Author Topic: Where to Find Organ Meats?  (Read 7949 times)

Offline ThatWasJustYourLife84

• Trapper
    • View Profile
Where to Find Organ Meats?
« on: October 31, 2010, 08:40:19 am »
Where can you find organ meats? I don't ever see them at grocery stores, and local meat butchers don't have them either.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Where to Find Organ Meats?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 08:43:34 am »
Buy direct from farms either via online farm websites(eg slanker's, northstar bison etc.) or  straight from the farm. Farmer's markets are also an option for most other countries, but I hear they are not as good in the US.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 08:49:35 am »
i can only find grass fed organ meats at farmer's markets. none at the grocery store. they're really cheap too.

Offline ThatWasJustYourLife84

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 08:50:33 am »
Sounds good.

I was wanting to try eating raw pancreas since I have some pancreatic function issues.

I am reactive hypoglycemic though and I fear eating pancreas since it contains insulin. I don't want to put more insulin in my blood because I already seem to make too much in response to a rise in blood glucose.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 08:53:28 am »
i can only find grass fed organ meats at farmer's markets. none at the grocery store. they're really cheap too.
That's strange. You are an Easterner, I think(?), and this is the 1st time I have not had an Easterner complain that local farmers' markets were extremely  lousy.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 09:01:17 am »
That's strange. You are an Easterner, I think(?), and this is the 1st time I have not had an Easterner complain that local farmers' markets were extremely  lousy.
nope, im from texas. austin to be exact. we have 3 pretty awesome farmer's markets. lots of grassfed meat vendors. maybe im just lucky.

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 09:16:02 am »
I think because so many US states have such stringent laws, and some areas don't have alot of traditional or eco farming. Here the markets carry quality raised stuff but they arn't allowed to sell unfrozen. In NYC area they can, but for some reason very few farms supply such things unless you develop a relationship with them, which yeah..is good to do. The easiest option of course for me  is mail order particularly if I am buying frozen anyway. Occasionally I've bought a big ole 3.5 lb heart locally but I get mostly everything shipped.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 09:18:58 am »
I'm in NY and have a gem of a market myself now TD. It's got my grassfed farmer, a fresh fishmonger, 2 organic farmers with beautiful produce, a apiarist with fresh semi-raw honey (centrifuge), a dairy with many raw cheeses (goat and cow), and then a number of other less interesting stands (fresh bread, frozen juice bars, homemade pickles, jams). It's also set up right outside a very nice plant nursery. They're few and far between but good farmer's markets can be found on the east coast. :)
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 11:28:31 am »
I think because so many US states have such stringent laws, and some areas don't have alot of traditional or eco farming. Here the markets carry quality raised stuff but they arn't allowed to sell unfrozen. In NYC area they can, but for some reason very few farms supply such things unless you develop a relationship with them, which yeah..is good to do. The easiest option of course for me  is mail order particularly if I am buying frozen anyway. Occasionally I've bought a big ole 3.5 lb heart locally but I get mostly everything shipped.
can u provide me the info. i do live in NYC? thanks
bugs or country chickens

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 12:05:10 pm »
can u provide me the info. i do live in NYC? thanks
Well I'm in NE area now. In terms of the Union Square Market, there are a number of places with 100% grass-fed beef with at least one of them supplying fresh unfrozen beef. In the past I could get things like pancreas and lamb offal, as well as excellent all-pastured raw pork too. I never found the seafood to be too spectacular and was way overpriced compared to regular fish-markets. No wild foods or anything fancy like that. In that respect I would agree that the markets offer very little that is drastically different than WF or a similar store. The fruit and veg particularly suck usually in the North East markets as far as being organic - despite organic growers being found around.I would recommend hooking up with the NYC paleo meetup on meetup.com (perhaps other locales have these if people are interested) as from what i've heard many folks there go in on farm orders or bulk game meats.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 02:38:00 am »
There is grass fed beef at a farmers market here. Heart, tongue, kidneys, liver.

Only grass fed liver in the stores.

Brain, tongue etc. grain fed in a certain store, but I don't buy it because it's grain fed beef.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 07:09:37 am »
Some ethnic stores pride themselves on being able to serve quality meats. I get my meat from a Mediterranean restaurant that gets its meat from a local farm, its all pasture raised. They will give me the lamb bones and fat trimmings for free. They don't sell organs out of the restaurant, but they told me about a Mediterranean shop that gets its meats from the same supplyer and they have lamb and goat heart, kidneys,livers. I know that not all ethnic stores carry the gourmet meat I am fond of, but they may have some more 'kosher' organs than your supperstore(use your own investigation skills when scoping out the markets, AND BUYER BEWARE)
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk