Author Topic: Insulin Spike last thing  (Read 6508 times)

Offline sleepstalker

• Forager
    • View Profile
Insulin Spike last thing
« on: October 19, 2009, 08:20:05 pm »
Correct me if I am wrong if I eat something high in sugar say honey and eat some fat with it, Should I still get a insulin spike? Fat lowers the gi load right?

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Insulin Spike last thing
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 08:29:22 pm »
Fat makes simple carbs slower to absorb, but if you eat a lot of honey some spike could occur.
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline DeadRamones

• Bear Hunter
  • My boy eating!
    • View Profile
    • Acumen Athletics
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 04:51:11 am »
Most likely it will spike. Theory is since fat was ingested it would be slower. There are some dietitians that suggest eating the carb stuff at the end.

Offline sleepstalker

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 08:49:23 am »
Does increasing levels of IGF-1 increase insulin resistance or spike insulin levels?

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 09:54:16 am »
Correct me if I am wrong if I eat something high in sugar say honey and eat some fat with it, Should I still get a insulin spike? Fat lowers the gi load right?

My feeling is (raw) fat with a little (unheated) honey, is better than (raw) honey with some fat.  I eat the first way, my kid presently the latter.  The fats are good in the latter, but I still prefer the former.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline redfulcrum

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 07:58:01 am »
I wouldn't worry about the glycemic index.  What you do need to worry about is the amount of carbs you plan on taking in, not the response.  If you eat lower carb, you'll induce a lower response.  If you're gonna eat it in a meal, who cares.  It's all gonna get mixed up with fat and induce a low glycemic response anyways.  The whole glycemic index is worthless.  Who's gonna eat a meal of 5 slices of bread or 50 packets of sugar.  What they need to do is get the whole glycemic response after a WHOLE meal with all the foods in it, not parts of the meal.  A McDonald's Extra Large Value Meal with an extra large soda will definitely induce a greater response than half a chicken and a bottle of water because of the amount of carbs it has.  At least that's how I have it played in my head. 
Opening Pandora's boxes, one box at a time.

Offline roony

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 06:56:00 pm »
Fat makes simple carbs slower to absorb, but if you eat a lot of honey some spike could occur.

You need real potent fat, like suet & real fat chopped off organs, or you can take it with some freshly opened coconut meat, theyre both VERY effective at negating the insulin response, by releasing the sugars more slowly & some times none at all into your blood stream

If you want to ingest honey take it with the above, your body takes a surprisingly LONG time to recover from a few spoonfuls of honey, upto two days

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk