Author Topic: Raw Paleo Honey / Honeycomb / Grubcomb  (Read 22401 times)

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Re: Raw Paleo Honey / Honeycomb / Grubcomb
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2015, 10:39:06 pm »
Haai and I just came back from our mountain drive and we were able to buy wild honeycomb with baby bees frozen in a freezer.  We liked the taste.  It does seem to deteriorate very fast when out of the freezer.  So it seems the good strategy is to keep it in the freezer, then just thaw out bits at a time of what you are going to eat.

This was a first time for me to eat honey comb wild with baby bees.  It's good stuff.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 11:09:50 pm by goodsamaritan »
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2015, 11:31:39 pm »
This seems to be the best, real honeycomb. I wish I could get this sort of thing. Hmm, maybe in my Italian garden......
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Raw Matt18

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2015, 12:34:31 am »
I heard really raw honey and honey Pacifica feeds there bees sugar syrups/corn syrup! Does anyone know a few reputable brands that are not just labeled raw, but are unheated, organic/non Gmo? I need a brand that's safe to buy from?

Where did you hear this? Curious because I use there brand
Ignorance is whats destroying our planet, our health, and our lives.

Offline political atheist

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2015, 08:00:52 pm »
do you guys think that if I pour the honey out of the  comb, it will cause sugar to raise or not? Or it must be eaten with the comb?
Pumping out units, I mean kids, aka bringing innocent beings into this ‘heavenly’ dimension of misery, suffering, struggling, pain and DEATH, WITHOUT THEIR PERMISSION/CONSENT, is NOT the solution/remedy/cure for your personal problems/issues such as: boredom, poverty, selfishness, loneliness, low IQ, **megalomania, shallowness, emptiness, vanity, hero complex syndrome, narcissism, virtue signalling syndrome. Please stop being a sadist, masochist and find a more useful/constructive hobby. 😉

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2015, 08:29:09 pm »
In 2 weeks, I will be getting raw honeycomb straight from the hive. I hope it will also have bee-carcasses on it. At the very least, propolis is guaranteed by them to be in it.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2015, 09:25:41 pm »
Aajonus said:

'In the body, 80-90% of unheated honey turns into enzymes for digestion, assimilation and utilization. Whereas, honeys that are labeled ‘Raw’ or ‘Uncooked’ can be heated to 160° which they do to thin the honey for quicker filtering and bottling for more profits. ‘Raw’ or ‘Uncooked’ honeys mainly turn into radical blood sugar. ‘Unheated’ is the key word with honey. You can eat as much unheated honey as you want, as long as you have a taste for it.”

So probably the honeycomb is THE BEST bet to get truly raw honey and benefit from its healing properties and thats why you guys who ate honeycomb did not experience negative effects, because it was truly raw.
Pumping out units, I mean kids, aka bringing innocent beings into this ‘heavenly’ dimension of misery, suffering, struggling, pain and DEATH, WITHOUT THEIR PERMISSION/CONSENT, is NOT the solution/remedy/cure for your personal problems/issues such as: boredom, poverty, selfishness, loneliness, low IQ, **megalomania, shallowness, emptiness, vanity, hero complex syndrome, narcissism, virtue signalling syndrome. Please stop being a sadist, masochist and find a more useful/constructive hobby. 😉

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2015, 11:07:00 pm »
Aajonus said:

'In the body, 80-90% of unheated honey turns into enzymes for digestion, assimilation and utilization. Whereas, honeys that are labeled ‘Raw’ or ‘Uncooked’ can be heated to 160° which they do to thin the honey for quicker filtering and bottling for more profits. ‘Raw’ or ‘Uncooked’ honeys mainly turn into radical blood sugar. ‘Unheated’ is the key word with honey. You can eat as much unheated honey as you want, as long as you have a taste for it.”

So probably the honeycomb is THE BEST bet to get truly raw honey and benefit from its healing properties and thats why you guys who ate honeycomb did not experience negative effects, because it was truly raw.
Yes, I highly doubt so-called "raw" liquid honey in bottles. This is because I got the same negative reaction in the mouth and the rest of my body  from sampling the same as I did with pasteurised, liquid bottled honey. I later found out that UK law allows honey to be labelled "raw" as long as one "only" heats the honey up to 80 degrees Celsius for a short time! So I stick to raw honeycomb unless it has been imported from abroad, as the latter must have been preheated beforehand.
I was told by a friendly, honest beekeeper in the UK that it is possible to put raw honey into jars without heating it but this manual work is a hassle and takes time so that most beekeepers do not bother, using automation and heating  it first in order to get it fluid enough to quickly pass into the jar.

Given past experience when I was still ill, I should caution that those who are susceptible to sugar  in any way will likely experience some negative effects from eating raw honeycomb in more than small daily amounts, though, admittedly, the wax seems to make any effects much less nauseous than more processed honeys.
" Ron Paul.

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2015, 01:06:41 am »
Haai and I just came back from our mountain drive and we were able to buy wild honeycomb with baby bees frozen in a freezer.  We liked the taste.  It does seem to deteriorate very fast when out of the freezer.  So it seems the good strategy is to keep it in the freezer, then just thaw out bits at a time of what you are going to eat.

This was a first time for me to eat honey comb wild with baby bees.  It's good stuff.

what do you mean by: '' It does seem to deteriorate very fast when out of the freezer. ''?

deteriorate in what way?

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2015, 09:53:33 am »
With all the talk of honeycomb I bought some local truly raw unheated honeycomb from a local beekeeper source I hadn't tried yet. It was awful and it didn't provide any of the mild benefit I get from the raw fermented honey. It even gave me mild nausea and malaise, which the wax unfortunately didn't help with. If I tried to eat more than a small amount, the nausea increased. Ended up throwing much of it out, which I never do with good honey. I much prefer the raw fermented honey and the liquidy yet truly raw tree honeys like raw neem honey. The honeycomb honey was liquidy inside the comb too because it was rather fresh and hadn't thickened much yet, despite being an ordinary clover/wildflower honey that does thicken. I think I've had it with unfermented clover and wildflower honeys. Never again. The fermented honey is also a wildflower honey, yet it gives me benefits instead of problems.

I can eat a whole one pound jar of the fermented stuff (I tried that once out of curiosity when Brady said he did that daily) without noticeable ill effects aside from higher blood sugar and a slightly chapped lower lip that quickly healed and then was in better shape than it had been before. I actually felt better after I ate that one pound jar of fermented honey than I did before, which made Brady's claim about eating a pound a day of raw honey and benefiting believable (I don't think it's a good idea to do that endlessly on a daily basis, though).

I should have guessed. I've had back luck with local honeycombs. Only good honeycomb I've had I had to order via the Internet.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 10:26:12 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2015, 10:38:24 am »
With all the talk of honeycomb I bought some local truly raw unheated honeycomb from a local beekeeper source I hadn't tried yet. It was awful and it didn't provide any of the mild benefit I get from the raw fermented honey. It even gave me mild nausea and malaise, which the wax unfortunately didn't help with. If I tried to eat more than a small amount, the nausea increased. Ended up throwing much of it out, which I never do with good honey. I much prefer the raw fermented honey and the liquidy yet truly raw tree honeys like raw neem honey. The honeycomb honey was liquidy inside the comb too because it was rather fresh and hadn't thickened much yet, despite being an ordinary clover/wildflower honey that does thicken. I think I've had it with unfermented clover and wildflower honeys. Never again. The fermented honey is also a wildflower honey, yet it gives me benefits instead of problems.

I can eat a whole one pound jar of the fermented stuff (I tried that once out of curiosity when Brady said he did that daily) without noticeable ill effects aside from higher blood sugar and a slightly chapped lower lip that quickly healed and then was in better shape than it had been before. I actually felt better after I ate that one pound jar of fermented honey than I did before, which made Brady's claim about eating a pound a day of raw honey and benefiting believable (I don't think it's a good idea to do that endlessly on a daily basis, though).

I should have guessed. I've had back luck with local honeycombs. Only good honeycomb I've had I had to order via the Internet.

Maybe that honey was partially made by the bees from sugar water instead of nectar. I don't know if there's enough nectar yet in your area for the bees to be off sugar water completely.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2015, 10:42:12 am »
Interesting thought, though I can buy the fermented honey any time of the year without a problem, and it's made along the same general latitude in the next state over, though it is stored so it can ferment, so it's possible they use less sugar. On the other hand, I have the same problems (not quite as bad, but nearly so) with the exact same brand of honey when it's not fermented, and there the only difference is the fermenting. So the fermentation seems to be the key for me when it comes to wildflower honeys.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 10:48:00 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2015, 08:53:47 pm »
I thought the P5P had mostly gotten rid of those problems.

Offline ciervo-chaman

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2015, 09:24:48 pm »
paleophil, do you know how they do the fermentation? have you already explained it in other tread?? have you tried to make it?

after reading your post i want to try and see the difference, i'm eating honey actually.

is that fermentation in wich you raise the water content on the honey just a little bit? lets say maybe 20%? and then just sit in the darkness?

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2015, 12:58:46 am »
Yes, P5P does help some with carb tolerance, less muscle tension, slightly cleaner teeth, slightly better mental clarity and performance, slightly better sleep, improved dream recall and more colorful dreams. All rather mild, though welcome, effects. Like most supplements, it helped early on the most (presumably because the deficiency improved as I took it). It seems to provide slightly better alcohol tolerance too, though I still have much lower tolerance than the avg person and far lower than the reports about my ancestors and traditional peoples in general.

I don't recall P5P helping that much with the lower lip chapping symptom from consuming easily-digestible glucose, but maybe I'm just forgetting. For some reason, that has been one of the more stubborn symptoms, though it too has improved during the last year or so. It seems more correlated with when I started consuming more prebiotic foods, especially resistant starch powders like potato starch, mung bean starch and tigernut flour and the whole foods that contain them, more so than with P5P. These aren't normally regarded as "Paleo" here, so I try not to anger folks by discussing them much. My long term goal is to get to the point where I no longer need the powders except for an occasional horchata beverage treat or energy boost and will be able to get all or nearly all the prebiotic sustenance I need from whole versions of the foods.

BTW, I don't mean to give the impression that I consider the lip chapping thing a serious issue. It's more of an early indicator of overdoing it on glucose, which I discovered through experience. Danny Roddy (a former member here) also had this symptom and in his case vitamin A helped the most. He thinks salt deficiency can also be a factor. For some reason, neither of those seemed to help me much, but prebiotics do seem to very gradually help. I'm also finding that I need less and less of various supplements, like P5P, potassium, zinc and magnesium and my fingernails and toenails are looking better. So maybe I'm slowly developing more good bacteria which are generating the nutrients I need.

My long-term goal is to get to the point where I don't need much in the way of supplements. I may always need vitamin D (whether internally or externally, we shall see), though, because it's difficult to get enough sunlight where I live and in this modern era. I just got a blood panel done today, so I'll get an update on the status of some vitamins, such as D, which I was very low in last time. Unfortunately, I wasn't good about taking D3 supplements recently, so it may not be much improved.

Speaking of alcohol tolerance, someone recently reported that the Elixa probiotic greatly helped them with that, and I have that on order, so it will be interesting to see if it does anything there, though that wasn't the primary reason I decided to try it.

It has been quite a while since I tried the unfermented version of Really Raw Honey. So regarding that, I was referring to a past comparison of the fermented vs. unfermented of that brand. At the time, I had tried the fermented variety first and I was curious as to how much of the superiority of that honey over other brands was due to the fermentation vs. the honey itself. For me, I found that fermentation accounted for most of the difference, which was a bit surprising even to me, because hardly anyone talks about fermentation (though there was a brief mention of it in an article at the WAPF site).

I did discuss before that the Really Raw customer service lady explained that they don't do anything to the honey to make it ferment aside from let it ferment naturally. However, she is not a beekeeper. My understanding is that the Really Raw people just buy the honey from beekeepers and tell the beekeepers their requirements about keeping it truly raw and such (and Really Raw honey is one that Aajonus himself personally verified as truly raw when tested randomly--it was from Aajonus that I found out about it, so I owe the guy a debt of gratitude on that--he really did know his honeys). I read beekeeping forums in the past, and what the beekeepers report is that when the honey is kept in a warm and humid environment is when it tends to ferment naturally, and they normally throw it out then, but the Really Raw people and some others buy it from beekeepers who are aware of the small demand for it from people who will even pay extra for it because they know about the taste, digestability, and health benefits.

The Really Raw folks are very nice about answering questions to the best of their ability. You can email or call them. If I ever get a jar of honey that's broken or too smoky (because the beekeeper overly smoked the bees when extracting the comb), they replace it free of charge.

I tried fermenting honey and making mead and failed miserably at it. I figure it's just as well, as I should probably try to improve my sugar and alcohol tolerance further before getting into making foods that contain either of them.

I haven't had Really Raw honey in a while, because I've been focusing on lowering the budget and trying to build up some savings, but I've got the budget in pretty good shape finally, so I'm looking forward to ordering that honey again. It's not for everyone (my nephews say they can taste the fermented taste, which I no longer could detect after the first couple teaspoons I tried--it just tastes nicely sweet and flavorful to me now--and say they don't like it--whereas I like the taste of fermented foods quite a bit).

Offline IronDog

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2015, 04:59:28 pm »
Maybe that honey was partially made by the bees from sugar water instead of nectar. I don't know if there's enough nectar yet in your area for the bees to be off sugar water completely.

I think that it is quite possible that it was. I bought half a kg of comb honey from another supplier, and after a spoonful have not touched it since. The impression left with me is that they feed there bees glucose.
I got another batch from my previous supplier and it is very, very moorish.

Also, one thing to keep in mind when having an adverse reaction is the honey may be contaminated by nectar from flowers toxic to humans.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2015, 10:44:45 am »
paleophil, dammit, i wish i had money just to buy you this honey so i could have your critique, its raw, its grown in far out locations in an area that is so arid you cant really have industrial agriculture, and there is very limited human culture as well, just the subtle desert and all of its wild inhabitants, its amazingly delicious http://shop.nativeseeds.org/products/shf500

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2015, 10:50:11 am »
Thanks for the thought and recommendation, Jessica.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2015, 07:18:38 pm »
Do you notice any health benefits from the Happy Bear Honey?

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2015, 10:31:34 pm »
i havent had it for quite a while.  although i ate decent amounts, i never ate it regularly enough to notice health benefits. all i noticed was maximum quality and taste.  i have tried really raw honey, and while its good quality because it is raw and not filtered, i prefer happy bear because it is also those things plus comes from the most delicious mesquites and desert flowers.  i really havent had any other high quality honey that can compare in taste.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2015, 06:04:15 am »
I'm not particularly fond of the unfermented version of Really Raw honey and didn't notice any benefits from it like I did the fermented version. To me they are very different.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk