Author Topic: Deer carcass question  (Read 2761 times)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Deer carcass question
« on: May 21, 2015, 10:22:15 pm »
I am thinking of buying a whole deer carcass. I suspect that it has had all the innards removed. What I would like to know is this:- roughly how many kilos of raw meat one can get from a whole deer carcass? Thanks.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Deer carcass question
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 12:30:49 am »
Depends on what kind of deer.  Whitetail 2-3year olds are about 100-130lb inlcuding bones.   Elk deer is probably double that if not more.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 03:34:38 am by ys »

Offline RogueFarmer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 01:46:27 am »
There are tons of different species of deer. Red deer which are actually small Eurasian elk are huge, but their size varies considerably, 200-400 pounds for bucks and about 3/5 that size for does. They say White tail deer in the states dress out 40% meat although I'm having trouble believing that. A big elk will weigh typically 800 pounds, will field dress to 540 pounds and will yield 270 pounds of meat. As what you will be eating is most likely red deer, say you get a 400 pound animal, 135 pounds of boneless meat should be a reasonable expectation. There are many other species of deer, some larger some smaller. Pier David's is 600 pounds and extinct in the wild. I would promote eating them because it will encourage the preservation of the species. Fallow deer are another common deer species in europe and white tails have been introduced.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 03:14:35 am »
135 pounds?! That's interesting. I might have to pay c.250 euros for a whole deer carcass(likely minus any innards) so that would be  under 2 euros a pound, not bad.....
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline RogueFarmer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 04:04:14 am »
Like I said, thats for a big buck, which could be half that size and a doe could be even smaller.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 03:08:45 pm »
Like I said, thats for a big buck, which could be half that size and a doe could be even smaller.
Even 6 euros a pound is not the end of the world.
" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk