Author Topic: I keep losing weight!  (Read 64649 times)

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: I keep losing weight!
« Reply #75 on: August 31, 2012, 10:19:08 am »
Well yeah, according to some common modern parenting methods my son should have started solids between 4-6 months. When he was not able to sit, grab, chew or really swallow yet (babies have a tongue thrust reflex needed for breastfeeding, that is why they spit so much food out, and require to be spoon fed).
He also had no interest in foods, and even by 8,9,10 months he would choke on the smallest chunks and then throw up.
To me that was a sign he was not ready. By 11 months he started grabbing foods and putting them in his mouth, however he is still only able to eat very small pieces. He also will not eat an actual meal, he is testing out food still.
All this did not worry me. One because their digestive system is only partially ready for solids by 6 months, and two because I believe he will know best when he is ready. Babies are all instincts, unlike moms, who are a product of society.
Babies also used to be on mostly breast milk for a very long time, and introducing solids earlier is something modern (and benefits baby cereal and food companies)

Many natural parenting advocates say that a child can be on only breast milk for two years even (1 year olds not eating many solids does not even worry my standard pediatrician). Naomi Aldort, a natural parenting "guru", whatever you want to call her, even mentioned 5 years on mostly breast milk don't harm a child theoretically. She is also registered her as far as I know, but not active. I like some of her thoughts on parenting.

Anyhow, bottom line...we don't force anything.

As far as weight loss and breastfeeding goes - I was able to maintain my weight until not to long ago, when I started cutting out pasta dinners.
I always had trouble gaining, but was able to maintain with a pasta and bread diet before this, and when I added raw butter to the pasta I even gained some.
Breastfeeding only burns an extra 500 calories, regardless of age of the child (milk gets fattier only at some point...not more), I can easily make up for that with one extra meal a day...or a small meal even since some of my meals have 1300 cals.
And I DO make sure I eat balanced and I am not eating grains or dairy or anything like that. Just a mix of cooked and raw paleo at the moment.

I hope that explains it.

Edit: I found the thread where Naomi posted - http://www.rawpaleodietforum.com/omnivorous-raw-paleo/weaning/20/
Paleo Phil also posted some interesting findings at the beginning and end of the thread about how long a child should get only/ mostly breast milk.

You certainly have it figured out. I would have said roughly the same, but it is better to hear it from the expert. It's all theory to me. By breastfeeding a long time you are not just doing your baby a favour, you are doing yourself a big favour as the theory goes that breastfeeding is apparently the best breast cancer preventative medicine.

In societies where mothers spend a long time breastfeeding and having babies, breast cancer is virtually unheard of. The theory goes that menstruation is hard on the body.
Cheers
Al

Offline aLptHW4k4y

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 31, 2012, 02:18:51 pm »
3500 calories at 46kg weight!! I'm seriously amazed that you can eat that much!
Something really doesn't fit here if you don't gain weight.

In societies where mothers spend a long time breastfeeding and having babies, breast cancer is virtually unheard of. The theory goes that menstruation is hard on the body.
I think it's more accurate to say that it's because we have been in such societies throughout most of human history, i.e. women have always been spending a lot of time pregnant / nursing. It's only in recent times that this has changed radically.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 02:31:47 pm by aLptHW4k4y »

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 31, 2012, 03:03:09 pm »
With raw paleo food, it doesn't work as with cooked food. We found out that it rather often works in the opposite way. That is to say: the more we eat, the more quickly we loose weight. If this is especially true for overweight and obese people, it can also be the case for other persons if they really eat too much. This problem may becomes acute when the person finds herself too thin, panics and absolutely wants to quickly gain weight, thus forcing herself to eat too much. A vicious circle takes place, then.   

The explanation could well be that feeding  the body with the right food accelerates the detoxination of the abnormal substances it has previously accumulated. Thus, eating less provides a better controlled detoxination and a slow, healthy weight normalization.

Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 31, 2012, 04:32:11 pm »
Right, that is why I only eat honey once a day. It is also not the most calorie rich food I could pick. Take a look at the foods listed above, those seem to have the highest calorie content (I googled) :)

I realise that honey is far less calorie dense than fat, however, it is the combination of eating honey and fat that makes one gain body fat. This is because the body will burn the carbs from honey in preference to burning fat. Therefore, high fat + high carb (honey) diet promotes fat storage in the body.

Ofcourse the alternative to gaining fat is to gain muscle by weight training/lifting. But I imagine it will be much easier to gain fat than muscle.
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

Offline Suiren

• Elder
  • (r)evolutionary mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 31, 2012, 08:07:09 pm »
You certainly have it figured out. I would have said roughly the same, but it is better to hear it from the expert. It's all theory to me. By breastfeeding a long time you are not just doing your baby a favour, you are doing yourself a big favour as the theory goes that breastfeeding is apparently the best breast cancer preventative medicine.

Menstruation - do you know more about that? I have been wondering.
Mine just returned and for the first time I had some cramps. It was not a whole lot though, talking to other moms I expected a blood bath and pains that can only be dealt with with vicodin ;)

Naturally women really would spend almost all of their child bearing years breastfeeding, since they would not make the child wean, the child would chose when he is ready. This means I might be tandem feeding a toddler and a newborn in the future, nurse throughout pregnancy etc.
Nyd byþ nearu on breostan; weorþeþ hi þeah oft niþa bearnum
to helpe and to hæle gehwæþre, gif hi his hlystaþ æror.

Offline Suiren

• Elder
  • (r)evolutionary mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 31, 2012, 08:10:41 pm »
I think it's more accurate to say that it's because we have been in such societies throughout most of human history, i.e. women have always been spending a lot of time pregnant / nursing. It's only in recent times that this has changed radically.

I was only eating 2100-2500 before I think. But I increased the amount of butter and oil, added avocado and more carbs...now it MUST work...or else  :P

Women that are pregnant and breastfeed don't earn a lot of money and whoever is in charge wants a lot of busy workers :/

Offline Suiren

• Elder
  • (r)evolutionary mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 31, 2012, 08:28:37 pm »
Haai

Yes, that is why I added more carbs. I hope it works!
I also have carbs with every meal now.

With raw paleo food, it doesn't work as with cooked food. We found out that it rather often works in the opposite way. That is to say: the more we eat, the more quickly we loose weight. If this is especially true for overweight and obese people, it can also be the case for other persons if they really eat too much. This problem may becomes acute when the person finds herself too thin, panics and absolutely wants to quickly gain weight, thus forcing herself to eat too much. A vicious circle takes place, then.   

The explanation could well be that feeding  the body with the right food accelerates the detoxination of the abnormal substances it has previously accumulated. Thus, eating less provides a better controlled detoxination and a slow, healthy weight normalization.

I only just started to eat more calories to see if it helps. Before I used to just eat high calorie meals whenever I am hungry, but I think I was lacking calories after having taken out rice. Before I was not losing, not gaining either sadly, but at least maintaining.

I don't think I am stressed enough to be all bones because of it lol  ;D I get a little frustrated, make some changes and I'm back to normal.

But tell me more if you think it applies to me so I can understand it better.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 01, 2012, 02:44:21 am »
I am trying to remember where I heard that... I think it was one of Malcolm Gladwell's Books, but I also believe there was a female anthropologist who was working in Africa, trying to figure out why breast cancer is unheard of in the area where she was.

Not sure if I mentioned it before but there is an interesting book called "The Continuum Concept" by a woman who passed away not long ago I believe.http://www.continuum-concept.org/home.html

She was in South America living in a town with some aboriginals where she watched mothers raising children and saw some very interesting ways that explain why these people grew up with very healthy minds. The moms basically held the babies all day, so they learned how adults acted and so they acted adult themselves. No temper tantrums. Interesting book.

Your baby looks very happy!
Cheers
Al

Offline Alive

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 01, 2012, 03:56:50 am »
My kids school is great for social development - family members are allowed to be at school all day, so there are often babies there, and the kids love to play with babies. Also having the kids of different ages mix makes for great fun - my boy loves playing with the little kids. To get more exercise I have started giving kids shoulder rides, and then running around the playground - giddyup horsey!

The social cohesion must be great in small tribal communities - here is a great 70's doc of the Amazon Tribe That Hides From Man:
The Tribe That Hides From Man (1970)

One of the mothers at school has given me some raw milk and my boy loved it. We got talking about fermented food and she makes a yeast probiotic drink and her indigenous Maori father was always hanging food in trees to cure - eels, sharks & flies. They also had a barrel full of rotting corn she says really stunk.

Offline Suiren

• Elder
  • (r)evolutionary mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 01, 2012, 05:27:17 pm »
I am trying to remember where I heard that... I think it was one of Malcolm Gladwell's Books, but I also believe there was a female anthropologist who was working in Africa, trying to figure out why breast cancer is unheard of in the area where she was.

Not sure if I mentioned it before but there is an interesting book called "The Continuum Concept" by a woman who passed away not long ago I believe.http://www.continuum-concept.org/home.html

She was in South America living in a town with some aboriginals where she watched mothers raising children and saw some very interesting ways that explain why these people grew up with very healthy minds. The moms basically held the babies all day, so they learned how adults acted and so they acted adult themselves. No temper tantrums. Interesting book.

Your baby looks very happy!

Yes, we talked about the continuum concept before! :) I really liked it and tried to recommend it to some moms. Many don't like it though because it is so different from their parenting  :(
My son is very happy! He smiles all the time, and he is usually not fussy if we fulfill all his needs (being held, played with, cuddled). He basically gets whatever he needs. I don't believe in 'children should be taught independence' from an early age on. He can be clingy all he wants, I know he won't be like that anymore once he grows into a teen ;)

alive

That video seems interesting! We recently watched something about a tribe in Papua New Guinea, that had not seen any civilization or white men until 1970 something. It was interesting to see the mothers and the children too, I saw some resemblances in how they were carried, and how they were nursed on demand.

One thing my son is lacking sadly is other children to play with. I have been to meet ups, but I think my parenting scares those women off. I was not even going into detail...all it took was my son getting hungry. So I think seeing a breastfed toddler that nibbled on some pre chewed food, but has never had a bottle in his life or ate an actual meal, seems weird to them.
It might have been me too though, can't say I am good at making girlfriends  -[

Offline Suiren

• Elder
  • (r)evolutionary mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 01, 2012, 08:10:27 pm »
I wanted to update my progress:

Yesterday I ate 3700 cal, my weight is unchanged. At least I did not lose any more. It has not went up even the slightest bit either though, but maybe I need to wait longer to see ANY changes?

I combine a lot of potent foods, a typical lunch is:

2 eggs
40 grams of tiger nut
50 grams of butter
2 table spoons of olive oil
1/2 avocado
30-60 grams of meat

1 carrot or 1/2 sweet potato, with onions or bell pepper at the moment.

Offline Brad462

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 02, 2012, 07:39:51 am »
I think your weight is pretty normal. Being petite is normal for women, but I know how females like to obsess about their looks. You look hot to me.
I'm actually a really nice guy, once you get to blow me.

— Anthony Jeselnik

Offline Alive

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 02, 2012, 08:47:09 am »
Lucky baby : )

Offline Suiren

• Elder
  • (r)evolutionary mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 02, 2012, 09:27:55 am »
I think your weight is pretty normal. Being petite is normal for women, but I know how females like to obsess about their looks. You look hot to me.

The picture is old
I'm not "females"
I don't obsess
What matters is how I feel about my weight

Offline Brad462

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 02, 2012, 10:12:54 am »
Ok ...You seem to get offended very easily. All I said is your weight is normal.

If you want everyone to agree with you then perhaps you should not open yourself up to infinity. This forum does not revolve around you.

— Anthony Jeselnik

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 02, 2012, 11:36:11 am »
The picture is old
I'm not "females"
I don't obsess
What matters is how I feel about my weight

Feelings aren't reality.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

CitrusHigh

« Reply #91 on: September 02, 2012, 12:10:16 pm »
Feelings aren't reality.

Feelings are an integral part of any meaningful definition of reality since everyone is experiencing their own reality inside which is composed of their sensory awareness, thoughts, and emotions (feelings). And what would be your point anyway? Suiren's feelings about her weight are the only thing actually relevant to her unless she places import on outside factors.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 02, 2012, 03:06:51 pm »
Its good to be aware that feelings of being underweight may only be feelings. I was trying to be reassuring was the point I was getting at.

Albert Camus

Offline aLptHW4k4y

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 02, 2012, 04:43:53 pm »
Not sure if this has been posted here before: http://www.rawpaleodietforum.com/before-and-after-photos/brady's-before-and-after-pics-gained-20kg-in-3-months/
Obviously pretty high carb is necessary, he was eating 1/2kg of honey per day..

Offline Suiren

• Elder
  • (r)evolutionary mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 02, 2012, 07:16:13 pm »
Ok ...You seem to get offended very easily. All I said is your weight is normal.

If you want everyone to agree with you then perhaps you should not open yourself up to infinity. This forum does not revolve around you.

Yes, maybe I shouldn't seek health advise anymore.  l)

Maybe you should not be butt hurt to infinity. This forum does not revolve around your ass.

I don't want to hear I'm "hot", you see that squishy thing on my avatar? That's a baby...babies come from husbands, mine is a member of this forum.
You also generalized that "females" tend to obsess, so I must too. You were lacking respect.

All you could have said was that you think my weight might be normal...
based on...what??

wodgina
You have not seen one single picture of my underweight state vs. before, so how can you say that?
And with how I "feel" about it, means what I 'want'. No need to talk about the definition of the word feeling.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 07:29:41 pm by Suiren »

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 02, 2012, 08:02:56 pm »
Show me some photos and Ill be brutally honest (comes naturally)

Albert Camus

Offline Brad462

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 02, 2012, 09:57:41 pm »
The internet is serious business isn't it. Oh, the drama!

— Anthony Jeselnik

Offline aLptHW4k4y

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 02, 2012, 10:04:15 pm »
I don't get it how you folks don't understand that she doesn't need someone telling her whether she looks fine or not.
And yeah right wodgina, her opinion isn't reality but yours is.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #98 on: September 02, 2012, 10:05:36 pm »
Not sure if this has been posted here before: http://www.rawpaleodietforum.com/before-and-after-photos/brady's-before-and-after-pics-gained-20kg-in-3-months/
Obviously pretty high carb is necessary, he was eating 1/2kg of honey per day..

I agree with that.  I gained weight using durian and honey.  I still use durian when I want to gain weight.  Like recently I lost weight because of this pesky chicken pox.  So I started buying durian again.

I don't want to hear I'm "hot", you see that squishy thing on my avatar? That's a baby...babies come from husbands, mine is a member of this forum.

Now now.  Let's not misinterpret language nuances.  "Hot" is an adjective saying your kind of beauty is both pretty & sexy and does not mean that someone is "coming on" to you.  It was actually meant as a compliment so smile and blush a little  ;D . Be happy! (he was trying to lift your spirits ... seems it was mis understood in german )

« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 01:29:15 am by goodsamaritan »
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 03, 2012, 01:27:15 am »
Ahem, back to the topic...

I combine a lot of potent foods, a typical lunch is:
2 eggs
40 grams of tiger nut
50 grams of butter
2 table spoons of olive oil
1/2 avocado
30-60 grams of meat
1 carrot or 1/2 sweet potato, with onions or bell pepper at the moment.

I lose weight on the composition your typical lunch. My simple understanding of fat storage is that the body stores excess carbohydrates as body fat first. Next, it converts excess protein to store it as body fat. The surprise is that eating fat does not make you fat. I see you are eating tons of fat with tweezers-full of protein and carbs = weight loss.

Give yourself something to store as fat (I mean, CARBS!).

GS's suggestion of durian fruit sounds good. I tried durian and found it very tasty and interesting to open and eat. If you look up the nutritional composition of durian, it has so much carbohydrate that it should do the trick. If you can't get them nearby, buy a bag of sweet potatoes and chow down.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk