Author Topic: Has anyone tried leaf lard? Appears to be hog suet.  (Read 2998 times)

Offline davidg

• Forager
    • View Profile
Has anyone tried leaf lard? Appears to be hog suet.
« on: October 31, 2008, 06:36:08 am »
Lard is pig fat in both its rendered and unrendered forms. Lard was commonly used in many cuisines as a cooking fat or shortening, or as a spread similar to butter. Its use in contemporary cuisine has diminished because of health concerns posed by its saturated fat content and its often negative image; however, many contemporary cooks and bakers favor it over other fats for select uses. The culinary qualities of lard vary somewhat depending on the part of the pig from which the fat was taken and how the lard was processed. Lard is still commonly used to manufacture soap.

Lard can be obtained from any part of the pig as long as there is a high concentration of fatty tissue. The highest grade of lard, known as leaf lard, is obtained from the "flare" fat deposit surrounding the kidneys and inside the loin. Leaf lard has little pork flavor, making it ideal for use in baked goods, where it is treasured for its ability to produce flaky, moist pie crusts. The next highest grade of lard is obtained from fatback, the hard fat between the back skin and flesh of the pig. The lowest grade (for purposes of rendering into lard) is obtained from the soft caul fat surrounding digestive organs, such as small intestines, though caul fat is often used directly as a wrapping for roasting lean meats or in the manufacture of pâtés.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Has anyone tried leaf lard? Appears to be hog suet.
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 08:39:41 pm »
 My understanding is that "lard" is heated fat, in other words, it's definitely not a RAF-diet food. Cooked fats are to be avoided even more so than cooked lean protein or cooked carbs. If you do want raw pig fat as opposed to cooked, get it from pastured pigs as most pigs, nowadays, are force-fed on 100% grain-diets which is not a good idea.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone tried leaf lard? Appears to be hog suet.
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 02:58:31 am »
Ya I've only ever heard lard in conjunction with rendering of the fat; as well tallow is the rendered fat of the ox. You can easily tell if you buy some, there is no water content in lard and it will not go bad while raw pig fat will grow bacteria and fungus quickly if left unrefrigerated and uncovered.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk