Author Topic: Starting to eat raw meat, need advice on storage, etc..  (Read 16152 times)

Offline DonJon

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
Starting to eat raw meat, need advice on storage, etc..
« on: December 29, 2014, 11:34:01 am »
I've just started to eat raw meat, can anyone give me some advice on how to store the meat and fat? Right now they are in an open plastic container and a white mold has grown on some of the lamb fat that is touching the bottom. Some of the meat looks dehydrated after a week of storage and parts of the beef that are touching plastic surface has brownish goo and a little yellow on it. Is this normal and safe to eat? What proportions should I eat if I'm new to raw meat. I'm 5'10 180 pounds. Can I combine the meat and fat with any other foods for better digestion, or are they best eaten together/alone? What are their digestion/transit times? Anything else I should know before I dive into RPD? I want to minimize any issues that may pop up while I slowly make this change in my diet. I currently eat lots of cooked meat with salads, Raw eggs, dairy, honey, coconut milk, occasionally sprouted nuts, and fruit.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Starting to eat raw meat, need advice on storage, etc..
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 12:39:40 pm »
It's better to store it in glass. You might want to scrape off the part that was touching the plastic, it probably won't taste good. 

There's nothing wrong with dehydrated/dried meat.

Most people eat between 5:1 and 2:1 ratio, meat to fat. Digestion time varies. I have no problem eating meat right after (or right before) fruit, but that depends on the person and the fruit. Same for veggies and other foods. You just have to experiment. Small failures are no big deal.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 01:06:35 pm »
I "dove" into RPD without any transition. That was not a problem for me. I learned best by reading about various topics and then trying it out myself. I store meat on glass plates or hanging in the fridge by stainless steel hooks. If the meat is on a plate, I turn it daily to keep dampness from sliming up the bottom side of the meat. I prefer the slightly dried raw surface that forms on the meat. I prefer to eat fish in its freshest state. I don't actually use a ratio of meat to fat. Instead, I rely on my senses to tell me how much to eat of various foods. My one "rule" is to imagine how a paleolithic human would do something and then make a close approximation living here in a large California city. Eating foods in their natural season is part of that rule - Ms. Cavewoman wouldn't find asparagus in the fall or nuts in the springtime.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline DonJon

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 12:58:55 pm »
One of my usual meals is slow cooked chicken with a salad and tons of fermented sides. I know AV advises against eating raw fat with vegetation. Let's say I don't have raw meat, just raw fat, is it ok to eat cooked meat with raw fat and a salad? Or best to eat cooked meat raw fat and no salad. I don't have time to space my meals out for optimal digestion.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 01:13:00 pm »
... is it ok ...

First, decide if you want to ask questions that being with "is it okay?" - basically, if you want to follow someone's advice, then follow it. If not, then use your own experience to determine what sits well in your tummy.

Also, you can look at this type of question from a paleolithic perspective. Even when meats were eaten cooked, fires and cooking might be a nighttime activity, whereas eating vegetation is a daytime nibble, so cooked meat, raw fat, and salad might not be a likely meal, so AV might be on to something there.

How many meals are you eating now, that you can't space things out? It might help to "think outside the box" when it comes to meals - the three-item format of the modern-day meal (meat, starch, veggie) with salad appetizer and fruit for desert, is probably not the best paleo model. I remember when "they" told me that a salad needed at least 10 vegetables in it, and I used to sit there and chop up ten veggies. Now, if I want a carrot, I eat a carrot, and the other nine are going to have to wait their turn.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 01:18:42 am »
One of my usual meals is slow cooked chicken with a salad and tons of fermented sides. I know AV advises against eating raw fat with vegetation. Let's say I don't have raw meat, just raw fat, is it ok to eat cooked meat with raw fat and a salad? Or best to eat cooked meat raw fat and no salad. I don't have time to space my meals out for optimal digestion.

Grain-fed chicken should not be eaten regularly, cooked or raw...and I really doubt your chicken is grain-free.

Offline DonJon

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 12:31:08 am »
Thanks, the glass plate works much better.

Offline DonJon

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 12:44:40 pm »
Can anyone give me advice on raw fish? How do you guys store fish and how long do they last before going bad? I'm thinking about marinading them in lemon juice or ACV just to preserve it more, or is it best to put in coldest refrigerator spot. Is it ok if I eat some bones that I missed when filleting the fish (will stomach be able to break bones down to point of digestion and no damage to intestines?) So far I've been filleting them and eating with avocado, tomato, and a little raw honey, tastes great! I've heard that seaweed improves digestion of raw seafood, is this true?

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 01:45:13 pm »
Can anyone give me advice on raw fish? How do you guys store fish and how long do they last before going bad? I'm thinking about marinading them in lemon juice or ACV just to preserve it more, or is it best to put in coldest refrigerator spot. Is it ok if I eat some bones that I missed when filleting the fish (will stomach be able to break bones down to point of digestion and no damage to intestines?) So far I've been filleting them and eating with avocado, tomato, and a little raw honey, tastes great! I've heard that seaweed improves digestion of raw seafood, is this true?

store fish in glass. It doesn't really go bad,  especially if it's never been frozen, but it will turn into high/fermented fish starting about 5-7 days after you get it.

Bones are fine to eat. Stomach acid dissolves bone very easily.

You can marinate fish in lemon/lime juice. It works better with lean fish. I've not used that method to prevent fish going "bad", but it will probably work.

I don't know about the seaweed. Where did you get that from?

Offline DonJon

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2015, 10:37:22 pm »
There are a few articles on it, I did some more research on it  ...I guess seaweed doesn't necessarily help digest fish, but the Japanese have an easier time eating sushi due to the bacteria they developed that helps assimilate nutrients in seaweed.
I assume you leave the fish on a glass plate with no cover?

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2015, 12:55:19 pm »

I assume you leave the fish on a glass plate with no cover?

Sometimes, but usually I cover it. It will dry out if you don't.  If you want it to dry out, that's fine...sometimes I am in the mood for some drier fish.

Offline DonJon

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2015, 12:01:48 pm »
One more question, I've been getting beef shank from the store quite a bit. It has tons of bone marrow in the middle which tastes great, the muscle meat is very tender, but the tendons are very hard to chew. I end up cutting them up to bite size pieces and only spend a little time chewing them. Is it worth my time to eat the tendons as well? I'm not sure how well we can digest them or if chewing on them even helps digestion.

I've been paring the beef shanks with an equal amount of raw beef fat and a little honey, any idea if eggs help digest the shanks?

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2015, 02:03:44 pm »
One more question, I've been getting beef shank from the store quite a bit. It has tons of bone marrow in the middle which tastes great, the muscle meat is very tender, but the tendons are very hard to chew. I end up cutting them up to bite size pieces and only spend a little time chewing them. Is it worth my time to eat the tendons as well? I'm not sure how well we can digest them or if chewing on them even helps digestion.

I've been paring the beef shanks with an equal amount of raw beef fat and a little honey, any idea if eggs help digest the shanks?

I've not tried eggs with meat, so I can't say. Many people prefer to avoid the egg white,  so there's that.

tendon is worth eating, if it tastes good to you by itself. Don't bother chewing it too much, just make SURE you cut the chunks small enough to easily swallow.  Your stomach will easily break it down.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2015, 03:48:42 pm »
One tip:- always make sure the raw meat is exposed to plenty of fresh oxygen. I have  sometimes bought vacuum-packed meat and left it in the fridge for too long(10 days plus) and the taste of the meat becomes quite toxic. Indeed, botulinism might even occur, apparently, if one eats raw meat that has been unaerated for a long time.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline DonJon

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2015, 01:39:57 am »
I've been raw Paleo for about 3 months and just found 3 worms in my stool, each about 8 inches long, white, and about the size of a noodle. The end of the worms branch out and latch onto stool. Should I be worried? How do you guys identify what type of worms you have? My brother says they can cause constipation by not allowing food to pass through intestines normally(I hadn't passed a stool for more than a day, and this one was large/hard...sign of constipation).

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2015, 01:45:58 am »
Just go to the doctor and get some anti-parasite medicine and get rid of them. I had tapeworms for a few months. They did no actual harm, but the trouble was that bits were being expelled from the anus even when I was not on the toilet which was most unaesthetic, so I had to get rid of them via medication.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline dariorpl

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2015, 03:51:25 am »
I remember when "they" told me that a salad needed at least 10 vegetables in it, and I used to sit there and chop up ten veggies. Now, if I want a carrot, I eat a carrot, and the other nine are going to have to wait their turn.

Omg, did they really use to say that? That's hilarious and crazy.

Also, I loved the idea of the meathooks inside the fridge.
We now live in a world where medicine destroys health, law destroys justice, education destroys knowledge, government destroys order, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and banking destroys the economy

Offline dariorpl

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2015, 04:00:15 am »
I've been raw Paleo for about 3 months and just found 3 worms in my stool, each about 8 inches long, white, and about the size of a noodle. The end of the worms branch out and latch onto stool. Should I be worried? How do you guys identify what type of worms you have? My brother says they can cause constipation by not allowing food to pass through intestines normally(I hadn't passed a stool for more than a day, and this one was large/hard...sign of constipation).

From my perspective, if you have intestinal worms, your body keeps them there to help you, otherwise it would expel them, and if they are getting out there is a good chance that you needed them in the past, but now you don't.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-08-24/lifestyle/sns-rt-us-usa-health-parasitesbre87n0uw-20120824_1_rheumatoid-arthritis-pig-whipworm-autoimmune-disease-drugs

Either way, if you want to get rid of intestinal worms without medication, I hear you should have a lot of raw hot peppers, garlic, onion, and lime and lemon juice. Particularly the hot peppers help get rid of parasites when you eat a ton of them (to the point where it's way too hot to enjoy the meal).
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 04:07:59 am by dariorpl »
We now live in a world where medicine destroys health, law destroys justice, education destroys knowledge, government destroys order, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and banking destroys the economy

Offline JeuneKoq

• Chief
  • It's french for "Cockerel"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2015, 05:08:05 am »
From my perspective, if you have intestinal worms, your body keeps them there to help you, otherwise it would expel them, and if they are getting out there is a good chance that you needed them in the past, but now you don't.
This makes sense to me. It goes hand in hand with another theory which states that germs are actually used by the body to repair and heal itself, and the immune system is just some form of police that manages the population and task of these germs. I mean, we do have E.Coli and other germs already in our body. Mainstream medicine believe they just miraculously lay dormant for years, then just randomly wake up, proliferate and attack the host body one unfortunate day.

Either way, if you want to get rid of intestinal worms without medication, I hear you should have a lot of raw hot peppers, garlic, onion, and lime and lemon juice. Particularly the hot peppers help get rid of parasites when you eat a ton of them (to the point where it's way too hot to enjoy the meal).
Kind of the same principle as antibiotics. Lets bomb the whole place, and hope it kills more bad guys than civilians.

Offline DonJon

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2015, 01:30:36 am »
But aren't there some worms that are more harmful than good ( the body could Be trying to expel them but the worm resist)? What do you guys think about doing a parasite cleanse? Colon cleanse?

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2015, 02:12:18 am »
You don't have to do anything to make your body cleanse itself. Every cell in you body carries on cleansing processes 24/7. If you stop ingesting toxins, the cleansing processes can catch up with your historical mistakes. Cleanses work by overstimulating the bowels. They are harmful to the lining of your intestines. They always reminded us that cleansing is the opposite of nourishing. I'd hate to interrupt the good work that my colon is doing for me by irritating it so that it is forced to defend itself against your assaults.

Did you go to the doctor and get the parasite medicine that TD suggested? What kind of worms were found?

Offline DonJon

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2015, 02:16:44 am »
I've also been trying to look for cheap sources of raw meat but keep the quality as high as possible. I live in San diego, California and have been buying 100% grass fed New Zealand lamb and organic grass fed beef from wholefoods, they also have Mary's chicken, which is pasture raised and fed organic grain/raised in San diego. Does anyone know if these meats are high enough quality to consume raw? Anyone have suggestions on farms I could  buy meat  from online for a fair price?

Offline DonJon

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2015, 02:26:49 am »
No I have not, should I do the parasite cleanse  just so I know what My instestines are dealing with? My brother did a colon cleanse (32 oz of water and 1 table spoon of Himalayan salt) and green stones were passed through his stool, anyone know what they are?

Offline DonJon

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2015, 11:07:09 am »
Aajonus also said frozen meat is only 20% utilizeable, anyone know if this is true? He doesn't give an explanation.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2015, 11:11:35 am »
I remember he says frozen meet deteriorates so bad sometimes that it gives people or dogs eczema?  So the fresher the better.  Of course some of us do compromise.  Never frozen is better.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk