Author Topic: An Example Menu  (Read 10096 times)

Offline Fermenter Zym

• Bear Hunter
  • microcosm monkey, navigating inner-space.
    • View Profile
An Example Menu
« on: February 02, 2011, 01:22:09 am »
Hello can some of the more experienced Paleo dieters give me a run-down of what a weekly paleo menu would like? What do you eat/drink every day?

Thanks for your help.

.zym.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: An Example Menu
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 01:27:25 am »
*Copied from another reply*:-

"1) I usually have 1 large meal a day, eaten within a 4 hour period(though usually eaten in much less time than that). This meal consists of a large amount of raw (grassfed or wild) meats/organ-meats, plus some raw fruits - I am less bothered re organic status of fruits.

2) I also fast from time to time. I have anywhere from 0-3 whole day fasts each fortnight , depending on circumstances. I find that boosts my energy-levels and concentration.

3) I try to eat c.85-90 percent of my diet in the form of raw meats/organ-meats,  with the rest being usually raw fruits. But there are times when I can't find any decent sources of raw meats, where I might happily eat only raw fruits during that time.

I usually prefer raw wild game.

Here is a vague list of some of the sort of things I eat, the raw animal foods being either grassfed or wild:-

"wild hare carcasses/ leg of lamb/mutton plus lamb organs, venison organs, goose-/quail-/duck-/chicken-eggs, sea-urchin-eggs, swordfish, scallops,giant tiger prawns, lobster, crab,mussels, kingfish, mackerel,sprats, shark, beef organs, free-range turkey breast-fillets(whole goose and whole turkey at Christmas), wild boar muscle-meats/organs, horse-muscle-meat, wild stagmeat, heather honeycomb, samphire, blueberries, cherries, raspberries, bananas, wild mallard duck and organs, limpets, goat muscle-meat, wildcaught oysters, butterfish etc.

Organs would usually include tongue, liver, kidney, heart, plus, in some of the above cases, brains(rarely), suet(rarely) and marrow. Some items are only eaten by me  rarely or seasonally(eg:- eggs or sea-urchin-eggs))"
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Fermenter Zym

• Bear Hunter
  • microcosm monkey, navigating inner-space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 10:05:53 am »
Thanks for the help.

And you find you get enough fat in your diet that way? I was considering complimenting most of my raw meat meals with raw egg yolks.

I find I feel best when eating mostly fat.

Offline CHK91

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 11:33:19 am »
Well, today I ate the following. I make minor changes day by day.

Small meal at around noon: I eat 4 egg yolks, half an avocado, a carrot, tbsp of spirulina, 50-100g of organ

Large meal at around 6-7: About 150g raw fat(trimming, marrow, suet), a cucumber, 200g of lean muscle and/or organ.

You can buy raw fat trimmings, if you want a big source of fat. They are not that expensive since most people don't seem to ask for it that much.
All I want is the truth... Just gimme some truth.
"I wanna be the minority."

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 04:44:26 pm »
Thanks for the help.

And you find you get enough fat in your diet that way? I was considering complimenting most of my raw meat meals with raw egg yolks.

I find I feel best when eating mostly fat.
   Sure. I used to eat tons of raw fat in the form of raw marrow/tongue, but do that much less these days, as I don't feel the need.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: How many carbs to avoid rabbit starvation on raw paleo?
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 03:45:12 am »
   Sure. I used to eat tons of raw fat in the form of raw marrow/tongue, but do that much less these days, as I don't feel the need.

Eating considerably less fat means either you upped your fruit intake OR you reduced your body weight, right?

I wonder if I understand the compositon of your diet. I mean this 'rabbit starvation' thing is not such a big problem on raw diets as on cooked diets. Nevertheless, from my own experience I know that there is indeed a protein ceiling. I tried a low carb low fat high protein diet (which sounds like your current description) several times. Example: 2-3 Oranges (first meal) + 1-2 pounds of ultra lean venison. It never worked. Total energy intake was too low, digestion was in trouble (constipation).

You say you are eating "some fruits" and lean game meat... Hmm. One or two days are no problem, but doing this for weeks is impossible, IMO. I guess you FAT-LOAD every then and now, right? :-)

Löwenherz

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 07:43:12 am »
what is the big deal about rabbit starvation??  we are not going to wake one morning to find ourselves emaciated and wasted because we did not eat enough fat or carbs the day before.  if weight is being lost undesirably, then consider eating more of these fueling nutrients until you find the right balance for you.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 09:34:00 am »
Eating considerably less fat means either you upped your fruit intake OR you reduced your body weight, right?

I wonder if I understand the compositon of your diet. I mean this 'rabbit starvation' thing is not such a big problem on raw diets as on cooked diets. Nevertheless, from my own experience I know that there is indeed a protein ceiling. I tried a low carb low fat high protein diet (which sounds like your current description) several times. Example: 2-3 Oranges (first meal) + 1-2 pounds of ultra lean venison. It never worked. Total energy intake was too low, digestion was in trouble (constipation).

You say you are eating "some fruits" and lean game meat... Hmm. One or two days are no problem, but doing this for weeks is impossible, IMO. I guess you FAT-LOAD every then and now, right? :-)

Löwenherz

Not at all. I don't view rabbit-starvation as an issue unless I am on RZC. I know there are all these claims about a 100g of protein a day limits, but I don't believe in them given my own experience. I used to go in heavily for huge amounts of raw fats like raw marrow, but don't feel the need these days.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 02:47:48 am »
  Not at all. I don't view rabbit-starvation as an issue unless I am on RZC. I know there are all these claims about a 100g of protein a day limits, but I don't believe in them given my own experience. I used to go in heavily for huge amounts of raw fats like raw marrow, but don't feel the need these days.

Sounds like you have found a balanced protein, fat and carb - intake.

Löwenherz

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 02:57:26 am »
I have gone for long periods with very few carbs in the past(RVLC,  1 or 2 fruits a week max), and not eating all that much raw animal fat and did OK.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 03:19:23 am »
I have gone for long periods with very few carbs in the past(RVLC,  1 or 2 fruits a week max), and not eating all that much raw animal fat and did OK.

But nobody knows what "not eating all that much raw animal fat" means.

Do you think it is possible to eat (for example) for one weak only lean lobster and shrimps with only 1 or 2 non-tropical fruits in this week?

Löwenherz

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 03:41:07 am »
Yes. I have done that in the past for weeks at a time. I have found, again and again, that micromanaging my diet for things like too much protein/too little fat, calories etc. was a waste of time. I just vary my diet but follow some basic rules.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 03:47:50 am »
Yes. I have done that in the past for weeks at a time. I have found, again and again, that micromanaging my diet for things like too much protein/too little fat, calories etc. was a waste of time. I just vary my diet but follow some basic rules.

Really? Very interesting. I will try this soon...

Löwenherz

Offline FoxWoman

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 10:17:20 am »
Hi,

I have been experimenting with different types of pure and semi-paleo diets for over 5 years now to find a solution for my psoriasis, digestive issues, depression & anxiety. My skin, digestions and mood problems almost completely disappeared after 2 years of a low-carb (about 2 fruits a day) lacto-paleo diet with absolutely no grains and a fair amount of uncooked foods. Unfortunately, I then added some brown rice back to my diet and started cooking almost everything, and within two years all my problems returned. Now for about several months I have been back to what worked - strict low-carb lacto-paleo with about 50% to 75% raw foods. This is my typical daily menu:

Breakfast: I always eat a cooked breakfast. It is usually several sunny-side-up eggs and a tomato cooked in butter; bacon; and Turkish coffee.

Lunch: raw. AV-style smoothie (2 eggs, 1 avocado, juice of half lemon, and a spoon of unheated honey).

Snacks: raw. Raw aged cheese or home-made jerky. Whenever I am thirsty, I drink Appolinaris mineral water(very high in magnesium).

Dinner: depends. Usually, raw or lightly seared beef or bison steak, or fish sashimi plus a couple of raw egg yolks. A glass of red wine. Alternatively, my dinner could be lightly cooked seafood - -steamed crab or mussels, shrimps with butter and garlic, etc. I also eat several `century eggs`(raw `high`eggs from Asian markets) a week.

I don`t really like organ meats, either raw or cooked, so I am trying to compensate by eating the highest quality eggs (yolks) available and raw aged cheeses instead. Whenever I can afford it, I also eat caviar.

Before, I also experimented with a zero-carb approach for 6 months, and it was a disaster (constant fatigue, hair loss, heart palpitations, cramps, depression, etc.).

Another experiment was to cut out dairy completely - I stayed dairy-free for about 8 months - but did not observe any improvements. To the contrary, my skin became much drier, to a degree that my knuckles started bleeding, and I also developed a lot of (dry) dandruff on a dairy-free diet. Several months after re-introducing butter and raw-milk cheeses into my diet those conditions disappeared.

Hopefully, my experience is helpful.

Cheers,
FoxWoman

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk