Author Topic: price of the primal diet:  (Read 8584 times)

Offline pioneer

• Chief
    • View Profile
price of the primal diet:
« on: May 19, 2010, 01:27:28 am »
I come from a frugal family and am used to buying cheap food. I recently converted to the primal diet after a year on the paleo diet. Although I recieved increased health from paleo, my vitality was just not there. I searched for more answers and came to this. I am willing to spend a lot of money on the diet but it seems by Aajonus's recommendations in his books that the primal diet would cost nearly $20 a day. That is a lot of money. Does that estimate seem right or does anyone get their food cheaper?
2lb grassfed meat= $10
6 raw eggs=           $.75
1/2 stick raw butter= $5
2 cup raw milk       = $.80
celery/tomato/cilantro juice= $1
6 tblsp unheated honey = $.75
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

"There is a lot of pressure to be sexualized but not to actually be sexual."
- women's health member

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: price of the primal diet:
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 01:36:27 am »
are these the estimates in the book, or what you are paying?

seems like really low estimates (extremely cheaper than what I would expect) to me except the butter, depending on what a stick is (I think usually its 1/4 lb, which should be more like $2.50)

if you've been doing raw paleo, you could continue getting the bulk of your food from animal fat, with butter and less meat

Offline pioneer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 01:49:09 am »
Yes they are my estimates not in the book. I buy ground beef for around $5 and organs for around $4 and eat both a day. I could definitely do animal fat and less butter, but why doesn't Aajonus recommend animal fat in his books. I could get suet and tallow from grasslandbeef.com for dirt cheap. I guess my question is: is raw animal fat just as good or better than raw butter? and how do you make it taste good without tampering with it? Thank you guys. I know I'm a newbie but I have always stuck with things I believe in and I def believe in this. After 2 weeks on the diet digestion is great and I dont even have to use toilet paper anymore, LOL...
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

- women's health member

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 04:20:28 am »
OK, I've heard about rumours that raw dairy in the USA is hideously expensive. That may be true but, in the UK, it is very cheap, by comparison. Whatever the case, raw marrow and raw suet should always be dirt-cheap. Besides, raw dairy, even raw butter, contains nasty addictive opioids in it which cause further health-related problems.

If you eat just raw muscle-meats and  raw organs(eg:- raw tongue, raw suet, raw marrow,raw kidney, raw heart, raw liver) and some raw veg/fruit such as raw apples/pears/medlars/blueberries/raspberries/raw avocadoes/cucumbers  etc., then you'll be fine.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline pioneer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 09:58:41 am »
Ive been looking around today and found out that the best way to save money is to buy organs. They are so cheap and even better nutrition too. I just have to cycle them. Also, to eat a lot of raw fats which I could get for free from a grassfed meat butcher. I dont even need butter and I bet animal fat is far superior even though Aajonus recommends butter so much. So with that all being said, theres no reason why my diet shouldnt be around $10 a day. 1lb organ, 1lb muscle, 1/2-1lb fat, 6 eggs, 2 cups milk, various veggies, dont really like fruit much but I'll have it sometimes.

- women's health member

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 10:25:05 am »
this is like 4000-6500 cals. what was your previous paleo diet like?

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 06:49:30 pm »
, theres no reason why my diet shouldnt be around $10 a day. 1lb organ, 1lb muscle, 1/2-1lb fat, 6 eggs, 2 cups milk, various veggies, dont really like fruit much but I'll have it sometimes.

Is that salad or juice?  Were you raised raw?

medlars/blueberries/raspberries/raw avocadoes/cucumbers  etc., then you'll be fine.

What are medlars?

doesn't Aajonus recommend animal fat in his books. I could get suet and tallow from grasslandbeef.com for dirt cheap. I guess my question is: is raw animal fat just as good or better than raw butter?...I dont even have to use toilet paper anymore, LOL...

I love that about eating right.  Grasslandbeef's tallow is thoroughly cooked and strained.  Butter is nerve nourishing.  Marrow is good for your marrow.  It seems athletes use suet (raw not tallow).  Olive oil helps with myelination.  Cream nourishes the brain.  What are you aiming for?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 07:03:28 pm by RawZi »
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 06:55:11 pm »

What are medlars?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vangueria_infausta

They are a delightfully tasty fruit that has to be eaten when it's rotting as it's only soft enough then. It unfortunately has a lot of undigestible seeds in it but that's all.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 07:04:30 pm »
    I don't think I've ever seen that before.  Thanks.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline pioneer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 03:27:12 am »
Yeah Id like to gain some weight on this diet in the form of muscle, thats why Im trying to consume around 4000 cal a day. Ive been recently getting local grass fed raw fats from a butcher for free and its tasteless but I'm not complaining. I dont have access to raw butter, is pasteurized butter at a low temp good like grasslandbeef.com's? I get my raw milk for $6.50 a gallon and drink 2 cups a day of that. I was not raised raw but have always been into doing personal research in science and nutrition and after years of research, the primal diet or raw paleo make the most sense to me. Its funny how for so long I thought I had it all figured out when I was on cooked paleo, but I never felt the kind of vitality I do now after only 2 weeks on raw. Weston a Price, Pottenger, and Aajonus's books are like nutrition bibles to me. Thanks for everyone being supportive, its nice to know there are others who see eye to eye.

- women's health member

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 07:01:51 pm »
Most here find all dairy, raw or pasteurised, to be quite harmful.
" Ron Paul.

Offline pioneer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 08:30:08 pm »
I know, but what about the bacteria? can I get enough from raw meat? And why didnt Aajonus find it harmful. I totally agree that humans weren't meant to consume it though.

- women's health member

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 08:48:40 pm »
Fresh, raw meat contains plenty of bacteria. If you want even more, you'd have to try aging it(ie "high-meat"). As for Aajonus, I think he could be considerably healthier if he didn't consume any raw dairy.
" Ron Paul.

Offline pioneer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 02:32:33 am »
Thanks TylerDurden, I have been meaning to try high meat. Even though I am a newbie to the diet I feel I am ready because I took to the diet right away eating pounds of meat a day with no psychological blocks. As for milk, I've been on cooked paleo for an entire year with no dairy consumption whatsoever. Ever since I've been looking at what people say is a miracle (including Aajonus) which seems to be only raw dairy. How come it supposedly cures cancer. My theory is that Raw meat, Raw dairy, anything raw will help cure cancer because it gives you bacteria, but it doesnt necessarily mean dairy is good for you. I guess you could say just increasing bacteria consumption in general cures.

- women's health member

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk