Author Topic: Manila Standard Reports and Pontificates on the Paleo Diet  (Read 5945 times)

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
Manila Standard Reports and Pontificates on the Paleo Diet
« on: February 20, 2010, 12:09:45 pm »
http://www.manilastandardtoday.com/insideLifestyle.htm?f=2010/february/17/lifestyle4.isx&d=2010/february/17
A note after the article states: "The Daily 10 is neither endorsing nor criticizing the paleo diet. This article is for information purposes only." I'll let you, the readers, decide whether it in the net endorses or criticizes the Paleo diet or is unbiased.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Manila Standard Reports and Pontificates on the Paleo Diet
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 12:35:29 pm »
Almost every article ever written is biased in one way or another. This one is not trying to be biased (at least in my opinion) but it is just do to all the "scientific studies" that have already been completed while people are on SAD diets. Also its very funny that you found this article because I asked a similar question in general forums and this article somewhat answers it.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 12:43:37 pm »
Introducing the paleo diet

by Ed Biado

Before agricultural practices were discovered 10,000 years ago, man’s source of sustenance was hunting and gathering. As early as the ‘70s, the paleolithic way of eating has been advocated as Mother Nature’s design and is the answer in eradicating “diseases of civilization,” like obesity, cardiovascular and autoimmune diseases and a host of other medical conditions.

Recently, more people have transitioned from the regular agrarian diet to the caveman diet. But mainstream nutritionists are not convinced. Both the American Dietetic Association and the national Health Service of England have classified it as a fad diet. But what is the paleo diet really all about? Here are the basics:

1. The diet tries to mimic its prehistoric basis as much as possible but because of the absence of wild sources, cultivated plants and domesticated animal meat are consumed instead. It consists of foods that can exclusively be hunted (meat, offal), fished (seafood) and gathered (insects, eggs, sees, nuts, vegetables, herbs). Although, today, no actual hunting takes place to obtain the foods.

2. Grains, legumes and dairy products are avoided because these only started to become readily available during the Neolithic, the first agricultural revolution. It is, therefore, extremely low in carbohydrates and, perhaps, calcium. The diet further excludes salt, refined sugar and processed oils. Everything that’s manufactured is also prohibited.

3. Grass-fed animal meats are generally preferred over grain-fed ones as they contain higher levels of omega-3 fatty acids. Also. grass is what animals would normally eat in the wild.

4. A high-protein and low-carb diet, the paleo lifestyle may have cardiovascular protective properties and prevent obesity and type 2 diabetes. It is, however, also unhealthy for someone to practice excessive carbohydrate restriction. Carbohydrate consumption during the paleolithic is debated, as hunter-gatherers at that time could have had a carbohydrate-rich diet by eating tubers.

5. The unrestricted consumption of unprocessed meats translates into high levels of monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats and virtually zero trans fat. The risk of cardiovascular diseases are, therefore, drastically lessened. Cholesterol, on the other hand, is present in high quantities.

6. A paleo-based diet is generally gluten-free, which could prove suitable for those with gluten sensitivity. (Gluten is a component of wheat, rye and barley.) It is also free of casein, a protein in milk and dairy products that’s been linked to weakening glucose tolerance in humans.

7. Contrary to some beliefs, paleo is not a raw food diet. Cooking is widely accepted and practiced by paleo dieters, as it has been in existence by the middle of the Stone Age. Some proponents, however, prefer to follow earlier practices and refrain from any form of cooking.

8. The viability of the peleo diet is intensely contested. The biggest criticism, perhaps, is that paleolithic cavemen had relatively short lives, an indication that the diet may not promote longevity. Proponents defend this by saying that the early deaths can be attributed to hunting accidents and when the hunter becomes the hunted.

9. The very fact that modern humans have different lifestyles, activities and metabolisms from cavemen poses a valid concern. Opponents are arguing that prehistoric hunter-gatherers (both men and women) was very physically active and presumed to have been able to digest large quantities of meat whereas contemporary humans with sedentary lifestyles can only do so for smaller quantities.

10. Critics are also pointing out that should the paleo diet be proven and generally accepted to be a beneficial diet, implementing it on a worldwide scale is impossible, providing arguments other than the obvious that it’s unpalatable. Discontinuing the cultivation of grains would impair the livelihood of farmers, producing the prescribed food items would be expensive and the supply of the un-fattened pasture-grazed cattle would not be enough.

(Note: The Daily 10 is neither endorsing nor criticizing the paleo diet. This article is for information purposes only.)

from: http://www.manilastandardtoday.com/insideLifestyle.htm?f=2010/february/17/lifestyle4.isx&d=2010/february/17

---------

We are getting popular.  Nice catch!

I would like to add that we who practice a RAW PALEO DIET do so because it is the SUPERIOR variant to the cooked paleo diet.

- healing
- cleansing
- mucus free
- pollution free
- raw animal fat is "magic", the original, the healing, nourishing, lubricating, uncorrupted fat.  Same with raw protein.
(do you really think you can cure omega3 deficiency using cooked tuna? Obvious logic.)

And I'm also gunning for longevity.  If I have grandparents and great grandparents who are centenarians on rice, veggy and cooked animal diets, then I'd like to be a swinging centenarian and live much longer.  Hopefully I can reverse the damage done to my system during pre-rpd days.

And as far as implementing paleo diet on a worldwide scale... forget it.  Call me selfish.  I try so hard publicizing raw paleo diet on my blogs and people don't get it or won't do it.  As long as I'm healthy and my family and my descendants are healthy... I'll be happy with that.

I'm on paleo diet because I was sick and dying on SAD.  My children heal fast on raw paleo diet.  We have very good personal reasons to be on the paleo diet because it keeps us healthy.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 12:55:34 pm by goodsamaritan »
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 06:49:14 pm »
Of course the article is lying about claiming that cooking arose in the middle of the stone-age, it only started in the last 10% of the palaeolithic era.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 07:04:27 pm »
Of course the article is lying about claiming that cooking arose in the middle of the stone-age, it only started in the last 10% of the palaeolithic era.
But it doesn't mean that people started to cook everything. Even now many cultures have got quite a lot of raw animal products.
I think that cooked foods was only small part of their diet. They cooked more in neolithic times.
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 06:23:10 am »
The date that people started to cook food has been debated over and over no one really knows we can only estimate.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

William

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 10:07:02 am »
The date that people started to cook food has been debated over and over no one really knows we can only estimate.

Yes, we really do know. It goes like this:
1-Cooked meat contains toxins
2-toxins make sick
3-sick leaves marks on bones - ask any pathologist, or those who estimate age-at-death by bones of those over 32.
4-Paleobones have no such marks
5-therefore, paleoman ate no cooked meat.

Neolithic man is crazy enough to eat stuff that makes sick & dead - if you don't believe that, read vegetarian forums.
Paleoman was not crazy.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 05:54:04 pm »
  Not true.Most anthroplogists agree that cooking came about c.250,000 to 300,000 years ago. It's only a few discredited fools like Wrangham who claim different,and the evidence for the latter is sparse and very heavily disputed.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

carnivore

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 05:58:57 pm »
 Not true.Most anthroplogists agree that cooking came about c.250,000 to 300,000 years ago. It's only a few discredited fools like Wrangham who claim different,and the evidence for the latter is sparse and very heavily disputed.

Even if the first traces of cooking dates back to 1 million years ago, when did human start to cook systematically ?
Probably a few ten thousand years...

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 06:19:39 pm »
Even if the first traces of cooking dates back to 1 million years ago, when did human start to cook systematically ?
Probably a few ten thousand years...
  The date for cooking isn't really relevant anyway. As PP pointed out, animals such as giant pandas haven't adapted to certain raw foods despite eating them for 2 million years, so the notion that we must all have adapted to something even more extreme, namely cooked foods, after 250,000+ years is too unlikely to be credible.
" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk