Author Topic: Essential grasfed fat  (Read 3044 times)

William

Essential grasfed fat
« on: April 05, 2009, 02:40:58 am »

"LOGAN, Utah: CLA researcher, Dr. Tilak Dhiman, published a paper that said grassfed meats alone probably provided insufficient CLA to effectively prevent cancer.

However, he said grassfed meats eaten in conjunction with 100% grassfed dairy products could be very effective.

In an exclusive interview with this publication, Dhiman said the whole problem is that the CLA is found in the fat of the animal and that many grassfed animals are currently sold very lean."

So the quest for fat continues. This is frustrating.

Offline donrad

• Bear Hunter
  • Raw Omnivore
    • View Profile
Re: Essential grasfed fat
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 04:24:04 am »
I guess I am lucky to live in Kansas. The grassfed beef here has plenty of fat. The cows just stand around all day eating clovers and grasses and get fat. A lot of farmers are getting into the business because the demand is growing. I can now get grassfed from two different sources at the local supermarket.

I suggest you try to find some goose and or brains. Geese can survive on a grass diet. Beef brains are hard to get because of mad cow, but if you find a local producer you might get lucky.

I am glad to hear about the milk.
Naturally, Don

William

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 05:01:45 am »
Hm thanks.
Will ask farmers about geese.

JaX

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 05:51:05 am »
Even though most regular cuts of grassfed beef don't have much fat on them, grassfed beef DO accumulate some fat around the back and the chest area. Most of this is used for ground beef or other beef products so it's difficult to buy those chunks of fat. The fat from the back/chest of the beef is yellowish (if it is grassfed) compared to suet which is white.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 06:01:21 am by Seeker »

William

Re: Essential grassfed fat
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 07:08:40 am »
True, but the local climate has a short grass-growing season, which is why almost all farmers "finsih" their cattle on grain.
I've only once got any of the deep yellow fat from my grassfed beef farmer; if he had more I would get it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk