Author Topic: Project Raw Paleo Footage  (Read 34596 times)

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Project Raw Paleo Footage
« on: February 18, 2015, 08:13:54 am »
Ive been thinking about doing some video clips of my raw meat preparation, and am going to start posting some to Youtube.

I may need some volunteers from technical support, primarily for editing my video clips into some kind of presentable format. Nothing professional quality is required, I want it to be amateur, it wont have to be anything like a documentary, just some spontaneous clips with paleo diet hash tags, so that it would get hits from mainstream paleo seekers.

Eventually the clips can be tied together so that a story can emerge for people following. I want to call it paleo for beginners, and run through everything I do from Killing the animal... too blinding its organs into pudding.

Any help or advise would be appreciated.
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline Raw Matt18

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Project Raw Paleo Footage
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 08:36:16 am »
This is what I would do i would just post videos with a phone or iPhone if it has good quality. Make seperate videos for topics you want to talk about or if your going to eat in video do that, for exposure you could go on marksdailyappleapple and post things for your channel. Editing I wouldn't know it dosent seem like you would need it but that's just me.
Ignorance is whats destroying our planet, our health, and our lives.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 10:56:32 am »
I will just start uploading footage from todays slaughter, and run through how I butcher, then in the next few days shoot some more of me preparing meals.

I would be open to any suggestions on what direction to take after that, and may just need some assistance on setting up the YouTube Chanel proper and some support  in the comment section.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 11:26:27 am »
I can offer amateur assistance. Light editing is a good thing to keep the viewers' 100% attention.  You can also add overlay information and subtitles, if necessary. I watch a lot of youtube videos about my hobby interests, and the really good ones look like they were prepared and didn't spend a whole bunch of time jawboning and chuckling nervously at themselves.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline albertoceraw

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 02:33:23 am »
Perhaps you could upload a trial video so that we can give our suggestions and advice. Then you can re-do the video if you find those suggestions helpful, as a way of practicing and getting feedback.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 10:11:05 am »

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 10:13:35 am »

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 12:35:42 pm »
Suggestions:

Splice videos so the whole operation is on one video.

Narration would add a lot - explain everything without sounding impromptu, even if you need a script to avoid annoying repetitious phrases (e.g. like and you know).

Re-title the video so the title is more predictive of the content. You can use a little showmanship here. Think up a catchy and descriptive name for your series, but "Paleo for Beginners" sounds like a ho-hum cooked paleo housewife's recipe series about how to switch your family to cooked paleo.

I don't like the name "Derek Hunter" because you really aren't hunting, so "Hunter" might as well be your real last name. I'd go ahead and use your real last name, since you have appeared on shows with that name.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 02:59:28 pm »
It seems normal, though, for americans to use alternative names to their real name. Aajonus did that a lot. I suppose, from a European perspective, only con-men would use extra names, but Americans apparently do this all the time in business etc.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 03:06:37 pm »
It seems normal, though, for americans to use alternative names to their real name....

I'm not against his using a nom de plume, just that this particular one lacks luster.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2015, 12:18:17 am »
My full Name is Derek Hunter Nance, though I have nothing to hide, there is a Gay boy scout Youtuber by the same name of Derek Nance,( which there is nothing wrong with that), but I would rather not have Gay boy scout propaganda show up if people where to Google my name.

I ran through some of the footage, and my brothers camera isn't the best, and the audio could be better, next time I will try to speak up a little more and explain things more thoroughly and verbosely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtJ1Bs7eCJQ

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2015, 12:25:49 am »

Offline A_Tribe_Called_Paleo

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2015, 01:49:59 am »
just watched all 6 videos. they're great man, keep it up.

Offline albertoceraw

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2015, 02:28:08 am »
The videos are great. They get out of focus sometimes but it's not too distracting. However the audio is a problem. I would suggest as Evehart said to narrate the videos. Do an extra audio file where you narrate whats going on, and then join it with the video.  Thats way better than you having to speak up.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2015, 12:04:17 pm »

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2015, 12:08:24 pm »
In Part 5, I only wish the camera angle was looking more directly into the body cavity. I see that the camera is moving around, so maybe a better angle is an option.

Your natural narration is excellent - you have a good speaking style, nothing annoying.

What's the clicky noise in the background. Is it avoidable?

Offline ciervo-chaman

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2015, 09:40:03 pm »
wow, thanks!! after seeing you doing all that, now i want to do it too!

i see there is a cold winter where you live, it must not be difficult to store the meat even without fridge, can i ask you how do you store all that food?

how many people is actually feeding from one animal like that and for how much time?

its summer here, if, for example, i can get a sheep (30 kg), and if is only me that is eating from it. how much time do the organs can be stored and maintain a nice flavor? is there an order of eating the things cause some of them spoil quicker?

sorry if too much questions! i really apreciate what you are doing with these videos and info!

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2015, 04:12:44 am »
I notice you list your name as Derek Hunter. Did you change your name? I thought your last name was Nance?

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2015, 11:54:23 am »
I notice you list your name as Derek Hunter. Did you change your name? I thought your last name was Nance?

Hunter is his middle name. Apparently there's another Derek Nance on YouTube that is well-known already.

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2015, 12:07:29 pm »
Interesting.  I usually gut it first then skin it.  I should try the other way around.
If you can post how you do the head that would be great.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2015, 04:15:30 am »
I find that you have more room to carefully remove the innards with the belly skin and abdominal membrane cut out first

I skin out around the belly and then take the guts out right away because the longer you leave them in the greater the chance that the digestive fluids will leach out and taint the organ fats, so its best to go ahead and remove the innards before you invert the animal to skin out the rest of the way.     

The head can be tricky to remove, You have to find the "yes joint", and cut around it with a flexible filet knife.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NegkLBZMQJo
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 04:24:11 am by sabertooth »

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2015, 06:32:16 am »
More feedback: Part 7 (innards) - Watch your light source (sun direction) so that you aren't showing us something that is in YOUR shadow, as happened with the liver.

Part 8 (hack saw) - add narration or annotations to say what you are cutting (flank, loin). Now I'm nitpicking - anyone who is actually going to cut up a lamb isn't going to be that ignorant, but I had to say it anyway. Once I get started, there's no stopping me. l)

Offline ciervo-chaman

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2015, 08:19:09 am »
hi! sabertooth, i need your advice! i decided to buy a sheep half and half with my brother.

what are the most basics tools i need to do the butchering completely? for what i have seen on the videos i need a very sharp knife, and a saw. maybe 2 or 3 diferent size of knifes?

oh i see you wrote flexible filet knife, on your posts. i will reread and re view all your videos :P

thanks! i really want to taste blood hehe

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2015, 11:50:28 pm »
A bone saw is nice, but not necessary. For smaller animals like goats and sheep you can probably get away with a very sharp filet-type knife for precision cuts and a heavy duty cleaver that is stout enough to play double duty as a light hatchet. You can get a wooden mallet to pound the cleaver through the breast bone and the front of the pelvis.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk