Author Topic: Epigenetics study shows that father's diet can influence his children's health  (Read 3600 times)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Ayurveda roughly says that also. They say that whatever physical and mental/emotional condition the parents are in at the moment of conception is crystallised in the embryo as the dosha.

That's why it is important to reproduce only when you are healthy, happy and love your partner and want the child. The Kama Sutra spells out the results of and how to create a perfect child.

However, the genes are destiny is somewhat BS and this has been shown in scientific studies. Ie. just because your dad is a drunk, unhealthy and a loser and your mom is a prostitute means nothing if you decide your own destiny, walk your own path.

The tendency may be there but it's not a life sentence.
Cheers
Al

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Ayurveda roughly says that also. They say that whatever physical and mental/emotional condition the parents are in at the moment of conception is crystallised in the embryo as the dosha.

That's why it is important to reproduce only when you are healthy, happy and love your partner and want the child. The Kama Sutra spells out the results of and how to create a perfect child.

However, the genes are destiny is somewhat BS and this has been shown in scientific studies. Ie. just because your dad is a drunk, unhealthy and a loser and your mom is a prostitute means nothing if you decide your own destiny, walk your own path.

The tendency may be there but it's not a life sentence.
Well, except for the fact that having an alcoholic father or mother can lead directly to conditions like lifelong epilepsy or worse.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
No argument there.

Having a parent with a predisposition to act in some neurotic or character flawed manner (which is darned near all of us LOL) will tend to transfer to children and this may translate into a disorder or disease of some kind, like in the instance of a parent forcing a child to eat something in the belief that it is "good for you" when indeed it is toxic for the child.

This is a case where education or treatment for a serious psychological issue may be the cure rather than being some sort of "gene" related issue.
Cheers
Al

CitrusHigh

What you eat affects your grandchildren as well a la epigenetics..
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 08:45:24 pm »
Wow Ty, that is so cool you picked up on the importance of epigenetics...here's another one along those lines...

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-205_162-57481348/your-diet-affects-your-grandchildrens-dna-studies-say/

Also how is this in OffTopic? Sometimes I think that we forget this is not about eating raw meat for the sake of raw meat, it's about being healthy, the mod in my traditional foods group forgets that too. The point is to live as free of disease as possible (or whatever level of health you CHOOSE, as opposed to suffering because you can't guide your own health, eg, western medicine)

I'm consecrating this as the official epigenetics thread unless there is a better one for me to post all epigenetic related material. This is so incredibly super relevant to our world view re diet and health that it absolutely deserves it's own section on the forum. I mean, the whole basis of this forum is that our ancestors ate this (paleo), so you are designed (epigenetically and otherwise) to be nourished and sustained by that as well. There is really no dispute there, so what gives?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 09:00:20 pm by Thoth »

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Ayurveda says that some things a mother may do may skip a generation before manifesting in a child say for instance needing glasses due to Grandma's habits.

This follows along with what Pottenger showed with multi generations of cats where the ones consuming raw foods had progeny that improved and in some cases took 7 generations to normalize from cooked food damage.
Cheers
Al

CitrusHigh

So funny that you would write that Al and then I would come across this article first thing when I 'liked' epigenetics on facebook...

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/07/120731103037.htm

"Depending on the relationship, one's mother can either produce stress or relieve it," said Gerald Weissmann, M.D., Editor-in-Chief of The FASEB Journal. "This report shows that her effect on stress begins even before birth. The importance of choline cannot be overstated as we continue to unravel the role it plays in human health and development."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk