Author Topic: raw vs pasteurized milk feeding experiment  (Read 9977 times)

Offline michaelwh

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
raw vs pasteurized milk feeding experiment
« on: June 05, 2010, 09:12:12 am »
Michael Schmidt just reported the results of his feeding experiment (including lots of photos). One calf was raised on raw milk, the other on processed supermarket milk.

http://thebovine.wordpress.com/2010/06/04/the-tale-of-two-calves-one-calf-got-raw-milk-the-other-pasteurized/#more-16769

I found the differences in the kidneys really remarkable.

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: raw vs pasteurized milk feeding experiment
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 03:19:40 pm »

cool, repeat that with humans... wait, that experiment is actually ongoing  :D

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 08:12:59 pm »
Holy hell.

Those results are just... staggering.

I can only imagine if this is the difference between grassfed and grainfed. Diseased, weak and pale meat.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 08:20:02 pm by ForTheHunt »
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

alphagruis

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 08:31:18 pm »
Very impressive experiment.

But why the hell did they use different breeds for the two calves?

Offline michaelwh

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 05:40:18 am »
Michael Schmidt posted a comment today clarifying that the breeds are the same.

alphagruis

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 04:36:49 pm »
Michael Schmidt posted a comment today clarifying that the breeds are the same.

Thanks.

Outstanding experiment indeed. The dramatic effects of pasteurization are so conspicuous here because the animals are exclusively milk fed.

Note also that any scientist claiming that these results would be statistically not meaningful or acceptable scientifically is scientifically utterlly wrong and just a plain arshole.  

carnivore

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 12:05:18 am »
Note also that any scientist claiming that these results would be statistically not meaningful or acceptable scientifically is scientifically utterlly wrong and just a plain arshole.  

Agree, but it would be even more convincing to have many other similar experiences...

Offline Paleo Donk

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 01:27:11 am »
Would this experiment indicate that humans are better suited at handling heated foods than cows and other animals? Or would we have to run this kind of experiment for a much longer time period (say 10-20 years) since humans have much longer lifespans than cows?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 02:02:09 am »
Would this experiment indicate that humans are better suited at handling heated foods than cows and other animals? Or would we have to run this kind of experiment for a much longer time period (say 10-20 years) since humans have much longer lifespans than cows?
Obviously, one would have to run the tests for longer as we have much longer lifespans. As for the issue of better handling of toxins from cooked foods, there is no scientific evidence to suggest how humans might be better at handling cooked-food-toxins than wild animals, so it's pretty safe to assume that we are not much different from wild animals.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

alphagruis

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 02:44:06 am »
Agree, but it would be even more convincing to have many other similar experiences...

Maybe we have them already  ;)

Formula fed babies might well be harmed in a similar way as Mr Pasteur calf since it's processed milk, not even based on human milk but cow or soy milk most likely heat exposed.

Maybe such babies recover somewhat after weaning when they get solid food with part of it raw. As Mr pasteur calf might recover to some extent when put on pasture.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 02:53:30 am by alphagruis »

alphagruis

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 02:30:08 am »

I have tried to find out more details about this experiment with little success.

There is finally one point that seriously bother's me about this experiment and the conclusion one might draw from it. It has to do with the origin of the milk. Raw calf was fed his mothers's raw milk as in nature whereas Mr Pasteur calf got pasteurized (and probably homogenized) store bought milk. The latter is certainly from conventional degenerated dairy cows heavily grainfed as compared to the milk from grassfed Raw calf's healthy mother on Mickael Schmidt's farm. I suspect that this difference is very important with conventional milk being obviously a fairly unhealthy food whether pasteurized or not that by itself is expected to impair growth and health of Mr Pasteur calf.

So the observed result cannot be simply traced back to pasteurization, unfortunately.

A more conclusive experiment about the effects of pasteurization would have been to pasteurize Mr Pasteur mother's milk on the farm but this needs the appropriate equipment.   

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2010, 04:29:59 am »
Very good point. I have always thought that the raw aspect was important, but that the grassfed aspect was ignored - so it  is appropriate, too. Raw, gainfed meats, have already been shown as being high in AGEs, which are already high in cooked meats, even cooked, 100% grassfed cooked meats.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 03:35:09 am by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

alphagruis

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2010, 11:45:37 pm »
Very good point. I have always thought that the raw aspect was important, but that the grassfed aspect was ignored - so it  is appropriate, too. GRaw, gainfed meats, have already been shown as being high in AGEs, which are already high in cooked meats, even cooked, 100% grassfed cooked meats.

Interesting. Grainfed ruminants are apparently sick animals with high AGEs in their organisms probably because of both increased endogenous formation due to sickness and large intake of exogenous ones in diet due to processing of grain and usual food complements.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk