Author Topic: Giant Bananas!  (Read 11256 times)

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Giant Bananas!
« on: January 24, 2010, 09:40:14 am »
My mother in law brought home a single giant banana one day. It was the first time I had seen such a large banana. One of our nannies says they had these giant bananas in her province but she couldn’t remember what they were called. A bunch had only 6 to 10 bananas.

We ate this banana. It’s taste was not impressive. Now I know why it is not commercialized. Please reply here with the name of this giant banana.

http://www.myhealthblog.org/2010/01/24/giant-bananas-what-are-these-called/

Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

William

Re: Giant Bananas!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 02:15:07 pm »
It looks like the macho banana I ate in Mexico. Mine was the same size, but no brown on it. I liked it - more taste than the Cavendish (?) bananas we get in Canada.
Macho is the name I was told.

Offline Nation

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 02:28:26 pm »
Have you seen giant avocados? They started popping up in grocery stores about a year ago. They're like 3-4 times bigger than regular avocados. They taste pretty bad!

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 02:55:46 pm »
Have you seen giant avocados? ... They're like 3-4 times bigger than regular avocados. They taste pretty bad!

Those may be natural.  Do they taste "watery"?  Haas I believe were bred to taste nutlike.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 09:54:19 pm »
Have you seen giant avocados? They started popping up in grocery stores about a year ago. They're like 3-4 times bigger than regular avocados. They taste pretty bad!

those are florida avocados, the other "regular" are hass avocados
there are 239084082340983 varieties of avocados,  if you do not live close to where they are growing you are unlikely to ever see/eat them...

Offline Megan Megatoast

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 06:05:18 am »
An interesting find! They're probably more natural hense them not tasting too great.

All of your children are so beautiful, GoodSamaritin.  :)

Offline invisible

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 07:05:30 pm »
Well it looks good. Nice and spotty. That's exactly how I like to eat bananas.

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 04:02:25 pm »
How much did that cost???
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 02:41:37 am »
I've had manzo bananas at fruit and spice park in south tip of Florida. They are indeed huge but I don't know if they are much more close to the 'original' un-hybridized bananas. From the pic it looks somewhat plantain-like. was it at all starchy?

--

Florida avos shipped up north tend to be picked prematurely (and seem to be affected by this much more so than normal fruit) I find them far less edible than hass. but a Florida avo eaten off the ground, ripened in the sun, is like eating a lush mango, only fatty instead of sweet.

I've heard some cali (hass type) avos can get quite big but never seen one myself.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 02:47:17 am by KD »

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 01:04:07 pm »

I've heard some cali (hass type) avos can get quite big but never seen one myself.

Not hass-type, but the Fuerte (green semi-smooth, semi-pebbly skin) can get pretty enormous, pretty close to as large as the Florida-style avos.

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 01:39:37 pm »
ah, I assumed they were just another kind of hass. I have heard the term fuerte but have probably never seen one. does it ripen brown?

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 11:46:58 am »
ah, I assumed they were just another kind of hass. I have heard the term fuerte but have probably never seen one. does it ripen brown?

No, it does not darken.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2010, 10:33:02 am »
There is a large avocado I see at the Hispanic grocery stores. Smooth skin, sweeter in taste.

http://www.ca2pr.com/images/hugeavocado.jpg

I think this is it.

Offline JazzIsGood

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, 11:21:46 am »
Looks like a florida avocado. Not huge, just more water content/less fat. Tastes awful in my opinion, like the carambolas you can get at supermarkets (like Publix). Yuck. But if you're a bit dehydrated, then it's ok (just add some raw fat and unheated honey to improve the taste).
"To say of what is that it is not, or of what is not that it is, is false, while to say of what is that it is, and of what is not that it is not, is true." -Aristotle

"A legend is an old man with a cane known for what he used to do. I'm still doing it." -Miles Davis

"Duran always disturbs me. The guy is just weird. Before our first fight, both Duran and his wife gave my wife the finger." -Sugar Ray Leonard

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2010, 08:14:36 am »
Yeah, now that you mentioned it. It does seem like it has more water.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk