Author Topic: PaleoPhil's Journal  (Read 338813 times)

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
Re: PaleoPhil's Journal
« Reply #850 on: September 11, 2015, 07:22:58 pm »
http://www.rawpaleodietforum.com/journals/paleophil's-journal/msg132248/#msg132248

Are you also incorporating R3 into your diet?
Yes. I don't discuss that much here as this is a raw forum and I try to respect that.

Can you give me a name for the Mung bean starch, I live in the mountains and there really are no Thai markets around.
I just buy Thai brands instead of Chinese, because of China's relatively poor record with food safety. Online is much more expensive than Thai markets, mainly due to shipping cost. I don't have any complaints with the Pine Brand that I get at the Thai market, which I think I also bought online once, though I don't know that it's necessarily any better than any others.

Relaxing my neck muscles is a goal for me, PS helps but I think it will continue to improve.

Your help is superb. Thanks
Some other things that helped me with muscle tension are Redwood Hill Farm cultured goat milk kefir and a local traditional churned jersey cow buttermilk (both are pasteurized, unfortunately; I do better with fermented dairy vs unfermented and from other sources than Holstein cows--even raw Holstein milk, which I tried recently), Gerolsteiner mineral water, and a local gunpowder green tea. I had to learn this by trying many different things, as I didn't see anyone recommend any of these things, specifically (though I later saw some people recommend Gerolsteiner and I had seen people recommend cow's milk versions of raw kefir or pasteurized kefir).

Glad to be of service.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: October 27, 2015, 10:58:08 am »
I'm finding that my nutrient status appears to be continuing to improve since I incorporated more Microbiota Accessible Carbohydrates in my diet. For example, I can't recall the last time I badly needed a potassium or zinc supplement (such as for muscle spasms/cramps or bad zit breakouts) and I need less Mg than I used to. There's still room for improvement. In hindsight it looks like going too LC for too long worsened my nutrient status. It was difficult to recognize, because I already had nutrient deficiency symptoms before trying LC Paleo. It wasn't until I started experimenting with MACs that I realized how much and how easily I could improve things. Thanks again to MuhammadSunshine for tipping me off about that topic, and I'm embarrassed about my excessive early skepticism.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: October 27, 2015, 11:26:54 am »
Cool beans....wait, do beans have much RS? LOL

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: October 28, 2015, 09:21:13 pm »
I realize they might not be paleo or raw, but which MACs have been helpful for you?

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: October 29, 2015, 09:26:34 am »
Hi Ionna! I guess raw tiger nuts (I find they help most in the form of a raw flour that is not refined or separated at all and is instead a truly whole ground raw tuber flour, of which I normally filter out the largest bits and make a raw horchata with--I'll bet I would handle raw fresh whole tiger nuts well too, if they were available, as I handle raw small potatoes quite well now), raw jicama, raw green and semi-ripe plantains and bananas (and some ripe to super-ripe ones now and then--I think my tolerance is gradually increasing for the super-ripe ones; and semi-green and even some some green bananas now taste sweeter and yummier to me and I found dried semi-ripe plantains to be the tastiest form of banana of all for me--like a yummy fruit leather--but they don't always come out well), raw mung bean starch, raw berries and papaya and other raw fruits (some in moderation, and I had to build up my tolerance for some of them), raw and cooked potatoes (including cooked and cooled, which increases their RS3 content), cooked beans, uncooked soaked oats (rolled or steel-cut, which are briefly heated during processing). Also one particular goats milk kefir, for some reason, and raw fermented honey and raw honey rich in honeydew from insects feeding on bushes/shrubs/trees. I'm probably forgetting some things. I have encountered hostility to these foods from both Paleoists and Peatarians, most of whom haven't even tried most of the foods, so I haven't found many people to discuss them with, aside from Tatertot Tim and a few other people.

People tend to become heavily influenced by one or more diet gurus, such as Loren Cordain, Ray Audette, Mark Sisson, Gary Taubes, Jimmy Moore, Jack Kruse, Ron Rosedale, Ray Peat, Doug Graham, Dr. McDougall, T. Colin Campbell, .... and tend to reject anything that doesn't fit with their claims. I think they all offer some interesting info, but I don't think any of them gets everything right (and I don't mean disrespect by that--I don't think anyone gets everything right, including me).

I don't know if these foods are a mere stepping stone to a diet richer in other foods that Peatarians, raw vegans and some raw Paleoists advocate, like super-ripe sweet fruits, or if they are part of a long-term healthy diet, such as Tatertot advocates. I'm open to either possibility. For now I'm just thankful that they seem to be helping. I've never been one to say things like "zero carb for life" or "high carb for ever" and what I've learned in my own experience and watching others over the years has reinforced for me that such claims are empty and the people who shout them the loudest usually end up changing their tunes later on. :)

I've been wondering if it might be beneficial to include some C4 plant foods beyond tiger nuts in my diet, given the recently discovered role of C4 plant foods in the evolutionary history of our ancestors going back millions of years. I am still getting used to the possibility, though, as they are not what I would have guessed years ago would be healthy foods, given the influence that Loren Cordain, Ray Audette and certain others had on me.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #855 on: October 29, 2015, 10:30:24 am »
I kind of wish Lex would try a little of those, just to see what they did for him. Given his history, it would probably just be misery, but I'm still curious.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk