Author Topic: Question About Cultured Butter  (Read 3151 times)

Offline Amris

• Egg Thief
  • Rising From the Ashes
    • View Profile
Question About Cultured Butter
« on: May 31, 2011, 04:11:01 am »
Strange question here. I can get cultured butter, but not raw buttermilk the cultured butter is made from. Can I just add some of the butter to a bit of milk to get the cultures, or do I need to buy it or something??
The thought manifests as the word; The word manifests as the deed; The deed develops into habit; And habit hardens into character; So watch the thought and its ways with care, And let it spring from love Born out of concern for all beings...

As the shadow follows the body, as we think, so we become.

The Dhammapada

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
Re: Question About Cultured Butter
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 04:53:33 am »
    Let milk sit a day or so until separated (top cream layer from bottom skim).  Take cream and let that sit twelve hours unrefrigerated.  Make butter.  The buttermilk is what comes off that.  Depending on what kind of cow it comes from, the butter and buttermilk comes out different.  Why won't your butter source give you raw buttermilk?  Is their cultured butter raw?
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline Amris

• Egg Thief
  • Rising From the Ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 05:45:50 am »
I get the raw butter at the store. Our local dairy only sells pasteurized butter.

They can sell raw butter here in stores, but not raw milk or buttermilk.

Strange laws is why, lol.

Can only sell a few certain kinds of raw cheeses, too... they have to be aged 6 months.
The thought manifests as the word; The word manifests as the deed; The deed develops into habit; And habit hardens into character; So watch the thought and its ways with care, And let it spring from love Born out of concern for all beings...

The Dhammapada

CitrusHigh

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 08:18:54 am »
Are you sure the butter is raw? I'm only asking because it would be really bizarre (though that is the nature of such laws!) to allow raw butter but not fresh raw cheese. Cultured butter is not the same as raw butter in case you're using the two terms interchangeably. If that's not the case then disregard what I've said. I'm sure you know what's what, I'm just trying to make sense of it myself.

Offline Amris

• Egg Thief
  • Rising From the Ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 11:24:43 pm »
It's cultured butter made from unpasteurized cream and not heated during processing. I assume that makes it raw??

And yes, it's a strange law. It's New Hampshire... on the one hand, it's "live free or die" and on the other hand it's, "so long as we control some of what you do, depending on what our pet peeve is this time".  l)

The Dhammapada

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk