Author Topic: fighting is paleo  (Read 9352 times)

Satya

fighting is paleo
« on: May 27, 2008, 07:56:24 am »
Whether it was with predators of another species or rival tribes, I think in group camaraderies and out group hostilities were very common and very necessary in paleo times (and we see remnants of them today in rival religions/political parties and such).  I also think minor injuries are a good thing on occasion, as they strengthen the body and replicate the conditions we used to live in.  Too cushy and we get soft!

How many of you know how to defend yourselves with your bare hands and/or weapons?  Do you train for such activity regularly to keep your refelxes sharp?  I think these are very important skills to know, whether or not we will ever need them.  Exuding confidence is 99% of the game.  If you were attacked by man or animal, how would you react?  I would turn and face an equal or leser opponent.  I might warn first or just counter depending on the situation, but I would certainly not fear.  Fear is the mind killer ...  If I faced a bear or worse, I would crouch or possibly run.  But the training is so important in order to know the difference and act nearly instinctually.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 08:09:39 am by Satya »

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
Re: fighting is paleo
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 07:21:34 pm »
Interesting topic because humans love to fight, there's no doubt about it!

I heard that West Papuan Tribes would fight for days on end without any casualties and hardly any injuries. Interesting.

I also know males who have never been in a fight or thrown a punch... I think (safe) fighting is very healthy when your younger, you know when to run and when to fight when the real thing happens.

Peace

Andrew

“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Satya

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 11:02:28 pm »
Interesting topic because humans love to fight, there's no doubt about it!

I heard that West Papuan Tribes would fight for days on end without any casualties and hardly any injuries. Interesting.

I also know males who have never been in a fight or thrown a punch... I think (safe) fighting is very healthy when your younger, you know when to run and when to fight when the real thing happens.

Andrew, fighting is fun, or it can be in a safe, fun kind of way.  Also the pressure points, joint locks and such from arts such as hapkido can be pretty effective at disabling an opponent without injuring them.  You just make it hurt really bad temporarily and they fall to the ground and let you go.

Namasté!

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 03:18:56 am »
I train fighting for fun. I walk around with sore ankles and cuts and bruises all the time and I don't think that will negatively affect my health. Maybe if I wasn't taking in the proper tissue rebuilding nutrients it would scar me up and wear down my joints, but I'm confident in my lifestyle to protect me from harm.

If someone attacked me without a weapon I would fight them, regardless of size. If they were really big I would just try and grab them and pull guard

Offline Justin

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 06:07:02 am »
Been in the martial arts since I was 7, training in different styles including boxing. Something I've always enjoyed, especially when learning new arts as it gives you the opportunity to learn and grow and to adapt. It's a trip to meet new people that come from different MA's and learn their offensive and defensive measures and in the process to find out more about yourself in those situations.  Very anaerobic and definitely keeps you on your toes, literally.  ;)
"You can train long or you can train hard, but you can't do both." -Arthur Jones.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 09:37:43 pm »
I practice martial arts. I also do many other kinds of exercises also. Which includes, weight training, isometrics, many forms of endurance training, going for extremely long walks etc.

xylothrill

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 11:07:45 am »
What is it that attracts martial artists to a RAF diet? I'd think the opposite - that they'd be attracted to veganism. Is it the desire to excel and find the "optimal" diet?

Craig

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 12:25:16 am »
What is it that attracts martial artists to a RAF diet? I'd think the opposite - that they'd be attracted to veganism. Is it the desire to excel and find the "optimal" diet?

Craig
I wanted the ultimate fuel for my workouts.  I was a vegan and then switched to a raw vegan, neither of the two gave me the energy I wanted. I found out about the paleo diet, and immediatly switched.  I have more energy and my body is much more efficient than before. I sure am glad I found out about the paleo diet when I'm young.  My diet is currently mostly raw meats, greens, roots, berries, some fruits.  I got into  veganism because I had a teacher at my school who was one.  Last time I seen him, he said he started doing a low fat diet.  Only if he knew. :-\

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk