Author Topic: raw fish..  (Read 10210 times)

Offline mrz

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
raw fish..
« on: July 16, 2010, 11:15:53 am »
ok so ive been eating raw meat.. now im even craving grass fed strip steaks/ rib eye, etc..

im wondering who here eats raw fish.. i can get wild caught from my local whole foods..

wondering what type of fish are best, and what does it actually taste like? never imagined id be contemplating eating raw salmon

Offline King Salmon

• Elder
  • Eating the best realistic diet
    • View Profile
Re: raw fish..
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 11:44:00 am »
First,go to a Japanese restaurant.Order Sashimi only.Salmon,Tuna and whatever else.Make sure you try the red tuna.It's the best!
Second,from the ones you really like,you'll know what to buy.I buy wild salmon(prefer Sockeye),Tuna(from close to British Columbia coast),and wild scallops.Some people here eat oysters,prawns...etc.
Also,there are other places to buy wild-caught seafood other than Whole Foods.You just need to shop around just like you would for different butchers and what not.Good luck.
"Eat the best of what's available and call it a day"

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 01:59:36 pm »
I like blue marlin, tuna, salmon in that order.

I also eat tiny fish whole.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 06:37:20 pm »
I've eaten swordfish, salmon, smelt, ahi tuna, mahi mahi, and mako shark raw. I also tried a scallop (even though I know I'm mildly allergic to scallops I wanted to give it a shot).
My reactions ran the full gamut. Swordfish was delicious. Mako shark was fairly good as well. Smelt was light and slightly sweet which was nice. The others were so-so or unpleasant (tuna) for me.
You really need to just pick a couple nice looking cuts up and try them. Everyone has different tastes. :)
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline sven

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 06:43:45 pm »
If you have access to fresh raw fish, you should realize the opportunity and take advantage of the situation, as it is very hard for many people to have such luxuries. 

Offline deletemyaccount

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 11:50:39 pm »
I eat about 1 pound of raw wild caught salmon everyday! I love all the fish, but my favorites are salmon, bass, sardines, herring, mackerel, and tuna and cod. Bass and salmon are absolutely delicious! My local supermarket has really good selection of fresh wild caught fish and I eat at least a pound of fish everyday along with the other meats that I eat.

Offline mrz

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 12:30:39 am »
how does raw salmon taste, and can u eat the skin, etc or no

Offline deletemyaccount

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 02:51:49 am »
Raw salmon tastes great. i don't know exactly how to describe the taste. Very oily and delicious and the skin is the best part, in fact, i always ask the butcher for any extra skin from other skinned fish. The skin and the head is the best part of the fish, but they only sell fillets and steaks so I can't purchase my head :-) Bass has a wonderful buttery flavor. I would eat fish all day long, but I mainly stick to salmon as I'm not sure about the mercury in the other such as bass etc. and I don't really like the lean white fish that they sell here.

I wish that they would sell raw fresh sardines, herring, and mackerel here in North Carolina, but the people down here seem to preffer the less fattier fish such as tuna, cod, halibut, snapper, talapia, flounder, etc.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 02:12:46 pm »
Almost all raw salmon is farmed and therefore unhealthy, so avoid it unless it is specifically stated that it is wildcaught.

As for me, I love raw seafood and eat everything from raw mackerel to raw swordfish/raw sea-urchin-eggs/oysters/mussels/scallops/shark etc.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline deletemyaccount

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2010, 09:54:21 pm »
Almost all raw salmon is farmed and therefore unhealthy, so avoid it unless it is specifically stated that it is wildcaught.

As for me, I love raw seafood and eat everything from raw mackerel to raw swordfish/raw sea-urchin-eggs/oysters/mussels/scallops/shark etc.

Of course all of the fish that you eat should be wild-caught. I would never eat a farmed fish after witnessing the conditions of a trout fish farm.

Offline maxscan

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 02:28:46 am »
I like bass, snapper & tuna from what I've tried - mackerel is a bit too oily for me, a couple of sardines are fine and they're easy to fillet, any more than 2 though and the oilyness gets too much for me...

Mentioned in another thread I'd once tried raw prawns (some years back, before going raw) and they were amazing, really sweet taste - only I think you need to be really sure of your source with prawns

Offline FRANCIS HOWARD BOND

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2014, 04:51:13 am »
GLAD I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO LOVES RAW FISH!!!!   SIMPLY SUPER!

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 02:54:31 pm »
Mentioned in another thread I'd once tried raw prawns (some years back, before going raw) and they were amazing, really sweet taste - only I think you need to be really sure of your source with prawns
  I read recently that prawns in some countries like Thailand get  fed on excrement so one should be really careful.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 02:23:54 pm by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2014, 09:58:37 am »
I never eat farm-raised fish or shellfish, ESPECIALLY ones from East Asia.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk