Author Topic: THE ORIGINAL ECONICHE OF THE GENUS HOMO: OPEN PLAIN OR WATERSIDE?  (Read 2257 times)

carnivore

That humans evolved as a result of a move  from forests  to more open plains  is still
the prevailing paradigm in anthropology, and researchers often assume that this transition
influenced  the origins of human bipedalism, omnivory,  tool use,  large brains,  and  even
speech.  Here,  we  argue  that  there  are  no  scientific  grounds  on  which  to  base  such  a
hypothesis.  While  we  agree  that  Homo  may  have  evolved  in  more  open  (tree-poor)
habitats than other apes (which could account for our relatively poor climbing skills), the
suggestion  that  humans  shifted  to  drier  habitats  away  from water  is,  according  to  our
research, unproven. We propose instead a more parsimonious model compatible with all
known data and corroborated by a number of independent sources of evidence. 
Comparisons of  the  locomotor  styles and nutritional  requirements of extant  species
and  anatomical  comparisons  of  fossil  and  extant  species  including  Homo  sapiens,
especially  in  combination with palaeoecological data,  strongly  suggest  that  early Homo
evolved  at  the  water’s  edge  (whether  in  savannahs  or  elsewhere)  where  resources
essential for brain growth were both abundant and easily procurable by a thick-enameled
tool-using omnivorous hominid.

http://users.ugent.be/~mvaneech/Verhaegen%20et%20al.%202007.%20Econiche%20of%20Homo.pdf

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: THE ORIGINAL ECONICHE OF THE GENUS HOMO: OPEN PLAIN OR WATERSIDE?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 04:10:37 am »
I do think it likely that hunter-gatherers in Palaeo times must have had a source of water nearby. Being next to water, at any rate, was essential for any settled Neolithic community to survive.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk