Author Topic: Laundry soap, cleaning and personal hygiene  (Read 29701 times)

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
Re: Laundry soap, cleaning and personal hygiene
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2009, 05:59:20 am »
Genuine Aleppo soap, made to the original recipe, is recognized and used for its natural properties. ...
Specially recommended for cleansing and cleaning dry skin (and problem skin) and hair - even for washing clothes. 100% Biodegradable.

http://www.alepposoap.com/presentation.htm

How is the soap working Nicola?  Have you tried it on clothes too?  How does it compare to you to other clothes washing products?

What do you use to wash and clean?

http://www.maggiespureland.com/

and for your personal hygiene :-\???

I bought the nuts, but haven't opened the box yet.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline Permasprout

• Forager
    • View Profile
Smelly pits
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2010, 12:03:33 am »
I stopped using all soaps, lotions, shampoos and conditioners almost three weeks ago.I use olive oil (with lavender oil for a nice smell) after my shower for lotion and it works great. Takes a little longer to soak in but my skin is very happy with it.

Been trying not to use antiperspirant as the aluminium freaks me out and I know it clogs things up. I can smell myself though and feel really self-conscious. I don't want to be labled a "dirty hippie".

I'm going to try baking soda and water for my armpits. Do you think there would be a bad reaction if I put a drop of tea tree or orange essential oil in it?

I've tried a few brands of natural deodorants and they just make my armpits feel wet all the time and sometimes make me smell worse.

Anyone notice that they smell better/worse after certain foods? I've been trying to lay off the onions to see if that helps.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2010, 01:46:14 am »
    Dry some lemon peel.  Then grind it up.  Try rubbing that on your armpit and see if that helps.  I have not tried it, but I know a lot of people who do.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2010, 03:48:22 am »
with baking soda, moisten it and spread it inside arm pit, leave while showering, then rinse off when done.  That's it, don't use as a powder aftershowing.  I bet you'll stop perspiring when you give up cooked food and allow the glands in the arm pits to cleanse themselves by letting them perspire for as long as they need.  I always have wet armpits when I eat cooked food, as well as a smell. 

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2010, 06:16:26 am »

i have a friend who is a bartender who rubs limes in his pits while at work..im not sure that it works perhaps the acid kills some of the offending bacteria? 

William

« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2010, 09:18:38 am »
Does he then squeeze those limes in someone's drink?

The who eat rzc reek not. We are so holy that some must smoke, lest the halo be apparent.  :D

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2010, 12:00:42 pm »
Does he then squeeze those limes in someone's drink?

i thought about that too haha!
dirty martini

Offline Permasprout

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2010, 09:49:56 am »
What do you all do to clean your ears? I've stopped using q-tips because I've been told that can compact wax in your ear and impair your hearing. I was hoping my hearing would've gotten better but it hasn't. I just feel that wax in my ear. Yuck!

I tried using baking soda yesterday as deodorant and wow! I had been stinky for at least 3 days and was getting desperate enough to use antiperspirant. I just made a paste of baking soda and a few drops of water, spread it on (like I'd use deodorant) and brushed away the excess. I wasn't stinky yesterday or today! And I didn't even put it on today!

Thanks guys!

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2010, 12:51:55 pm »
What do you all do to clean your ears?

My fingernails. LOL 

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2010, 07:07:22 am »
I used to get chronic wax (cerumen) buildup in my left ear (coincidentally, many of my health issues occurred just or mainly on my left side) and mildly painful tinnitus (and I didn't think that tinnitus could be painful until it happened), but since I went VLC over a year ago I've only had a tiny amount of wax that I helped along with my pinky and the tinnitus is gone. I'm hoping the wax problem is also resolved.

The hair cells (cilia) inside the ear are supposed to move it out on their own, but some people's hair cells get damaged or get overwhelmed by excess wax production and I suspect ear dryness contributes by slowing it down (and dryness likely also contributes to wax buildup, since part of the wax is composed of dead skin) so that the flow of wax out the ear gets bogged down and a buildup occurs. I suspect that modern foods are one of the causes for reasons I won't get into here. This chiropractor also suspects it and cites foods as the primary reason: http://chetday.com/howtotreatearwax.htm (he's not raw Paleo, so I obviously don't agree with him on everything and readers should beware).

Some !Kung San use an extra-long fingernail on their pinky to pick their nose, so I wonder if they use that on their ears as well. When I had the chronic buildup (around every 3-6 months or so) I tried ear drops in my ears overnight and ear drops combined with warm water sprayed from an ear bulb. It got a little out, but it never worked very well, so I went back to using a Q-tip or a bent paper clip despite the warnings.

Ear candling didn't work at all. Someone insistently recommended candling to me, so I gave it a shot, despite being skeptical. It's zero results (as verified before and after by my father with an ear-light) despite carefully following the instructions left me unimpressed. When I quizzed the people who claimed it worked they admitted that they didn't actually have someone look in their ears with a light before and after the candling, so I'm also skeptical that it actually worked for them until they do that (since then I've discovered that these same people also believe every chain-email that gets forwarded to them  -\ ).
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Permasprout

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2010, 11:18:08 am »
I've been off soap for almost 5 weeks now. I skin brush 2-3 times a week. I've only been showering with water and moisturizing with olive oil. I still feel like I want to scrub my hair and body with something like dirt or a brush. My hair feels less greasy if I comb the roots (upward towards the crown) twice a day. What can I use that won't kill my skin's natural bacteria?

When I feel like I want to break down and use soap, I use Rhassoul clay and apply it as a body mask, letting it dry before I rinse it off. I do this once or twice a week. Lately it seems to irritate my skin a bit.

This week, I am going to try using organic coconut oil and lime juice to see if it makes me smell good and feel clean.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to clean your body/hair with no water?

Offline afroza

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2010, 04:00:47 pm »
I use eggs nowadays for hair, from pasture-fed chickens, and it gives you some of the "clean" feeling you get with schampoo. It even lathers a bit. But you need to rinse with quite a bit of water, cold water.  I have long hair and I wash it once per month. I brush it everyday, that spreads the fat from the skalp evenly in rest of the hair and makes it easy to manage. I always braid my hair, othervise I would not be comfortable with the oily look you get when you don´t wash it oftenly. I never put any other oil in my hair, or on my body, I feel that it makes the skin dry after some time. Just avoiding soap takes care of moisterising skin.
I have never used deodorant or perfumes, can´t stand then, except musk oil wich I find very attractive. Not sure if it is acctually real oil from the musk deer, probably not I´m afraid.
No tothpaste, I brush if I get fuzzy teeth, usually in the evenings. I still use soap (some herbal, coconut stuff) for my armpit, othervise I stink, but I think it might be a problem that will go away after beeing on RAF for some more time. The person I know who have done this the longest (about 5 years), he stank for the first 3 years (detoxing from bad SAD) and is, I would call it, odourless nowadays. No bad breath either. I hope to reach that stage. Don´t mind normal body smell though, kind of like it.
For washing I use the soapnuts that Nicola mentioned earlier, and Raw mentioned Ritha, it´s the same thing (ritha is the name for it here in India and Bhangladesh). It grows where I live, but if I where back in Europe I would prefer to use soft soap from pine trees, or something else local.
In Kashmir I am lucky to have a natural stream just next to our land, with cold glacier water running, and we use it for drinking and bathing. It is rich in bacteria and oh, so tasy.  When here in Goa we suffer with the clorine water like everyone else. We take baths in the ocean though, it is better than the tap water, but I dont like salt water hair so I rinse it in tap water.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk