Author Topic: transitioning to raw- best way to lightly cook 3lb sirloin roast?  (Read 11397 times)

Offline drewpalermo

• Forager
    • View Profile
Hey guys, I got a boneless sirloin roast at the Farmer's Market today here in MN.  It's 100% grass fed and grass finished (no antibiotics or hormones).  It's a bit over 3 pounds.  I see great benefits with raw meats, but am a little hesitant jumping straight to raw. 

I'm now eating my eggs mostly raw (poached a very short amount of time) and most of the egg whites are raw.

What would be an easy way to lightly cook the outside?  Many recipes for sirloin roast call for oven roasting, set it at 325 or whatever until it's medium rare.  I'm looking at making it RARE.  How about throwing it on the pan on the stove top and lightly cooking each side until there's no pink to see?  Seems easy enough.  And what's a good way to store the leftovers?  I'd like to separate them into about 4 oz servings and freeze them until needed.  What do you think?

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: transitioning to raw- best way to lightly cook 3lb sirloin roast?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 01:30:51 pm »
In the event that you are going to eat this meat over the next two weeks, there would be no need to package and freeze it. Just make sure to let it get air in the fridge so you don't end up with the wrong type of bacteria (anaerobic).

Another consideration: if you sear the outside of a 3-pound roast, you will have quite a core of raw meat, so you might consider eating all of it raw.

Also, searing in a pan denatures the proteins on the surface of the meat. If your aim is to avoid the chemical changes that happen when meat is cooked, don't let too much of the meat get toughened by the heat.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline dariorpl

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 03:32:24 pm »
Oh man you're just killing me. I would love to have access to that quality of meats.

Don't cook it. Just don't. You'll ruin it. I was having blue rare steaks for 2.5 years with no benefits whatsoever, until I started eating them entirely raw.

Eat a little bit at at a time if you feel weird about it. The taste and texture totally grows on you and suddenly it becomes the only thing that makes any sense.

And I personally wouldn't freeze it, either.
We now live in a world where medicine destroys health, law destroys justice, education destroys knowledge, government destroys order, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and banking destroys the economy

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 10:58:50 pm »
It's strange but I never got any benefits from eating rare meats in pre-rawpalaeodiet days, despite the meats being effectively raw in the centre. I don't know why. What is truly irritating is that I should have noticed from the start that, on those very rare occasions when I ate raw steak tartare, that it was one of the very few times I was not experiencing the usual, very painful stomach-aches I got from eating any cooked-animal-foods.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 11:18:23 pm »
It's strange but I never got any benefits from eating rare meats ...

drewpalermo, it's important to understand what happens to the protein molecule when it gets "cooked" by heat. It changes from a simple-to-digest molecule to a tough piece of rubber. That's a good analogy because rubber itself is soft until it is vulcanized - that is, heated until the molecule toughens. The digestive system has to work incredibly hard to "digest" cooked meat, and the best it can do is a far cry from true digestion.

This applies to cooked meats, eggs, fish, pasteurized milk, etc. If you want the benefits of raw eating, the food must be raw.

Offline drewpalermo

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 12:21:28 am »
thanks for the replies so far.  I definitely feel more comfortable with not cooking it for very long.  I suppose I could just brown the outside enough then cut that off afterwards and only be eating raw meat.

Offline FRANCIS HOWARD BOND

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 12:47:59 am »
Why not try cutting a thin slice or teaspoonful from it, close both eyes, open mouth and taste (before you ruin it)?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 12:51:07 am »
When I first tried eating raw organ-meats like raw liver, I would start by gulping a tiny sliver of raw liver down quickly followed by a huge gulp of high-alkaline mineral-water which helped clear the taste and prevented me from vomiting the raw liver out. After c.2-3 weeks, I got used to the taste of raw liver and started to like it, so it was not an issue any more.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 02:23:43 am »
cut it into thin slices and let them hang/dry out a bit, they should be easier to chew once the native bacteria and enzymes work to break the meat down a little bit, if you are going to eat it for dinner just cut it in the am and hang it on racks somewhere dry.  the flavor should also be more palatable and its just nice not to be eating on cold meat. extra points for dippin it in raw egg yolks with a little salt ;) 

Offline dariorpl

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2015, 02:31:37 am »
Another thing you can do is use lemon juice to brown it, or brown the outside. It'll predigest the proteins in the same way your stomach acid does. It'll look cooked, but you won't miss out on any of the benefits, and in fact it's even easier to digest since it's predigested and it'll require less production of acid in your stomach.

I often do this for ground beef and fish, and it has the added benefit of making it last longer in the fridge without developing a strong flavor.
We now live in a world where medicine destroys health, law destroys justice, education destroys knowledge, government destroys order, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and banking destroys the economy

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 04:05:25 am »
thanks for the replies so far.  I definitely feel more comfortable with not cooking it for very long.  I suppose I could just brown the outside enough then cut that off afterwards and only be eating raw meat.

If you do not want to eat the cooked outside surface, why cook it at all in the first place?

Offline dariorpl

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2015, 05:29:45 am »
If you do not want to eat the cooked outside surface, why cook it at all in the first place?

There is this belief that the surface of meat is contaminated by dangerous bacteria, but that the inside is sterile and/or safe. This is the reason why so many people are paranoid about a rare burger, but may think a rare steak is ok. (because in the burger, some of what used to be on the surface is now inside, and will remain uncooked or undercooked with all of the so-called dangerous bacteria)

Offline drewpalermo

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2015, 10:28:51 am »
There is this belief that the surface of meat is contaminated by dangerous bacteria, but that the inside is sterile and/or safe. This is the reason why so many people are paranoid about a rare burger, but may think a rare steak is ok. (because in the burger, some of what used to be on the surface is now inside, and will remain uncooked or undercooked with all of the so-called dangerous bacteria)

Yep, that's pretty much what I'd say.  The lemon juice idea is a good one.  May have to implement that

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2015, 10:35:30 am »
How many times are we going to have to answer this question? Literally hundreds of millions of people around the world eat raw meat/fish daily, and have for millennia. This is the single sickest culture in the WORLD regarding nutrition.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2015, 10:59:46 am »
Yep, that's pretty much what I'd say.  The lemon juice idea is a good one.  May have to implement that

The pH of stomach acid is in the same range as the pH of lemon juice, so I don't see what you would gain by using lemon juice. Stomach acid is specifically designed to digest raw meat, whereas lemon on meat is a modern culinary invention. Why settle for less than the best, as nature intended?

Offline dariorpl

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2015, 01:21:29 pm »

I posted one of my recipes here

http://www.rawpaleodietforum.com/welcoming-commitee/anyone-eats-raw-meat-in-secret-to-their-family/msg130167/#msg130167

Offline dariorpl

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2015, 01:34:10 pm »
The pH of stomach acid is in the same range as the pH of lemon juice, so I don't see what you would gain by using lemon juice. Stomach acid is specifically designed to digest raw meat, whereas lemon on meat is a modern culinary invention. Why settle for less than the best, as nature intended?

For people with a weak digestive system, I think it can be beneficial. It predigests the meat and allows bacteria and molds to go to work on it right away. If we all lived as nature intended, it would likely not be necessary. But in this day and age, many people may be too damaged to fully absorb all the nutrients even in fresh raw meat. So whatever can aid in digestion may be a benefit.

But maybe you're right, and it's only detrimental. I know I personally do better when I take the time to marinate it than when I eat it alone. But that might be because when have it marinated, I also add plenty of raw eggs, which I usually don't do if it's not marinated. As the marinated meat absorbs the slimyness of the egg white more easily without becoming sticky and slimy itself. This part is purely a preference, as my problem with raw eggs is the slimyness of the white.

When I mix even a large number of raw eggs with marinated ground beef, it turns the whole concoction into some sort of cereal with milk, it's quite tasty. If I use less eggs, I can barely tell the eggs are there as far as texture, but the taste improves because of the fat in the yolk.

I need the fats from the organic free-range eggs because I can't get grassfed beef, so I need to have only the lean muscle meat, as the fats, organs and bone marrow -which are otherwise the most nutritious parts- contain all the stored toxins. But if I eat lean meats alone with no fats, I think my body has a bit of trouble dealing with all the proteins and with no fats. The same happens when I eat lean wild fish alone. I try to mix it with avocados otherwise (just goes better than with eggs, I think)

I had some raw organic pork ribs recently that were very fatty, and they were delicious and my body loved them without any marination. The same happens when I have raw organic free-range chicken, which is also fatty, particularly because I also have all of the bone marrow along with the skin and meat and I even eat some parts of the bones. But when I tried to have the raw fat from conventional feedlot finished beef, it was disgusting. Mainly due to the texture.

I still have unmarinated raw beef every now and then, when I can't be bothered to grind and marinate it. Usually if I have to eat at someone else's place. I wouldn't say it's a problem. But lately, a while after every meat meal, I feel euphoric and peaceful at the same time. That doesn't happen if I have only lean meats with no fats. And I'm more likely to feel a bit sluggish and annoyed instead, if only for a little while.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 01:52:29 pm by dariorpl »

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2015, 03:10:54 pm »
Hey guys, I got a boneless sirloin roast at the Farmer's Market today here in MN.  It's 100% grass fed and grass finished (no antibiotics or hormones).  It's a bit over 3 pounds.  I see great benefits with raw meats, but am a little hesitant jumping straight to raw. 

I'm now eating my eggs mostly raw (poached a very short amount of time) and most of the egg whites are raw.

What would be an easy way to lightly cook the outside?  Many recipes for sirloin roast call for oven roasting, set it at 325 or whatever until it's medium rare.  I'm looking at making it RARE.  How about throwing it on the pan on the stove top and lightly cooking each side until there's no pink to see?  Seems easy enough.  And what's a good way to store the leftovers?  I'd like to separate them into about 4 oz servings and freeze them until needed.  What do you think?

i followed tyler's guide for newbies. seared less and less each time.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Satya

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2015, 04:09:10 am »
cut it into thin slices and let them hang/dry out a bit, they should be easier to chew once the native bacteria and enzymes work to break the meat down a little bit, if you are going to eat it for dinner just cut it in the am and hang it on racks somewhere dry.  the flavor should also be more palatable and its just nice not to be eating on cold meat. extra points for dippin it in raw egg yolks with a little salt ;)

This sounds like a really good option.  Drying does give a flavor that many newbies cling to when transitioning.

Offline drewpalermo

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2015, 10:05:50 am »
So far so good with the raw meat, guys.  I did try to sear most of the outside a little bit on the stovetop, but not much.  Then I cut it up into 14 or so steak sized pieces.  Been combining grated ginger root and cooked red cabbage to round it out (other spices as well).

Do any of you notice a surge in your libido "mojo" when feasting on raw meat?  I've felt it, and it must be from the bioavailable zinc content.  I think I'm pretty deficient in it by the way.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2015, 11:38:59 am »
So far so good with the raw meat, guys.  I did try to sear most of the outside a little bit on the stovetop, but not much.  Then I cut it up into 14 or so steak sized pieces.  Been combining grated ginger root and cooked red cabbage to round it out (other spices as well).

Do any of you notice a surge in your libido "mojo" when feasting on raw meat?  I've felt it, and it must be from the bioavailable zinc content.  I think I'm pretty deficient in it by the way.

Raw animal foods in general are a libido boost for me. Oysters have far more zinc than beef. Give them a shot if you are curious.

Offline nummi

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2015, 02:15:24 pm »
Instead of cooking you might want to try a food drier/dehydrator. Put the pieces of meat there, let them "dry" a little with the low heat, and then eat them. They don't become cooked because it's not hot enough, but the raw flavor is definitely enhanced. I've noticed refrigerated meat doesn't taste as good as room temperature meat, and noticed that room temperature meat doesn't taste as good as warmed (but not cooked) meat.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2015, 11:42:45 pm »
you can also sun cook things.  i have been known to make cheeseburgers in the sun by taking ground meats(adding a little garlic powder) and making a patty, placing that on a grate in a hot and sunny location, letting that cook in the sun a while and adding a slice of cheese til it melts, also nice to put onion slices on the side and let them cook. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk