Author Topic: How to eat cartilage, tendons, and collagen raw.  (Read 20194 times)

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: How to eat cartilage, tendons, and collagen raw.
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2013, 10:29:01 pm »
There is a book called "The Permaculture Book of Ferment and Human Nutrition" by Bill Mollison, it had a ton of recipes for meat, fish and eggs.  Does any one happen to have a copy?  That may also have some recipes for cartilage and bones.

I own the Mollison book, but I do not like it because it is more of a chronicle than a recipe book. It does not give food preparation details that I find useful, just a lot of nice, glossy pictures and descriptions. It was quite expensive.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2013, 10:40:09 pm »
Do they mention if it is refrigerated or not?

Refrigeration or not is a tricky question because often fermentation was seasonal (after the harvest), which put the activity in the cooler months. There are summer and winter ferments, the summer one being for short term storage and quick consumption. Modern Koreans often buy a kimchi refrigerator which, like an electric wine cellar, keeps the fermenting batches at 55 degrees F. to simulate the temperature of a buried crock.

I live in an area with summer highs in the 80s and winter highs around 60. In this temperature range, I use the concept of summer vs. winter fermentation. I leave a saltier summer fermentation out for a day and then refrigerate for a week or more. Winter fermentation can be out longer, and results in a tastier product with less (or no) salt.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2013, 11:12:41 am »
I just saw an amazing doc. called Human Planet.  It showed how the Inuit of Greenland catch birds with long poles and nets, and then stuff about five hundred (they are rather small birds) in a big bushel sized seal skin.
Ah yes, kiviak (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiviak).
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2013, 11:26:34 am »
I have definitely noticed that I can eat high fish/meat more easily when it's cold weather. The flavor doesn't bother me nearly as much.   

Other than the obvious fact of digesting things being easier when it's warm, I bet there are other useful aspects to heavier fermentation for people enduring colder weather.

Offline paper_clips43

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2013, 10:47:49 pm »
Haai posted this in another thread and it basically says the reason we have bigger brains is due to bones and brains we were able to gather from the kills of other animals.

http://thepaleodiet.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Fatty-Acid-Composition-and-Energy-Density-of-Foods-Available-to-African-Hominids.pdf
Gnawing on bones.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2013, 03:57:39 am »
Haai posted this in another thread and it basically says the reason we have bigger brains is due to bones and brains we were able to gather from the kills of other animals.

http://thepaleodiet.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Fatty-Acid-Composition-and-Energy-Density-of-Foods-Available-to-African-Hominids.pdf

I just don't buy it. Nearly all primate lines have bigger brains than the ancestor species of all primates, but only some of those lines have been regular meat eaters over the last several million years or so.

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2013, 01:54:19 pm »
Throughout evolutionary history, carnivorous mammals have
always maintained a proportionately larger brain size relative to body size when
compared to their herbivorous prey.

Vegans said wha??
-Dustin

Trying to heal ADHD. Common symptoms: fatigue, impulsiveness, poor attention, no motivation.
Other side issues I'd like to get over: Acne, dandruff, tooth health (yellow, poor gums, gingivitis)

If ya ain't hungry enough to eat raw liver, ya ain't hungry enough.

We are all just doing the best we can, with what we know, at any given time.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2013, 11:16:05 pm »
Throughout evolutionary history, carnivorous mammals have
always maintained a proportionately larger brain size relative to body size when
compared to their herbivorous prey.

So what happens if a tiger eats an herbivorous primate, like a monkey?  :)

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2013, 12:30:08 am »
Well, according to the article doesn't it mean that it's brain is bigger relative to it's body size anyways, simply due to carnivory? Nothing "new" would really happen.

Or are you using an example of breaking the previous statement? I don't know relative brain sizes of tigers and monkeys off the top of my head ;)
-Dustin

Trying to heal ADHD. Common symptoms: fatigue, impulsiveness, poor attention, no motivation.
Other side issues I'd like to get over: Acne, dandruff, tooth health (yellow, poor gums, gingivitis)

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2013, 12:39:26 am »
Well, according to the article doesn't it mean that it's brain is bigger relative to it's body size anyways, simply due to carnivory? Nothing "new" would really happen.

Or are you using an example of breaking the previous statement? I don't know relative brain sizes of tigers and monkeys off the top of my head ;)

Monkeys have much larger brains per body size than tigers.

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2013, 07:02:21 am »
I see. Well, I was just posting a line from the article. Take it up with the publishers if necessary! Haha. I also found that an odd line considering it was talking about fatty acids and hominids.

Jerison HJ: The Evolution of the Brain and Intelligence. New York, Academic Press, 1973, pp
287–319

Thats the official citation for that statement. Kind of an old book... I don't go to college anymore so I don't have the same access to wonderfully academic books. I'd be curious what those pages say and what evidence they are using.
-Dustin

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2013, 10:57:55 am »
Plenty of primate species eat very little or no meat, and they have very large brains, compared to all other mammal species. There are vegan primates and heavy meat-eating primates, and most are somewhere in-between those two extremes.

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2013, 01:35:10 am »
trying to use the theory of macroevolution to explain brain sizes by comparing completely different species of animals will only confuse you because it is a fraudulent theory.
-----------

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2013, 11:35:04 am »
Like I said in the other thread, macroevolution supports a paleo diet for humans, because most other large primates eat a meat/fish (orangutans have been observed eating fish), fruit, and leaves diet, which is pretty similar to the ideal diet for most people.

Why would you preach paleo, but tear down some of the best scientific support for it?

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2013, 01:12:25 pm »
I preach raw not paleo.

THe reason that raw works is because al of the enzymes are still intact and all the nutrients are bound to water and completely bioactive when in their raw form and none of it has formed strange chemicals due to being processed by heat.

That there is the reason why raw food diet works to heal. Not some rehashed hindu myths given to us by sick degenerate inbreds about one type of creature magically transforming into another type of creature through "progress"/"enlightenment"
-----------

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2013, 09:08:52 pm »
Charles Darwin, I assure you, was not a Hindu.  He was either an agnostic or a deist, depending on when in his life someone asked him.   The older he got, the more agnostic, NOT atheistic, he became.

For that matter, most scientists are either agnostics, atheists, or have never bothered to change from the religion of their childhood. What are you even on about with all this?  You are LITERALLY the first person I know of to relate Hinduism with macro-evolution, ever.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk