Author Topic: New member with a few simple questions  (Read 4661 times)

Offline Owen405

• Forager
    • View Profile
New member with a few simple questions
« on: April 28, 2015, 11:58:31 pm »
Hi I haven't started eating raw yet. I want to, but I am honestly still a little afraid of the consequences of eating raw meat.  I was inspired by some reading I did on Derek Nance so I did a lot more reading and found many people on this forum are perfectly fine despite going raw, so I think I am now a converted believer in Raw Paleo. Before I start chowing down, I want to make sure if it is safe to eat pre-cut pastured or step 3+ animal products from Whole Foods raw, including chicken? Is this too risky or perfectly fine? Should I get my meat some other way?

Also, I am curious, how has raw paleo helped you vs. cooked meat paleo? Any tips or advice? If I am experiencing symptoms of parasite infestations, should I just let them live inside of me (do parasites actually have benefits)?

Thanks,
Owen

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: New member with a few simple questions
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 12:39:12 am »
RPDers very rarely, if ever, get parasitic infections. But, if they ever do, a simple trip to the local doctor can get them a prescription for an anti-parasite remedy which  quickly gets rid of the minor  problem.

Avoid wholefoods as it is way too expensive, and  hardly value for money. The raw chicken, however organic, will likely be substandard. The natural diet of chickens involves worms, insects for the most part, with grains being only a tiny part of their natural diet.

My experience re cooked palaeolithic diets  was abysmal. I only experienced a few benefits while going raw vegan and raw fruitarian, but almost all of my health recovery resulted from going fully rawpalaeo.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 02:23:14 pm by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline A_Tribe_Called_Paleo

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 01:49:05 am »
IMO avoid ALL meat from wholefoods!!!!

my friend works as a butcher for them @ their solana beach location. If the meat is not local it is pumped with many chemicals to keep it fresh. All their cutting boards and knives are cleaned with pure Chlorine and other chemicals. It gets transferred onto the meats.  -v

Even local meats their are suspect to me. Their definition of local is withing 350 miles.

i recommend going to eatwild.com and finding a local farm/butcher you can trust.

Offline Owen405

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 03:04:47 am »
For me, it is just convenient to go to Whole Foods as I am a college student without a car and that is one of the closest supermarkets to me. I don't have a problem if some of the chemicals get in my food; I have certainly never tasted any from any supermarket cut in the past.  There will always be contamination in all of our foods.

But, I will try going to a local farmer's market. Usually, however, I've found that the cuts they sell  are more or equally expensive as the grass-fed cuts in Whole Foods or Safeway.  Though, the time for me to access the market isn't great and the closest farm that sells grass-fed beef is like 40 miles away....
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 03:10:32 am by Owen405 »

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 08:51:43 am »
Is there a farmers market in your town?  You might try and see if they dont have a meat vendor there.  You might also check if there is a weston a price chapter in your town, they often set up deliveries from decent farms.  I have had mixed result from Whole Foods but am still alive and kicking....perhaps just go for larger cuts, avoid their ground products, and avoid chicken.  I have heard that factory farmed "organic" chicken is still allowed growth stimulants...

Offline A_Tribe_Called_Paleo

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 09:34:13 am »
i would rather eat less high quality meat from local farmers market, and avoid meat from wholefoods.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 11:37:41 am »
Whole Foods step 3 is not worth the money.

Offline Owen405

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 08:34:38 am »
Yes, thankfully there are a few farmers markets within biking distance. I am going to try going when they are open and when I can (between classes). Thank you guys for your tips

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk