Author Topic: sashimi  (Read 22576 times)

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
sashimi
« on: August 11, 2008, 09:10:15 am »
I had it today for my birthday. I had about 6 different types of raw sea food! Six! Quite a variety for one meal I know. But the raw octopus and crab was the BEST!!!! Excellent texture!!!

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: sashimi
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 09:13:24 am »
mmmmmm that sounds good!
A great birthday meal indeed!

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 11:38:20 am »
Happy birthday!
I have never tried raw crab.

Aren't crabs filter feeders?  I'm usually wary about the cleanliness of filter feeders like oysters and mussels.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 02:22:48 pm »
I think the crab you get at sushi placers is usually cooked. Sashimi is definitely my restaurant RAF of choice!

Offline SilentBuddy

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 07:03:04 pm »
Happy birthday!!!

There are some items on sashimi plate that are not raw.  Octopus and crab are usually not raw.  If the octopus and crab looked like the ones in the picture below, they were not raw.  The crab meat in the picture is not even crab meat; it is fake crab meat (imitation crab meat, made of nasty stuff). Shrimp is not quite raw either. Squid is usually raw.

Imitation crab: http://ask.yahoo.com/20030110.html

« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 07:05:38 pm by SilentBuddy »

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 04:51:14 am »
Happy birthday!

Aren't crabs filter feeders?  I'm usually wary about the cleanliness of filter feeders like oysters and mussels.
maybe it wasn't crab, I'm not sure. there was alot of different meats. they were all raw!

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 04:52:40 am »
Happy birthday!!!

There are some items on sashimi plate that are not raw.  Octopus and crab are usually not raw.  If the octopus and crab looked like the ones in the picture below, they were not raw.  The crab meat in the picture is not even crab meat; it is fake crab meat (imitation crab meat, made of nasty stuff). Shrimp is not quite raw either. Squid is usually raw.

Imitation crab: http://ask.yahoo.com/20030110.html

I hope all i ate was raw...oh well nothing i can do now

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 04:53:25 am »
also had some fish eggs, i think they were salmon

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 05:17:00 am »
also had some fish eggs, i think they were salmon

I'm afraid almost all fish eggs are prepasteurised, unless they specifically say so(only exception is cod roe).
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 07:50:37 am »
I'm afraid almost all fish eggs are prepasteurised, unless they specifically say so(only exception is cod roe).
???next time i'll just order slices of raw salmon to be safe.....

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 01:51:05 pm »
When buying sashimi, the tuna, the salmon and the mackerel are raw. There are occasionally other types of fish which are also raw, but things like prawns or octopus are always cooked. I avoid the salmon, personally, as it's always farmed.

*I highly recommend raw swordfish or raw shark. They taste great - they're not available in sashimi restaurants, though, so you'll have to visit the local fishmongers' for those, I'm afraid, and prepare them yourself.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 12:14:39 am »
I've gotten tuna and salmon and tried to prepare it myself but it's never as good as the sashimi stuff. Maybe they use better cuts? I've had swordfish and that was pretty good, but tuna I think is my favorite.

Offline avalon

• Forum Clown
  • Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2008, 08:41:58 pm »
Sushi/Sashimi is my Nirvana! Yellow tail is my favorite and Salmon Roe, oh and Mackerel! Oh! and nearly everything else except Clam! I hate Raw Clam! It tastes like sea scum! Eckk Pew!

Satya

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2008, 09:14:38 pm »
Sushi/Sashimi is my Nirvana! Yellow tail is my favorite and Salmon Roe, oh and Mackerel! Oh! and nearly everything else except Clam! I hate Raw Clam! It tastes like sea scum! Eckk Pew!

Me too, Avalon!  Do you like oysters?  I don't think I have had raw clam, but once I had the most beautiful scallops in my sashimi dish.  They were raw, as I know the difference in taste, texture, look.

I picked up some white tuna, it's not yellowtail, but it's definitely tuna.  Anyone know about this in detail?

Offline avalon

• Forum Clown
  • Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2008, 06:17:10 am »
I love Oysters but haven't had any eating out in a while. I see them at Publix but I'm nervous. I've never tried white tuna, I don't think, so I am totally interested. When I was over at Wai Diet we talked about scallops and my market had some wild scallops that I bought and ate. I liked them. But I haven't had them since. I might again.

Anything simple to prepare gets a vote from me.

It's funny, if you spread some cocktail sauce over Sardines you get a very 'oyster' flavor. I mean cooked sorry. I haven't found any raw here where I live, but I'd try them if I did.

Satya

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2008, 06:31:42 am »
I love Oysters but haven't had any eating out in a while. I see them at Publix but I'm nervous. I've never tried white tuna, I don't think, so I am totally interested. When I was over at Wai Diet we talked about scallops and my market had some wild scallops that I bought and ate. I liked them. But I haven't had them since. I might again.

Anything simple to prepare gets a vote from me.

It's funny, if you spread some cocktail sauce over Sardines you get a very 'oyster' flavor. I mean cooked sorry. I haven't found any raw here where I live, but I'd try them if I did.

OMG, the white tuna was fatty and mild and dreamy and OMG!  Oh yum. 

Sardines in cocktail sauce as a pinch for oyster flavor.  Who knew?  I do eat some cooked food, about maybe 1/4 of my foods.  I try to eat all animal foods raw, but it doesn't always work out that way.  But hey, increasing the raw is making me feel so good, as is cutting down on the mega plant foods.

Offline avalon

• Forum Clown
  • Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2008, 10:57:35 am »
Where did you get white tuna? Tease!  :'(

Offline avalon

• Forum Clown
  • Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2008, 11:00:23 am »

Satya

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2008, 11:50:52 am »
Yes, that's it.  I got it from my Korean market.  It is sushi grade and frozen.  Not ideal, but with a fatty fish, it is most forgiving.  Besides, most deep sea fish is frozen on ship anyway.

Your picture is it.  The firm yet creamy nature of white tuna will linger with me off to bed now.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2008, 07:17:48 pm »
When buying sashimi, the tuna, the salmon and the mackerel are raw. There are occasionally other types of fish which are also raw, but things like prawns or octopus are always cooked. I avoid the salmon, personally, as it's always farmed.

*I highly recommend raw swordfish or raw shark. They taste great -
I'll keep that in mind.  ;) i did have some raw tuna, it was pretty good.

Offline Za

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2008, 11:49:49 pm »
Yes it's so sad but much of what we would like to be raw is not really.

Ikura (the salmon roe served in japanese restaurants) was my favorite food as a kid. I will still have it on occasion but I treat it like a special, and possibly detrimental treat, as I'm fairly certain it is pasteurized and highly salted.

Until recently, I would still indulge in yellowtail and tuna, especially white tuna when available (the best!!) sashimi at japanese restaurants, avoiding the salmon because in the US you can generally count on salmon beign genetically modified unless otherwise explicitly indicated. But now a friend has told me that all sashimi in the US is being irradiated!

I hope this is not true, haven't done my research, but do be aware of this sad possibility!

Which means I'll have to go back to eating dressing-less salads while watching my friends eat tempura and drink sake. Oy veh.

-Za

Satya

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2008, 11:29:13 pm »
Get this: Not only might some sashimi be cooked, some of it might be mislabeled in terms of what fish it is.  Great project these kids undertook.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/22/science/22fish.html
" In a tale of teenagers, sushi and science, Kate Stoeckle and Louisa Strauss, who graduated this year from the Trinity School in Manhattan, took on a freelance science project in which they checked 60 samples of seafood using a simplified genetic fingerprinting technique to see whether the fish New Yorkers buy is what they think they are getting.

"They found that one-fourth of the fish samples with identifiable DNA were mislabeled. A piece of sushi sold as the luxury treat white tuna turned out to be Mozambique tilapia, a much cheaper fish that is often raised by farming. Roe supposedly from flying fish was actually from smelt. Seven of nine samples that were called red snapper were mislabeled, and they turned out to be anything from Atlantic cod to Acadian redfish, an endangered species."

Offline avalon

• Forum Clown
  • Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2008, 11:36:31 pm »
OY!  :'(

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2009, 09:33:20 am »
    How do I get cod roe?  :)

I'd like to try raw crab.  I've eaten raw lobster and raw shrimp, very tasty, both! 8)

Happy birthday!

Aren't crabs filter feeders?  I'm usually wary about the cleanliness of filter feeders like oysters and mussels.  -X

I've eaten several kinds of raw oysters.  I like the less salty ones.  Check around to see which ones you might like.  Raw mussels are disgusting.  Maybe I just had bad luck, but I couldn't eat them, they were gross.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2009, 09:40:11 am »
    I've never had raw clam at a sashimi place.  At fish markets it's always  8) been good.

I was disappointed when I saw that not only US, but European sashimi salmon is farmed too :(

*I highly recommend raw swordfish or raw shark. They taste great - they're not available in sashimi restaurants, though, so you'll have to visit the local fishmongers' for those, I'm afraid, and prepare them yourself.

I lo-o-ove raw swordfish  :P  I tried raw shark, maybe it was the 'wrong' kind?  But I found the taste very disagreeable.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk