parasites and worms in my gut.
I did when I found it in some Smelt. Granted, it did stem most of my appetite so I only finished up the one fish (while checking for worms very thoroughly) but I did eat more.

I mean, better to take these wormy things out of the fish, no?
But, should we even be eating fish with this stuff in it?
I think it's best to take them out.
I guess it really depends on your conviction in regards to parasites & RPD. I personally agree with the viewpoint that the parasites really do work in a janitorial capacity and therefore won't cause as much if any problems for someone eating RPD and as a result ingesting less toxins. All that being said I personally am not going to consciously eat a parasite but will instead keep an eye on my food an remove anything as necessary.
If it bothers you as bad as it does just freeze the fish for a couple weeks. Nothing can get you then but you'll still get much, if not all, of the benefits of fresh raw fish. :)
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2010, 05:00:30 am »
Good strategy, I will consider it. Some of the fish I buy has already been frozen before.

So, you think that even if we got the parasites they act like janitors? So does that mean they don't consume healthy cells and live nutrients but only decaying cells? I thought parsites feed on live living tissue as well.

Lets say we had a fish parasite in a test tube or petri dish and we fed it nutrients that are nutritious to humans. Wouldn't it eat that live nutriious food as opposed to only eating the dead/decaying food?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk