Author Topic: Losing too much body fat/weight?  (Read 75831 times)

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Losing too much body fat/weight?
« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2010, 02:54:35 am »
hairy armpits are indeed very paleo :)
yes, woman do not shave! hair, hair is good, if it grow leave it

shaving makes the hair rough!

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2010, 02:58:46 am »
@wolf you new pic look better, just need a bit more muscle, but better

raw's advice was good, eat healthy, and exercise and you will look how nature intended

your looking good, work towards a healthy antural goal ;)

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 21, 2010, 03:04:44 am »
yes, woman do not shave! hair, hair is good, if it grow leave it

shaving makes the hair rough!

I know I know, but no matter how paleo I think women are hotter with underarms shaved, hotness comes first then paleo'eness lol

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2010, 04:09:41 am »
ew my new pics don't look good at all, i look so anorexic and boney and gross in them, plus my breasts are so small, I like how i looked in my old pics better.  I've hardly eaten in 4 days, you like anorexic looking?

And I don't get told I'm too skinny by jealous girls, but by concerned family members of both genders, as well as the guy I've been talking to always calls me anorexic all the time and that I need to gain weight. 
Ribs showing, to me, looks underfed.  I also hate it when you can see the ribcage in the chest, like a lot of times in movie stars and models and such who all starve themselves to look good, and you can see the lines of their ribs in their chest, it looks gross to me.
I want to look well-fed and healthy, not scrawny.
Hi, I'm 32, around 5'4" and ~124lb, no real significant health problems other than hyperventilating when running/exercising (that my doc said was because of the smog/asthma), fatigue, and really bad acne.
I'd preferably be a carnivore/very low carb, but I have had a very hard time finding grass-fed or even organic fats, organs, and marrow. I consume raw dairy, but I do not eat much vegetables.. however, I do love fruit.
I live with my dad, so I also have to sneak any raw meat eating.

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 21, 2010, 04:34:42 am »
I agree it's important to be happy with your own looks, if you think you are too skinny then just eat more calories and more carbs like fruit and you will gain some weight soon enough, you should exercise too and you will stay toned while you gain weight which will look really good too.

About the rib thing, I think it is natural, in most healthy carnivores and omnivores you can see ribs, healthy dogs always have some ribs showing, I love seeing defined muscles with bones on both men and women I think its hot...I guess its up to personal taste, I love my boobs small ( because when in nude my boobs don't sag at all but look youthful and perky ), I also feel healthy at my weight though (I am stronger and more energetic then women much larger then me, skinnyness has nothing to do with strength and fitness). I never starve myself, eat whenever I am hungry and never ever count calories or fat. Also I am Russian and all my family too, I find Russian girls in general to have smaller boobs and be on the skinny side compared to American girls (at least when I lived in Russia could be different now), so it could be genetics or maybe hormones I don't know. I only get positive feedback from guys that I know by the way, both older and younger guys always hit on me to the point I am avoiding some of them, the only family members that say I am too skinny are my gandparents (who are chubby), my parents think I look great.

Only thing thats fat and bubbly on me is my ass and thats the way I like it  ;D ( if a girl is so skinny that she has no ass - THEN I will say that she is too skinny lol! ) Thats how you know a girls is anorexic, when she has no upper-inner thigh fat and no ass fat!

Offline pioneer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2010, 04:50:06 am »
Wolf, Yuli, you guys look great. Wolf, I had the same problem initially. I had to up my meat intake to two lbs a day, and I know it is not very paleo, but I ate a dozen eggs a day. That helped a lot. I am currently stuck at 170lbs now and want to gain weight as well. It is a struggle for me, especially in college. I will keep you updated on my results. Ideally, I want to gain 10lbs lean. But I will agree, it is harder to gain weight on this diet if you dont eat enough meat.

Also guys, remember, not that I really go by calories, but fat is not really that calorie dense. We piss out half of the calories. Yep, scientists found that in urine, there are 5kcal of ketones (i.e. fat). So depending on how you are using energy, you could be pissing out half the calories in fat. Now does this mean fat is not nutrient dense? No, the whole calorie thing always annoys me. Calories is not how the body actually utilizes food an a cellular level.

Oh, and I recently ate an entire duck. It was the first time I ever had duck and I have to say it was the nastiest thing ever. I love raw beef and chicken, but duck just puts me off. The fat texture is horrible IMO. I like to eat less mushy fat, almost harder in texture, or somewhere in between.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

"There is a lot of pressure to be sexualized but not to actually be sexual."
- women's health member

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 21, 2010, 05:02:49 am »
Eating any raw bird puts me off, even the way their meat looks, it looks like something I'd eat as a last resort when I am starving  -v ...so I am just sticking to hoofed animals and fish. I have yet to try raw shrimps but I think I will like them...how safe are the raw frozen shrimp? I don't know where to get organic shrimp only the supermarket and fishmarket ones.

Oh and thanks for the compliment!

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 21, 2010, 08:14:56 am »
I am overly thin like Wolf and Yuli so I empathize with you. I think it may be more important for gals to have some meat on their bones than guys, because gals are more prone to osteoporosis when super-thin and it's also important to have some body fat if you want to have children some day.

Wolf, I try to avoid diagnosing, prescribing or promising cures, but I thought I would just throw some thoughts out, and see if any register with you. Hyperventilation involves insufficient oxygen, of course. Refined carbs deplete oxygen, whereas animal/fish fats boost oxygen. Acne has been connected to insulin resistance, processed carbs and the nonfat fraction of non-fermented milk (possibly due to IGF-1, estrogens, and whey proteins), whereas dairy fat and fermented dairy products like cheese were not strongly associated with acne. Painful menstrual cramps (and it sounds like you may have some anxiety too, perhaps exacerbated by your mother's worrying?) and anxiety are also associated with carbs, particularly wheat and refined carbs. Underweight and all your other symptoms are also suggestive of gut dysbiosis (insufficient healthy gut bacteria and possible damage to your intestinal lining). The foods you're eating are not nourishing of gut flora and I've found it difficult myself to restore healthy gut function.

Dairy is particularly a problem when combined with wheat and other plant foods that are high in lectins or other antinutrients that human beings don't have the enzymes to break down properly (such as other grains, legumes and nightshades). Some antinutrients like lectins in grains and legumes and saponins in nightshades promote gut permeability, which allows undigested protein fractions from both these plants and from dairy products to pass through the gut lining, enter the bloodstream, and travel to the various organs of the body, including the brain where they are small enough to penetrate the blood-brain barrier and cause mental fog, anxiety and a host of other problems. As you seem to know, pizza is one of the worst possible foods for all your symptoms and for all of humanity. It whacks you with a sextuple whammy of high heat cooking, wheat, refined carbs, pasteurized processed cheese, likely linoleic acid (fat rich in nasty omega-6 and probably trans fats), and a nightshade-based sauce (tomato sauce). I recommend getting a job elsewhere ASAP. In the meantime can you trade the pizzas with friends for something else? Pretty much everyone likes pizza. So if you know someone at a burger joint or steak and seafood place you could trade your free pizza for some frozen bunless burgers or a petit steak or a salad with hard-boiled eggs or a fish filet or even a potato or rice. Just about anything would be better than pizza. If you're going to eat rice, why not add gluten-free beef gravy (you could add herbs and veggies) instead of soy sauce--or at least gluten-free soy sauce. Never underestimate the power of gluten and wheat in general to damage. I've heard quite a few people tell me that wheat doesn't bother them only to discover months or years down the road that it does.

I hope that gives you enough to chew on for now.

One tip that I've found helps a bit to avoid too much oxygen depletion (and resulting fatigue and yawning) when I eat carbs is to eat lots and lots of oxygen-generating animal fats with them. My guess is that fats are more oxygen-enriching when raw.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 21, 2010, 08:23:47 am »
and Yuli

............................................________........................
....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,..................
.............................,.-”...................................“-.,............
.........................,/...............................................”:,........
.....................,?......................................................\,.....
.................../...........................................................,}....
................./......................................................,:`^`..}....
.............../...................................................,:”........./.....
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../.....
............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../........
.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/...........
..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}...........
...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../............
...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../.............
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”...............
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\...................
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__...........
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,....
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\........................
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\.......................
................................`:,,...........................`\..............__..
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``.......
........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\...............
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\..............
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 21, 2010, 08:43:44 am »
I think it may be more important for gals to have some meat on their bones than guys, because gals are more prone to osteoporosis when super-thin and it's also important to have some body fat if you want to have children some day.
Really??? I have already been pregnant twice (by accident) and had to terminate the pregnancies in its very early stages (this was before I realized about the morning after pill  l)), I was very thin both times I got pregnant...so no problems getting pregnant as a skinny chick!!! I am now afraid to have sex cause I get pregnant so easily.

Regarding osteoporosis, I have had accidents many times where I should have broken a bone but nothing broke, actually I am a klutz yet have never broken a bone in my life. When I was young I dropped a weight on my nose at the school gym when doing bench press and passed out because of the impact, but my nose didn't break. I can run for a long time without feeling any pain in my bones, never had joint pain. 2 years ago I jumped into a jagged rock when I was super-duper drunk and it went into the side of my big toe to the point you could almost see the bone, my foot was so swollen I could not wear any shoes, yet nothing broke (it took a half a year for my toe to heal completely after that, now its like a rock again). I have super hard bones! I think some people have a certain body type/build due to genetics, and I am proof that very thin women can have healthy bones and get pregnant easily.
I will show you a pic of my teeth when I have time and you can judge how healthy my bones are, I haven't been to the dentist since I was 8 years old, they are pearly white and rock-hard, no cavities ever, I have all my wisdom teeth too.

I think girls are more prone to osteoporosis because of lack of exercise and muscle, bad diet - not because they are thin. Many chubby women have bone problems.

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 21, 2010, 08:48:48 am »
@miles, what the hell is that? looks like an alien holding the side of his head lol...

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 21, 2010, 08:53:34 am »
Picard facepalm and http://i34.tinypic.com/2vae5fr.png or even http://www.straferight.com/photopost/data/500/double-facepalm.jpg

And Wolf/Phil: I don't know about the US, but in the UK most burgers contain wheat, as well as salt and other ingredients.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 09:04:22 am by miles »
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #87 on: September 21, 2010, 09:02:32 am »
I see, you haven't been on raw paleo long enough.
And now there's the economic thing being forced on wheat based foods.
Plus the illness.

If I connect the dots, I'd bet on TYLENOL every month you are taking every month.

Think about your liver getting hit every time you take Tylenol.  And it is cumulative.  That goes for every single drug in the market out there.

There are drug free solutions to your menstrual cramps.

Drugs are just so so so so bad.

Try to be chemical free on your body and your face. Every single day. No make up, no deodorants, no sunblock, no lotions.  Those are all chemicals / pollutants.

I think working out is counter productive in this case.  This may be a time to rest and feed yourself more frequently.  Not those 1 meal a day things.  Probably 5 or more a day.  Check your digestion of course.  If you were on full raw food, that's easy bcuz it's easy to digest.

I bet your dad will listen to a cooked version of the paleo diet. So at least he will buy good food.

Acne is merely detox through your face in your case.

Try my eczema cure website and you will probably clear up fast.

Hm, I started about over a month ago, maybe about a month and a half to two months by now, I'm not sure, I'm bad at keeping track of time.  But I haven't been eating 100% raw, I recently had to buy new brakes and rotors for my car for $500 and at tabout:home.he same time have been getting less hours at work, so making a lot less money.  I've been really broke, so I ended up eating some pizza which I can get free at work, and frozen dinners I can eat for free because my dad buys them.. so my diet has been rather crazy lately.  But my weight was fine when I was eating enough, even when 100% raw, it's just that lately I haven't been eating a lot and then now I got sick and hardly eating at all for about 4 days, so I've lost a bit more weight.  Also been going home from work early because of being sick, so I'll probably get yet another small paycheck.  I just need to get back to eating more raw foods, and I should gain the weight back.  I just need to start making more money, because if I don't have money for food, then the only alternative is to eat free pizza and frozen dinners and whatever fast food my dad might buy and bring home for me.. or well, actually I just remembered there's a bunch of white rice I can make too actually, but I only like to eat rice if doused and soaking in soy sauce, so I don't know how much better that would be for me than the other stuff.  And it's all still commercial stuff, too, nothing organic or anything.  Best non-raw food I could probably make for myself is some toast on commercial sara lee whole wheat bread with some skippy peanut butter and knott's jelly.  chock full of all the bad stuff anyways, of course.  Unless I want to live entirely on a little fruit and some raw eggs, which are the only raw foods I can convince my dad to buy for me, though he doesn't know I eat the eggs raw, and he also doesn't buy much fruit or eggs at once, and only goes shopping like every few weeks..

But yeah, I read up a lot on that Wai diet because I have really bad acne (I even still get acne while eating 100% raw foods, for 2 weeks I ate 100% raw straight but still got acne) and according to it I should keep my protein intake to a minimum.  Raw meat has never been "icky" to me though, one of the main reasons I'm even trying to do this diet is because I've just always loved eating raw meat, I was just afraid of getting "sick" like everyone told me I would if I ate raw meat, but this site has shown me how wrong that is.  I only found out that this diet could get rid of my acne after I decided I wanted to do it, and then that became my main priority.

I would however, of course, love to eat a diet as close to that of a Wolf's as possible.  =]
Unfortunately I can't get any raw deer meat or anything to try, and such, and I can't afford a bunch of grass-fed beef steaks, and I can't find grass-fed fat or grass-fed marrow bones or grass-fed liver, so yeah.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 09:25:22 am by goodsamaritan »
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 21, 2010, 11:24:54 am »
@Miles: I know Yuli doesn't agree with me on her being "overly thin" and if she or anyone else wants to suggest a different term that will be more acceptable and still enable discussion, feel free. By including myself in the comment I tried to show I meant no harm, and Yuli seems to feel quite good about herself so I didn't think there would be any harm taken, but if so, then I apologize.

I kinda thought that one of the few benefits of being skinny and being open about it was I could talk frankly with other slim folks about the subject (you know, kinda like Oprah does about overweight--though I know I'm not as warm and fuzzy as Oprah), but guess I overstepped my mark.

Really??? I have already been pregnant twice (by accident) and had to terminate the pregnancies in its very early stages (this was before I realized about the morning after pill  l)), I was very thin both times I got pregnant...so no problems getting pregnant as a skinny chick!!! I am now afraid to have sex cause I get pregnant so easily.
I should have been more clear--I meant that it's my understanding that a certain amount of healthy body fat in women is generally regarded as beneficial in terms of both reproductive and general health by both most scientists and all the traditional peoples of the world, not that it's an absolute necessity in order to get pregnant. I'm talking about overall robustness, rather than absolutes, and not just re: pregnancy. If you're interested in more info on it, let me know. If not, that's fine too, and of course I and the scientists and the traditional peoples could all be wrong and there's also an exception to every rule. On the other hand, sharing and considering information can be beneficial at times.

Regarding osteoporosis, I have had accidents many times where I should have broken a bone but nothing broke, ....
It's comforting to know that you're doing so well, and perhaps your youthful and innocent-looking countenance brought out the concerned father in me and I'm just overreacting to your images. However, aren't you rather young yet for any obvious symptoms of low bone mineral density to appear? Besides, I wasn't trying to imply that you have it already, just discussing that a safety margin of healthy fat in the context of robust health has been connected to lower risk of future development of low bone mineral density and osteoporosis. This happens to be an issue of particular interest for me, because I looked into it before at the request of a female family member who, like me, is very thin (plus I just received another lecture myself from my best friend on the need for me to put on some weight, :D which as usual I agreed with--but easier said than done :D ).

I can run for a long time without feeling any pain in my bones, never had joint pain. I have super hard bones!
That's excellent--exercise is useful in lowering the risk for both low BMD and sarcopenia in later years. How strong are your connective tissues like your ligaments? If you have no lax joints, that's another good sign.

I think some people have a certain body type/build due to genetics....
Yes, and I believe that's true in my case as well, but I also think that it's generally beneficial even for people like me who are genetically thin to add on at least some muscle if not also healthy fat depots (with the science and tradition suggesting that the former is more important, and the latter less important, in males). I can further explain and support what I mean if you're interested.

I will show you a pic of my teeth when I have time and you can judge how healthy my bones are, I haven't been to the dentist since I was 8 years old, they are pearly white and rock-hard, no cavities ever, I have all my wisdom teeth too.
I believe you, and that's comforting as well, thank you.

I think girls are more prone to osteoporosis because of lack of exercise and muscle, bad diet - not because they are thin. Many chubby women have bone problems.
If I recall correctly, the information I found suggested otherwise. I can check for what I saved on it and further explain it if you like, but I don't wish to step on toes.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 11:39:45 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 21, 2010, 11:26:09 am »
Picard facepalm and http://i34.tinypic.com/2vae5fr.png or even http://www.straferight.com/photopost/data/500/double-facepalm.jpg

And Wolf/Phil: I don't know about the US, but in the UK most burgers contain wheat, as well as salt and other ingredients.
In this country burger patties contain much less wheat than pizzas. :D Between the two I'd take the frozen burger patties, wouldn't you? Besides, I sometimes add sea salt to my food, so you're talking to the wrong person. ;)

This diet definitely presents some difficulties when one is living under someone else's roof and/or doesn't have money to burn. It's one reason I'm less fond of extended stays at other people's homes now.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 11:35:17 am by PaleoPhil »

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 21, 2010, 12:24:46 pm »
I know I know, but no matter how paleo I think women are hotter with underarms shaved, hotness comes first then paleo'eness lol
Paleoness is hotness, all natural woman are beautiful!

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 21, 2010, 01:11:38 pm »
So uhh yuli, wolf...
Which one of you wants to meet me back in my cave? O0
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 21, 2010, 03:46:33 pm »
@ sully : I know I like natural too, but I also adore smooth skin on certain parts  :P just my personal taste...

@ kurite : Depends, does your cave have hot springs in its front yard? and is it spacious and airy??

@ darcyhayden : huh? yeah thats what I need, an EPHEDRINE fat burner! so I can finally become 2 dimensional! My lifelong dream coming true!

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #93 on: September 21, 2010, 07:56:30 pm »
@ darcyhayden : huh? yeah thats what I need, an EPHEDRINE fat burner! so I can finally become 2 dimensional! My lifelong dream coming true!
It was spam. They're gone now. :)
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 21, 2010, 08:09:05 pm »
I agree it's important to be happy with your own looks, if you think you are too skinny then just eat more calories and more carbs like fruit and you will gain some weight soon enough, you should exercise too and you will stay toned while you gain weight which will look really good too.

About the rib thing, I think it is natural, in most healthy carnivores and omnivores you can see ribs, healthy dogs always have some ribs showing, I love seeing defined muscles with bones on both men and women I think its hot...I guess its up to personal taste, I love my boobs small ( because when in nude my boobs don't sag at all but look youthful and perky ), I also feel healthy at my weight though (I am stronger and more energetic then women much larger then me, skinnyness has nothing to do with strength and fitness). I never starve myself, eat whenever I am hungry and never ever count calories or fat. Also I am Russian and all my family too, I find Russian girls in general to have smaller boobs and be on the skinny side compared to American girls (at least when I lived in Russia could be different now), so it could be genetics or maybe hormones I don't know. I only get positive feedback from guys that I know by the way, both older and younger guys always hit on me to the point I am avoiding some of them, the only family members that say I am too skinny are my gandparents (who are chubby), my parents think I look great.

Only thing thats fat and bubbly on me is my ass and thats the way I like it  ;D ( if a girl is so skinny that she has no ass - THEN I will say that she is too skinny lol! ) Thats how you know a girls is anorexic, when she has no upper-inner thigh fat and no ass fat!

I want to try to eat more calories, but it's a bit difficult because I've been making less money at work and I had to spend $500 on new brakes and rotors for my car, so I can't afford as much food right now.  Once I start making more money, hopefully, then I should be able to add more food into my diet and hopefully gain some weight back, and hopefully I can convince my dad to buy me enough fruit for me to eat some everyday.  I do exercise everyday though to try and keep toned, but it's hard when too strenuous of activity like jogging or running up and down stairs makes you hyperventilate, and you also don't have any weights or equipment to do weight training with.

And I don't want my boobs big enough to sag, they don't sag at all right now, I just want to add a nice layer of fat one them and fill them out a bit more.. they're so flat and small, I just want to round them out a bit more.

And my thighs have always been the fattest part on me, and my butt is fine too, even after I lost so much fat weight I'm glad I don't have to worry as much about my butt didn't flatten out, lol.  But my thighs did get a lot skinnier, and none of my pants fit me anymore.
Hi, I'm 32, around 5'4" and ~124lb, no real significant health problems other than hyperventilating when running/exercising (that my doc said was because of the smog/asthma), fatigue, and really bad acne.
I'd preferably be a carnivore/very low carb, but I have had a very hard time finding grass-fed or even organic fats, organs, and marrow. I consume raw dairy, but I do not eat much vegetables.. however, I do love fruit.

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 21, 2010, 08:21:05 pm »
Wolf, Yuli, you guys look great. Wolf, I had the same problem initially. I had to up my meat intake to two lbs a day, and I know it is not very paleo, but I ate a dozen eggs a day. That helped a lot. I am currently stuck at 170lbs now and want to gain weight as well. It is a struggle for me, especially in college. I will keep you updated on my results. Ideally, I want to gain 10lbs lean. But I will agree, it is harder to gain weight on this diet if you dont eat enough meat.

Also guys, remember, not that I really go by calories, but fat is not really that calorie dense. We piss out half of the calories. Yep, scientists found that in urine, there are 5kcal of ketones (i.e. fat). So depending on how you are using energy, you could be pissing out half the calories in fat. Now does this mean fat is not nutrient dense? No, the whole calorie thing always annoys me. Calories is not how the body actually utilizes food an a cellular level.

Well, after reading about the Wai diet and how too much protein seems to be a cause for acne, I've actually been trying to keep my meat intake lower to see if that helps with my bad acne.  As much as I'd like to eat 2 lbs of meat a day, I want to avoid that for now and see how that affects my acne.  Right now I'm trying to stay at 8oz of ground beef(85/15) and two egg yolks a day for my protein intake(and also to save money).  Plus I think the carbs/sugar in fruit would be more effective in gaining weight than meat and fat.  That's interesting that most of the fat doesn't get stored though, I was going to use a bunch of fat as my staple source of calories with my eating less meat and egg yolks, and then hoping that adding fruit to my diet everyday on top of that would help me to gain weight back.

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 21, 2010, 10:06:40 pm »
Wolf, I try to avoid diagnosing, prescribing or promising cures, but I thought I would just throw some thoughts out, and see if any register with you. Hyperventilation involves insufficient oxygen, of course. Refined carbs deplete oxygen, whereas animal/fish fats boost oxygen. Acne has been connected to insulin resistance, processed carbs and the nonfat fraction of non-fermented milk (possibly due to IGF-1, estrogens, and whey proteins), whereas dairy fat and fermented dairy products like cheese were not strongly associated with acne. Painful menstrual cramps (and it sounds like you may have some anxiety too, perhaps exacerbated by your mother's worrying?) and anxiety are also associated with carbs, particularly wheat and refined carbs. Underweight and all your other symptoms are also suggestive of gut dysbiosis (insufficient healthy gut bacteria and possible damage to your intestinal lining). The foods you're eating are not nourishing of gut flora and I've found it difficult myself to restore healthy gut function.

Dairy is particularly a problem when combined with wheat and other plant foods that are high in lectins or other antinutrients that human beings don't have the enzymes to break down properly (such as other grains, legumes and nightshades). Some antinutrients like lectins in grains and legumes and saponins in nightshades promote gut permeability, which allows undigested protein fractions from both these plants and from dairy products to pass through the gut lining, enter the bloodstream, and travel to the various organs of the body, including the brain where they are small enough to penetrate the blood-brain barrier and cause mental fog, anxiety and a host of other problems. As you seem to know, pizza is one of the worst possible foods for all your symptoms and for all of humanity. It whacks you with a sextuple whammy of high heat cooking, wheat, refined carbs, pasteurized processed cheese, likely linoleic acid (fat rich in nasty omega-6 and probably trans fats), and a nightshade-based sauce (tomato sauce). I recommend getting a job elsewhere ASAP. In the meantime can you trade the pizzas with friends for something else? Pretty much everyone likes pizza. So if you know someone at a burger joint or steak and seafood place you could trade your free pizza for some frozen bunless burgers or a petit steak or a salad with hard-boiled eggs or a fish filet or even a potato or rice. Just about anything would be better than pizza. If you're going to eat rice, why not add gluten-free beef gravy (you could add herbs and veggies) instead of soy sauce--or at least gluten-free soy sauce. Never underestimate the power of gluten and wheat in general to damage. I've heard quite a few people tell me that wheat doesn't bother them only to discover months or years down the road that it does.

I hope that gives you enough to chew on for now.

One tip that I've found helps a bit to avoid too much oxygen depletion (and resulting fatigue and yawning) when I eat carbs is to eat lots and lots of oxygen-generating animal fats with them. My guess is that fats are more oxygen-enriching when raw.

I seem to be doing better on the whole hyperventilation thing after having been eating raw meat and much less grains now, but I still get it.  Way back in middle school when my parents took me to my doctor to find out why I hyperventilate when I run, the doctor said it was because of the smog.  And it really does get really really badly smoggy here, and I do notice that my hyperventilation seems to get much worse on much smoggier days.  Also, one time when I went up to the mountains and I was for once in clean crisp cool air with no smog at all, and I ran, it was so much more refreshing than usual.. When I run normally, and begin to hyperventilate, I feel bad, and if I push myself, then I start to even feel sick and horrible.  But when I ran up in the mountains, I still ran out of breath quickly, because I never run so I'm not used to it, but unlike when I normally ran, I felt invigorated and amazing, it actually felt good.  I felt that if I lived up there, that I could go running everyday and actually love it, whereas I normally hate to run.  So I think the smog is a majority of the problem, while the rest of the problem mostly seems to be the fact that I never run and I normally breathe shallow, so my lung capacity is very small.. which could probably be partially helped by diet, but would probably better be helped if I exercised more.

As far as acne, I've heard so many different causes and reasons for it by now, that really I think that there isn't just one specific cause for acne, but that most people all have completely different reasons for breaking out.  I went 2 weeks on completely 100% raw with no cheats whatsoever, not even a lick of anything even suspected as non raw, and still got acne, so I don't see how it could just be toxins.  I got rid of fruit, and still got acne, so I don't see how it could be sugar, I got rid of dairy, and still got acne, so I don't see how it could be whatever's in dairy.  I've now lowered my intake of protein, and still get acne, though it seems to be better now and I'm thinking a Wai diet might help.  But, I hadn't even eaten anything other than raw cheese and raw butter for the passed 2 days, and not a lot of it either, mind you, with just 4 ounces of raw meat that I ate yesterday, and woke up today with like 3 new zits, though small ones.  However, if the Wai diet's way is right, then the zits could have been caused by my sudden increase in intake of salt from the cheese, though I can't find any unsalted raw cheese.. I don't think I can even find any unsalted regular cheese, let alone unsalted raw cheese.  But I only ate the dairy because lately I've had stomach pains accompanied with diarrhea which I think may have been some sort of food poisoning, which eating anything seemed to worsen it, so I decided to try raw dairy as a probiotic, and it seems to have helped a lot.  Otherwise I haven't been consuming dairy for a while(other than the few times I eat pizza, but that's just a whole host of problems in itself, like you said). 
Also, when I was on my 2 weeks of 100% purely raw, I still had bad cramps when I started my period.  I don't really have anxiety, I don't live with my mom anymore either so her worrying isn't much of a problem anymore, but I never let it bother me anyways really.  I'm pretty care-free and lazy and don't like to stress over things, both my parents have rather stressful lives and I see what the stress does to them, and so I do my best not to let anything stress me out or do anything that will stress me out.  I'm not sure about how my gut is though, I've never seemed to have any problems whatsoever with my gut even when eating a completely SAD diet, so I've always believed myself to have a supreme and superior digestive tract.  I could be wrong though of course.

And yeah, I know pizza is horrible.  But getting a job somewhere else?  I was unemployed for almost an entire year, looking for a job but no one would call me back or anything, it was horrible trying to find a job, before finally I was lucky enough to get a call back on a nearly 6 month old app at domino's pizza and they pretty much hired me on the spot.  The job is so surprisingly easy and so stress free as well(my last job was getting me really stressed actually, to the point I was smoking hookah/shisha [NOT WEED like some people assume, it's like flavoured tobacco] for a little while to help me relax) and my $600 of credit card debt accumulated during my near year of unemployment was then paid off within about a month, I bought a brand new $600 laptop computer within the next month, and had saved up $1,000 by the next month.  That's more money I've made in such a short amount of time than I have ever made at any of my other jobs before.  Then management changed and the amount of money I was making dropped dramatically.  However, the store that I am at right now is not the original store that I was hired at, which burnt down 3 days after I was hired there, and they have been rebuilding it.  Once it's back up, and I can go back I'll have better management and be in a better area and be making more money, and hopefully even be working more hours on top of that, so I should be making good money again then, maybe even more than when I paid off my card and bout a new comp and stuff.  Just until then I have to suffer through this bad manager and bad area and less money, until my original store is back up, and I can make good money again, I don't want another job unless it's easier/just as easy and I'm making total bank, which is nearly impossible.
As for trading pizza for other food, the free pizza I get is mostly messed up/canceled orders that we can't resell and so we put it to the side and the employees all eat it.  I can't exactly just grab the half eaten pizza and walk out of there on the clock to go barter with some of the other food places for other food.. and I don't have any friends in other food places anyways.

As for the rice and soy sauce, I think the main part of it I like is the salt, which is the part I'm more afraid of because of my acne, and for now I'm trying to go with a more Wai diet approach.  Although, Wai said that it's just an increase from your normal intake of salt that will cause temporary acne, perhaps I should just take a daily dose of salt so that on the days I do happen to consume something salty, I don't have to worry so much about that.. hm.  I don't know, I think I just need to keep experimenting with my diet to see what works best I guess.  I do know that, at least, since starting to eat raw, my acne has been dramatically reduced from what it used to be, so I have hope.  I guess I just need to better fine tune my diet to completely get rid of my acne, I just gotta figure out what works best.

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 21, 2010, 10:09:58 pm »

I don't think more fat is meant helping pregnancy as far as fertility, or how easily you get pregnant, but rather how well your body handles that pregnancy, and can nourish and feed the baby.

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 21, 2010, 11:19:16 pm »
I see, you haven't been on raw paleo long enough.
And now there's the economic thing being forced on wheat based foods.
Plus the illness.

If I connect the dots, I'd bet on TYLENOL every month you are taking every month.

Think about your liver getting hit every time you take Tylenol.  And it is cumulative.  That goes for every single drug in the market out there.

There are drug free solutions to your menstrual cramps.

Drugs are just so so so so bad.

Try to be chemical free on your body and your face. Every single day. No make up, no deodorants, no sunblock, no lotions.  Those are all chemicals / pollutants.

I think working out is counter productive in this case.  This may be a time to rest and feed yourself more frequently.  Not those 1 meal a day things.  Probably 5 or more a day.  Check your digestion of course.  If you were on full raw food, that's easy bcuz it's easy to digest.

I bet your dad will listen to a cooked version of the paleo diet. So at least he will buy good food.

Acne is merely detox through your face in your case.

Try my eczema cure website and you will probably clear up fast.

I only take tylenol because I HAVE to.  The cramps are HORRIBLE.  And nothing I do can get rid of them, none of those damn heating pads or other external crap work at all.  The ONLY thing that seemed to help reduce them at all, is if I drank large quantities of commercial pasteurized milk in the week before starting my period, and especially in the two days before starting.  I don't know if raw milk would have the same effect, since raw milk is really expensive and I can't afford to drink 5 gallons of raw milk in one week every four weeks.  Plus my cycle isn't very regular at all, so then if I start drinking my milk a week before I'm supposed to start, but then I start a week late, then I end up drinking large quantities of milk for two weeks instead.  That also makes it difficult to be able to specially make sure to drink extra milk in the two days right before I start, which seems to work the best in reducing my cramps.
But I have no idea what it is in the pasteurized milk that helped reduce my cramps.  I don't know if it was the calcium, the vitamin D, some other nutrient in the milk, the lactose, the natural cow hormones, the hormones from commercial hormone-infested grain-fed cows, some compound in the milk only created by pasteurizing it, or what.  And even so, sometimes when I drank milk before starting my period I'd still get bad cramps.

I absolutely positively HATE having to take the tylenol every month because of my cramps, but I have no other choice.  Nothing else works to get rid of them, especially once they start.  And once they get bad, I can't do anything but curl up in a ball and squirm and cry in pain.  I can't move, I can't get up, I can't pay attention to anything, I can't even hardly talk, let alone drive to work or school or anything.  But I still keep the tylenol use to a minmum.  I only take 2 - 3 pills once everytime I get the cramps, and I won't take anymore after that even if they wear off and the cramps start to come back.  The cramps never quite get as bad after that, even if I might be in a lot of discomfort, I still do not take anymore pills.  I hate them.  And they are the only thing I ever take.

Also, I don't wear makeup, I rarely wear deodorant, I NEVER wear sunblock, and I rarely use lotion, and only even been using it more recently like the passed year or two, before that I never used lotion.  I don't even shower everyday.  I do not wear perfume, and very rarely use body spray.  I don't use toothpaste.  I rarely even brush my teeth.  And I've been like this my entire life. 

And yeah, I haven't been working out for the passed 4 or 5 days that I've been sick.  But once I get over the sickness and am eating more again, I'll go back to working out.  I want to build muscle and become strong.  I don't even do that intensive of a work out, I just lay around on the floor doing sit ups and leg work outs, then roll over and do some girly push ups, and then do a bit of stretching, and maybe stand up and do some squats.  I probably only work out for about 5 - 10 minutes at most a day, so not a lot, I'm lazy.

And I'm not sure if my dad will listen to a cooked paleo diet, he won't buy meat because he doesn't have the time to cook it and such, and he knows I won't cook it and that I will probably eat it raw which he will not allow.  Other than that is pretty much just fruit and eggs, which he already buys.

And for right now I'm going to try more of a Wai diet approach for my acne, and see how that turns out for now.  If not, then maybe I'll look up stuff on eczema then, and try that instead.

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 21, 2010, 11:24:46 pm »
In this country burger patties contain much less wheat than pizzas. :D Between the two I'd take the frozen burger patties, wouldn't you? Besides, I sometimes add sea salt to my food, so you're talking to the wrong person. ;)

This diet definitely presents some difficulties when one is living under someone else's roof and/or doesn't have money to burn. It's one reason I'm less fond of extended stays at other people's homes now.

Yeah, it would probably be better for me to eat a cheeseburger without buns than a pizza.  Or maybe if I do eat pizza, I can stick with the thin crust?

So uhh yuli, wolf...
Which one of you wants to meet me back in my cave? O0

Lol, I doubt you'd like me as much after seeing my acne covered face.
Also I am not promiscuous, I'm monogamous.. Wolves mate for life!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk